“Getting married and vacationing at the Golden Nugget Hotel - Las Vegas”

Golden Nugget Hotel
Ranked #91 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed March 27, 2010

This review is for anyone considering getting married/staying at the Golden Nugget Hotel in Las Vegas. I apologize for the long length of the review but I know I would have really appreciated having this sort of review before we booked our 6 day wedding\vacation at the Golden Nugget. We were married there in mid Feb 2010. All in all, we are happy with our decision to marry and vacation at the Golden Nugget. I will give a detailed review of my entire experience below, ranking everything on a 1 thru 10 score, but just to sum it up – our overall experience was positive. I would rank it an 8.5 out of 10. My individual ratings of each item are: Reservations –rated a 10, check-in – 6, wedding – 10, room – 10, gambling – 4, salon – 10, hotel staff – 10.

First, we looked at many hotels and chapels in Las Vegas but decided on the Golden Nugget because it was so close to the license bureau, it was reasonably priced, we wanted something that was nice and not cheesy for the ceremony, we wanted a place that would likely be around for a while so we could revisit on anniversaries, and we’d heard the gambling odds were a little better downtown.

Reservations: We made room reservations via the internet (room and air was booked as a package deal.). We used promo code which was to include several hotel perks such as a coupon book. We were booked for 5 nights into a standard king room in the new rush tower. A few days before we were to leave for Vegas, I called the hotel’s 1800 number because I realized I needed a fridge in the room to store some medication. They said no problem. Before hanging up they offered me a VIP package for $28. They said this included VIP check-in, no waiting in line at any of the hotel’s restaurants, a guarantee of a king size bed in our room, and some other perks. We took this offer, and they charged my credit card. See more about the VIP offer below. We had no problems with the reservation process so I give it a 10.

Check-in: Once at the hotel, they did not have us listed for the VIP check in, but went ahead and let us check in anyway at the VIP check-in desk. I had to ask for the coupon book (it was not offered) which was supposed to be included in our promo. I also had to ask for the “go to the front of the line” card which allowed us to skip the line at the hotel’s restaurants – again, it was not offered – I had to ask for it. I asked how much it would cost to upgrade our room and was told that since we were in the rush tower, we were already upgraded (a standard king room in the rush tower was considered an upgrade over the regular Golden Nugget rooms). Since we'd paid an extra $28 for an easy check-in, I was a little disappointed that they didn’t have our information ready and that they didn’t offer us the perks that were supposed to be included in our package – I had to ask for them. But even so, we were checked-in within 15 minutes or so and on our way to the room. I rated the check-in a 6 because there was just a lot of room for improvement.

Room: Our standard king room in the rush tower was absolutely gorgeous. It was just perfect with a sofa/couch and flat screen TV. It was a large room, extremely clean and very modern – I can’t say enough about how pleased we were with it. In fact, after seeing our room I was glad they had not encouraged me to upgrade during check in. The fridge was not in the room when we got there but just a quick phone call to the front desk remedied that. I rate the room at a 10. I just don’t see how it could have been any better.

VIP – this turned out to be a little bargain. There were lines at just about all of the hotel’s restaurants and we were able to walk past everyone waiting to be seated and go to the head of the line. It seemed rude the first couple of times that we did it, but it turned out to be such a time savor that we both agreed it was worth the money and we’d purchase it again next time.

Gambling – The casino wasn’t too smokey or full of bad smells the way some casinos are. We’d heard that the gambling odds at this hotel are excellent. I’d beg to differ. It took us less than an hour to lose our entire daily gambling budget on the slots in the hotel’s casino that first day. We thought it was just an off day but the same thing happened again the next day and the next. However, they did have my favorite slot machine: the “sex and the city” slot machine. It is just a bunch of fun and I was able to play for a long while on it before it too, ate my money. We continued gambling at the Golden Nugget throughout our 6 day stay at the hotel but never got ahead or even close to breaking even on any given day. And just walking through the casino, we noticed that we never heard anyone yelling out excitedly they way you normally hear people that are winning on slots. There were plenty of loud people at the table games, but we weren’t playing table games for the most part. So even though we lost a bunch, I still give the gambling at this casino a 4 out of 10 because we had a so much fun gambling there and the air smelled a bit cleaner than at some of the other downtown casinos.

Salon - Two days before the wedding I went to the hotel salon to have a spray-on tan. It was reasonably priced and turned out beautiful. They recommended doing the tan a couple of days before the wedding so that there will be time to fix any spots that need touching up before the wedding. The salon also did my hair and make-up on my wedding day. I have long hair – to the middle of my back. The salon used a curling iron to make long ringlet curls in the back (which took over an hour) and then a swept up-do look for the front. My makeup looked natural and beautiful. The total price for the tan, hair and make up was somewhere around $160 - $200 (depending on how much you tip) and totally worth it. They made me feel and look like a pampered princess, so I give the salon a 10 out of 10 rating. It just couldn’t have been nicer or better.

Wedding – We were able to walk to the marriage license bureau from the hotel. We went around 10:30 am and we were in and out within 30 minutes. We took our wedding clothes to the front desk to be pressed the day before our wedding. They delivered our pressed clothes to our room that night which was nice. Silke (the hotel’s wedding coordinator) did a wonderful job. We purchased the $299 wedding package from the hotel. On the day of our wedding, Silke, along with the minister and the photographer were on time, ready and waiting for me to arrive at the chapel. The minister was lovely and very professional. He’d obviously done thousands of wedding ceremonies. The chapel was a medium sized room and was decorated tastefully. It really was perfect for any sort of small wedding. The ceremony lasted around 20 minutes and was perfect. Although 6 or 8 photos came with our package, the photographer took almost a hundred. We ended up buying all the photographs he took. He took photos before the ceremony, during and after and also took multiple photos of the entire family. It really documented our special day wonderfully. I give the hotel’s wedding experience a 10 out of 10. Again, I don’t see how it could have been any better.
Note – the minister has to turn in paperwork to the county clerk documenting your wedding before you are allowed to order your final marriage certificate. I think he has up to 10 days to do this. On the 9th day after we returned home, our documentation still wasn’t there. I called and left a message for the minister and within hours the documentation showed up. I’m guessing he probably waits until he has several to drop off to avoid multiple trips to the county clerk’s office – which makes sense. At the wedding, you might want to just ask him when to expect your paperwork to be filed so you have an idea of when to expect it.

