“A true vegas experience”

Golden Nugget Hotel
Ranked #89 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
BRAINTREE
“A true vegas experience”
Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

A very traditional vegas hotel in Fremont street area. Loved the restaurants. Where else in Vegas can you swim while you watch sharks. Very good option in a great area. Rooms were large and traditional in style. Fremont street has a fantastic atmosphere. Would return to this hotel due to fabulous location and great food in restaurants.

Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,819)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bury, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Room was ready to check in when we arrived at 11:00am which was great. The two queen bedroom was very clean although was a little basic when you compare to the newer Strip hotels.
Pool area looked great when it was empty, but it was very crowded and too small for the number of guests. We felt a little bit like a bunch of seals lined up on a beach.
Location is great and on the doorstep for Fremont Street experience which was buzzing on Friday & Saturday nights. It is a couple of miles from the resort hotels on the Strip, so you need a car, taxi of bus to go down there at night.
Really recommend this place if you don't want to spend a fortune on the Strip. Another big plus over the Strip hotels is there is no resort fees which can be upto $30 per night on Strip.
Will definitely stay here again :))

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Viva Stay

Taunton, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We traveled to Las Vegas to attend a family wedding. We arrived at the Golden Nugget at 1:30 am completely exhausted from the trip. We checked in with a very pleasant staff member and were in our room in 15 minutes. Our room in the Rush Tower was fantastic. We asked if there were any upgrades available and we ended up with a suite. The room was spotless and well kept. The housekeeping staff was attentive and very pleasant. We loved the Freemont Street Experience, the pool, the food - Vic and Anthony's was over the top, and the helpful staff. We plan on going back with the kids!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Wakiwaku123
Southern California
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Stayed at the Golden Nugget for a conference, purchased two rooms for three nights and upgraded with the Landry membership (worth the purchase). The pool was crowded beyond belief, wouldn't think they could fit that many people in such a small area. There is a small adult only pool, but before 5 they want you to pay to use it. They also charge 10 dollars for the coffee that is in the room. The bathrooms in the rooms are very small, but the room is quite large, bed is very comfortable. We checked out of one of the rooms a day early so thought they could give us a late checkout for the other, they gave us one hour which did not help with our conference schedule. Checked out in the room and called front desk to make sure they emailed me a receipt, after getting home I had to call three times to get my receipt, they finally had to fax it to me. Overall the beds are comfortable and is a great location for down town.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Stayed at the Golden Nugget last week for my friend's bachelor party. Our rooms were unavailable so we got upgraded for free to a penthouse suite! This was my first time in Vegas, and it rocked.

Fremont is way better than the strip - it's less pressure, no one takes it seriously, and it's covered by a dome that has a crazy light show most of the night. There are several stages set up with live bands playing most nights, all summer long. The strip, by contrast, is pretentious, crowded, expensive, and slightly sketchy.

The casino at the Golden Nugget is huge, so there are lots of options from high-roller stuff to beginner tables. Lots of different games. The staff in the hotel and the casino were very helpful and friendly. The pool is good (there's a waterslide that goes right through a shark tank) but be aware that there's no shade and it gets to about 100F by midday. Food and drink are slightly overpriced but certainly not exorbitant (I had a $15 frozen margarita by the pool, but it was probably about 16oz).

I didn't go to any shows, so I can't comment on that. Overall, we were 7 guys coming down from Vancouver for a bachelor party, and we all had a pretty good time here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank lennybruceisdead
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Just back from Las Vegas .Three nights on the strip ,and one at the Nugget. Freemont is great and I wish we had spent more time there. We have been to the nugget a few times before and remembered it fondly.We originally booked with the middle priced option of the Gold tower with a late check out ,by email . We decided to call and confirm this, which was good because no one had added the request. When we arrived it was still a big surprise to them .

We proceeded to our room . Upon arriving it looked pretty dated and reminded me of the Carson tower we had been in a year or so ago (but not as clean). I had a friend who was in the Carson ,and proceeded to his room . They appeared exactly the same . I then went to the desk to inquire about my discovery , once again surprising her ,she did mention that they are larger . I told her , you couldn't pay me extra to stay in it any longer, let alone charge me more. I asked for the rush tower and dropped the late checkout .They were nice enough to give the late checkout for free .(thank you) It was beautiful room and we were not disappointed .

The problems began the next day when we came back to check out .We arrived at our room and the key wouldn't work .Late checkout ? What late check out ?
I told a nearby maid and she she could not get me in. She said she would call security.A few minutes later I was informed they never answered nor returned her call . I proceeded to the desk ,where a new key was issued . Back to the room , still nothing . Back to the desk new key , back to room still nothing . Back to desk ,a manually issued key and it finally worked .Over 1/2 hour later ........ We do have a plane to catch .
Due to the delay , We were now a little pressed for time ,and I forgot my wallet on a shelf in the room . I only realized after I arrived home . I called immediately and told them . I was informed the room was occupied and they would leave a message . I called the next day and they said that's all they can do , a simple phone message. No written , no drop by and ask for permission to get it ,nothing but the blinking light, which most of us ignore. 2 days still nothing ,same answers .3 days same answers .In the end the wallet was returned . I think if the maid had done her job as I was told by them (search all drawers and shelves etc after checkout ) or maybe they had just personally asked for the wallet , it would have saved a lot of aggravation on both ends.

Shark tank pool is like a lounge chair ghetto
Adult pool is nice late at night when empty ,but as pictured here, fill in all spaces between lounges with more lounges .
Coupon book ? what coupon book ?
Dirty carpets in older sections and rooms ..rather than polish dirt in ...try a steam extraction unit .

My new cards will be here in a week or two .
Good thing I had one credit card left to pay for the return of my wallet .Maybe they will throw in the elusive coupon book with it in the mail .
Overall rating is based solely on Rush tower and room , overall satisfaction is lower.

Reviewing the whole situation it seems like before you actually arrive ,and once you leave customer service is marginal . During most of our stay it was not really needed .We like the hotel but we were unaware that the plaza was now renovated along with the D ,when we were booking . The Nugget for us ,was always a sure thing. .But ........the plaza looked pretty nice inside when I went to see it .

At least with the Plaza they seem to read ,and respond to their reviews, which speaks volumes as does the Golden Nuggets lack of responses

Room Tip: Optional ratings based solely on rush tower room . Take a star or two off applicable ratings for...