“Another solid stay at The Nugget!”

Golden Nugget Hotel
Ranked #89 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Minnesota
“Another solid stay at The Nugget!”
Reviewed June 16, 2014

As in the past The Nugget didn't disappoint.

Check-In - we arrived around 10am and it was quick and they were able to get us in our room right away. The rest of our party arrived an hour later and had quite a long wait.

Room - We stayed in one of the Rush Tower Junior Corner Suites and the room was huge and modern, our only major complaint was there wasn't a fridge. For $30 extra a night we could have upgraded to the same room on a higher floor with a few extra amenities, including a fridge but we decided against it. Our room did face Fremont and it was very loud, but that's to be expected in Vegas. Housekeeping was just ok, I eft a dress behind and it was never found.

The Main Pool - pretty much overun by kids and chairs were gone before it even opened for the day. We had learned this lesson last time we stayed so we opted to spend 2 days at the adults-only upstairs pool.

The Hideaway - we had reserved Cabanas months ahead of time. Our waitress the first day was awful. Very pushy, pretty much demanded that we have bottle service(which is NOT part of the cabana contract) and was overbearing. We had one of the normal cabanas and it was sufficient, while we didn't spend much time in it it was nice to get out of the sun, eat lunch(which was very good), etc. The second cabana we had was the bigger one they have and we were not fans of the set up - no privacy. You share the cabana with the bar, waitstaff and bartender, along with random patrons coming in to order drinks. Plus, our waitress was over a half-hour late. The bartender that was working that day was awesome though and he got us what we needed while we waited on the server. I would only reserve that one again if we had a group bigger than 6. Be forewarned you can ONLY get in the Hideout pool if you have a cabana/chair/sunbed and they sell out FAST. The third day we couldn't get into that pool since it was full so we headed over to the Downtown Grands pool which was a nice change and the server was a million times better than the 2 we had at the Nugget.

Food -
The Grille - excellent, sandwiches, fries, etc. I think this is where they get the food for the pool menu and it was good both days we ordered off that menu.
Vic & Anthonys - Steaks and Caprese were both awesome, sides were borderline awful. Service was just ok, I expected more.
Red Sushi - we split a couple rolls and they were fabulous for a late-night snack.
Claim Jumper - breakfast was average and rather slow.
Chocolate shop- chocoloate ice cream was tasteless.

We like the vibe of The Nugget and will stay again if the price is right. However, we'd also look into The Downtown Grand, we liked their pool and it's a block off Fremont so it'll be quieter.

Room Tip: Ask not to be facing Fremont, it's very loud late into the night.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank beachluvr13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,857)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2014

My main complaint with your hotel is service or lack of it!

When we first arrived at your hotel with lots of luggage all your bell
hops were standing around chatting to each other, on cell phones and
running back and forward to the bar checking the football results. Not one
of them offered us help with our cases.

When we checked-in the girl was most unhelpful even bordering on rude. She
demanded our ID and Credit Card without so much as a hello and when she
said there was a problem with our booking she told us that it was our
problem not hers and that it was up to us to sort it out before charging
us an additional $250 and informing us that if we want that back we have
to contact the booking agent for which she had no local phone number and
was unable to get for us.

Needless to say we were not impressed with the service but assumed it
would get better.

The following morning we decided to go to your buffet for breakfast where
the bad service continued. We had to order our drinks 4 times before they
arrived. When they finally did arrive they were thrown down on the table
with a handful of straws and barked at to "enjoy" before walking away.

In the afternoon we decided to book several of the excursions you have on
offer at the ticket desk. As we are traveling with a disable guest we
asked questions such as is it suitable for someone with walking
difficulties and are there and wheel chairs or scooters available. The
reply "I don't Know, book it and you will find out when you get there." We
left without booking any of them and later booked them elsewhere.

That evening we went to the gaming tables where most of the staff were
polite enough except a roulette dealer who seemed to think it appropriate
to make comments on why we were dropping our bets from $50 to $25 and
trying to encourage us to gamble more.

Tonight we decided to give the buffet another try before the Gordie Brown
show. Standing in line all we could hear was a woman shouting "I told you
to get into the other line" to our dismay we realized she was speaking to
us.

Once we were in and seated we ordered drinks. They arrived and that was
the last we seen of the server until the end of the meal, every time we
stopped someone to order some they were going to send someone over. That
never happened.

As for paying for drinks at the table, this is something I have never
experienced in any restaurant in my life but if that is your company
policy that's not something to complain to the staff about so we didn't
say anything.