Reception – We only had 5 family members with us for the wedding. We had reservations at “The Grotto” restaurant (inside the Golden Nugget) for lunch after the wedding. The Grotto allowed our guests to drop off our wedding gifts there before the wedding so they didn’t have to carry them around the hotel. Once we were seated for lunch, the Grotto brought out a beautiful rolling table that contained our wedding cake and all of the wedding gifts. We ordered a wedding cake from the hotel bakery (white cake with buttercream frosting). It was a two tiered cake ($100) and we ordered a cake topper for it ($30). The cake was gorgeously decorated – it looked like something from a magazine. It was just so incredibly pretty. However, the butter cream icing tasted a lot like Crisco with a tiny bit of sweetener and the cake itself was extremely dry and tasted like maybe it had been frozen at some point. Although, it should be noted that this might have been sort of our fault since the hotel offered us the option of having a fruit filling (between the cake’s layers) but we opted for just icing. The fruit filling might have made the cake a bit less dry. But as far as how the cake looked – it was absolutely beautiful and well worth the $100 price.

Again, all in all we really enjoyed our stay and wedding at the Golden Nugget. and would definately recommend it to others.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
39  Thank ZippyDavis

Reviewed March 27, 2010

We have only stayed on the strip before so we definitely thought we were "rolling the dice" by staying downtown. What a great decision, the Golden Nugget was a fabulous spot and Fremont St. was a blast. We stayed in a Suite in the new Rush Tower and the room was outstanding. Only thing missing was a coffee maker. If you go make sure you go see "Drop Dead Ted", the bartender at the Charthouse Bar. He won't steer you wrong when you are looking for someplace to eat. Ask him about Casa D'Amore.

2  Thank Charlie-Lucy
Reviewed March 26, 2010

I pulled up to Valet and there he was, DREW! always so happy, friendly and smiling! He remembered me from last July! At check-in, the gal was very pleasant and professional and helpful too! I never slept better in the 3 days I was there because their beds are the best! (and I want one!) The G.N. is centrally located within walking distance to other properties. Step out one door, and you can walk the Fremont Street Experience. I highly recommend this place to other travelers, and will return again.

6  Thank Lvpnt
Reviewed March 26, 2010

I stayed in the Carson Tower (formerly the South Tower) having found a great deal online. The room was fairly large but I noticed it's seriously lacking compared to the pictures I've seen here of the newer tower. While I know you get what you pay for, the Carson Tower room was lacking even compared to comparable rooms in the Four Queens. No coffee maker, old picture tube TV, worn carpet, tiny bathroom. This tower no longer has its own check in desk. You have to check in at the Gold Tower which leads to a very long check in line. Next time I might spend a little more and upgrade.

Now while having said all that there is actually a lot to recommend about this place. It has great restaurants, by far the best pool downtown, a great sports book. I even liked their Starbucks has a patio outside so you can sit down and watch the light show. It's a very large casino and was very good to me on this trip. Every employee I dealt with was very polite and helpful.

One last thing. If you do stay in the Carson Tower try and get a room closer to the elevator. It's an L shaped building and if you're at the end of that L it's a very long walk.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank dubioushalo
Reviewed March 25, 2010

The new Rush Tower has a separate entrance from the Golden Nugget Casino. Checked in and the elevators are right next to the desk. Didn't have to walk through the casino to get to the rooms. Big Plus! The suite was nice and roomy with a pleasant decor. My 17" laptop fit in the in-room safe! Finally a hotel that got it right!!!!!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JJBZ3
Reviewed March 24, 2010

This is by far the nicest hotel downtown.
We had a special rate and took advantage.

The pool shark tank is a must see, and the rooms are very nice-the only thing that is a big negative for me is no coffee maker in the room.
yes they have a Starbucks downstairs and they have room service but i like my coffeee before i get dressed to go out of the room, and i actually think Starbucks is well over priced.As is room service.

Most of the cocktail waitresses are very nice and come around often--one that was in the Keno room was pretty rude -her name was Dianne.She really must have been having a bad day :(

I would stay again with a good rate but not pay the regular rates only because we go about 3 times a year and i am fine to stay somewhere that is not nearly as nice as long as it is clean and i feel safe.
First time visitors to downton shoukl stay if they can afford it.

1  Thank goingblonde
Reviewed March 23, 2010

On 3/10 My father and I checked into this hotel to celebrate my 21st birthday... Upon arriving we were informed that the room type we had reserved had been oversold and no rooms were available... The front desk agent then gave us the option of having either one of the new Rush tower rooms or a 1 bedroom suite since it was my birthday. We took the suite and wow it couldnt have been nicer for 60 bucks a night! I worked for the Ritz Carlton company and nw wor for another luxury hotel chain and wow! Trust me these rooms rival those of Ritz and other 5 diamond hotels... I will be going back this weekend to check out the new Rush Tower! Cant Wait... and do yourself a favor and stay at the Golden Nugget!

• Stayed: March 2010