For a company in the service industry your company offered NO service that
I would ever pay for again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank WallaceR
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Great Hotel, Great staff, great location....This hotel is everything I was looking for in Vegas. The fact that you don't have to walk 4 miles to go from your hotel to the restaurants and then to the pool was the best part. Valet is FREE, the wi-fi not being free is not an issue as my phone has free Wi-fi anyway.
The price of drinks and food while more spendy than back home, WAY cheaper than any other Vegas hotel.
The pool OMG was to die for, the kids had a blast, and yes.. there was a lot of kids but guess what adults.. You have two upper decks with your own pool areas.. So why are you complaining about too many kids in the pool? I was able to get up by 7am to throw a towel down on some chairs to reserve them for later, but I felt bad for the people that walked around forever looking for an empty chair. The pool was over-crowded people were sitting on the ground....I saw like 4 fights about people reserving chairs with old towels.. I say, quit whining, get up early and do the same thing :) My kids and I had a BLAST, great hotel, great clean comfy, quiet room, all in all we visit Vegas like 5 times a year.... We will be back!!

Room Tip: Get up early to reserve your chair at the pool!!!! Or you wont have a place to sit down
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Fiddletown, California
Reviewed June 16, 2014

For being a right there on Fremont where its all happening its a very quiet hotel. We were on the 18th floor and found that the only noise we actually heard was vehicular traffic below. The rooms were clean, housekeeping service very good.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Carson Tower one time and the Rush Tower another time. Both were quiet
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank BrownsEnglishToffee
Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

Excellent service I was totally impressed. I had brunch with my family today at the buffet and I just loved it. The manager Ferguz Colonia was very professional and really knows his stuff. I will definitely tell everyone and recommend they try the buffet. I myself will also be back for sure. Thank you and Ferguz for the fantastic fathers day brunch we had.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank carolynp587
Haley S, Public Relations Manager at Golden Nugget Hotel, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
I am so happy to hear that you had exceptional service at the buffet! I will be sure to pass on your kind words to the manager and the rest of the food and beverage staff. We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with this feedback and I hope the remainder of your Father's Day was enjoyable!
Reviewed June 15, 2014

I stayed one night in early June 2014. I found the room to be very comfortable and clean. Came in a little early and had no problem having the bell desk hold our bags while we waited for our room. Staff was genuinely nice and very helpful. The pool was the main reason for choosing this hotel. I have seen it many times but never had an opportunity to use it. It was well worth the wait! The pool temperature was comfortable and the slide was very fun! I really enjoyed the entire experience and hope to stay again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank ElSietePalmaz
Heber City, Utah
Reviewed June 14, 2014

My husband and I returned yesterday from a 3-night stay celebrating our 31st wedding anniversary. Upon arrival, our room wasn't ready, as we arrived very early in the morning. The bell staff did, however, store our luggage and the front desk called us the minute our room was available which was earlier than the normal check-in time. We stayed in the newer Rush Tower which was just wonderful. Our room was extremely spacious with a very comfortable king sized bed, flat screen TV, and large sitting area with L-shaped couch and ottoman. The bathroom was fantastic. It had a double vanity with vessel sinks, oversized bath with rain showerhead, and extra large pocket doors separating it from the main living area. The room was contemporary in design and very clean.

The Golden Nugget is just steps away from the "Fremont Experience" which is a must see and a short walk to the Deuce (double-decker bus which is air conditioned and clean) if you wish to visit the strip economically - $8 per person for a 24-hour pass or $20 per person for a 3-day pass. You must have exact change or purchase a pass with credit/debit card at a ticket vending machine. The bus is ideal if you are on a leisurely time schedule as it makes many stops along the way. The bus runs to the end of the Strip with Mandalay Bay being the last stop before it returns to Fremont Street.

"The Tank" pool is in the "Top 10 pools of Las Vegas" and it is spectacular! Best to claim a chaise early as it can get crowded fast. In the center of the pool is an enormous tank filled with a variety of sharks and huge fish. There is even a 3-story waterslide that zips you right through the aquarium! This is a must and was enjoyed by all ages.

"Gold Diggers" is a fun, high energy nightclub with a DJ playing current hits. It also has a large balcony overlooking Fremont Street and the drinks are reasonably priced. The club plays host to all ages, so if you're a bit older . . . no worries!

The new "Cadillac Mexican Kitchen & Tequila Bar" did not disappoint. It's an excellent place for "Happy Hour" with great music, lots of flat screen TVs, and comfortable seating. The Cadillac margaritas were fabulous as was the tapas menu.

The buffet breakfast was delicious and offered a wide variety of options including an omelet station and even a salad bar. Our server, Perfecto, was an absolute joy and made sure we had everything we needed. When I asked for a V-8, even though the restaurant didn't offer this beverage, Perfecto said he could whip up his own version of the juice for me. He did a great job! Instead of replying "no, we don't have V-8 juice, he offered up a solution instead. This was very impressive.

We thoroughly enjoyed every second of our stay and would not hesitate to book the Golden Nugget again or recommend it to family and friends. It was definitely top notch!

Room Tip: Rush Tower (non-smoking) - room 19220 - upper floor with a view of the strip.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank CSadelson
Thank you for your very thorough review of your stay with us! It sounds like you got to enjoy most of the amenities we offer and I'm glad you enjoyed all of them! It's always great to hear that our guests take advantage of everything we have on property and enjoy it on top of that! I hope you and your husband had a great anniversary and hope to see you soon!