“Not overly impressed”

Golden Nugget Hotel
Ranked #89 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed April 16, 2013

The beds were very comfy! MUCH better than the Golden Nugget in Laughlin NV. The robes were not impressive, just a cotton robe really. VERY disappointing that they have a Kehrig coffee maker in the room, yet, charge $10 for the 4 K-Cups in the box to make coffee!! They charge for EVERYTHING. Large bottle of Fuji water sitting there for $7. Didn't think there was a blow dryer, found it on our second night, in a black draw string bag on the shelf in the closet!!
Nice make up mirror, but poorly lit. Not very bright at the vanity area at all!! Housekeeping does a good job and the room was clean, except for the wet area in the rug. Think someone dropped a bottle of water..because we found a cap.
It costs to use their computer to print out your boarding passes for your airline. I didn't use it, I checked in on my phone and printed my pass at the airport for free!
Check in was very confusing. Pulled in a valet area and he redirected me to another spot in the Rush Tower. Got over there and Valet was backed up, no where to pull in just to check in and get room key. Valet told me to go to "self park" and walk over, but you need a room key to get into self park. I was then allowed to leave the car running, with one of us left in it, while the other checked in. When I came back out, Valet had my sister move the car within their area and told her to get what we wanted out of it. Nice that we got to park in Valet, sad that she had to unload everything of ours alone.
I would stay here again as long as I get the discounted rate, I would NOT pay full price for this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Carol B
There are newer reviews for Golden Nugget Hotel

Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

What can I say, I LOVE this hotel. We stayed in the Carson tower in a king room on a recent trip to Las Vegas. This hotel is so wonderfully clean, you can never smell cigarette smoke, and the room itself is simply luxurious. The bed is as soft as the clouds, the water pressure in the shower is perfect for sore muscles after a long day of walking, and the room is insulated so well that you will rarely hear other guests.

I have been so happy with my visits to the Nugget over the years, that I simply do not like staying anywhere else when I want to visit Downtown Las Vegas. The customer service level at this hotel is OFF the charts terrific. The check-in agents always ask if you want help with your bags, despite how chaotic the lobby may seem, and they are always ready with show and guest amenity information.

On this particular visit (March 15-17) the hotel was very crowded due to some sporting events going on in the city and as a result there were a lot of basketball and soccer teams staying at the hotel. I expected the hotel to be noisy and cramped during our stay because of this, but that was not the case. The line for Starbucks was somewhat longer than normal, but nothing intolerable. I always expect the lines to be longer on any weekend in Vegas, so this did not seem unreasonable to me. Bar service was still excellent, housekeeping was on the ball, and the atmosphere was fun and jovial.

I visit a lot of hotels in Nevada and California because I live in the Phoenix area and our family enjoys taking weekend trips. I can honestly say that the Golden Nugget is always one of our favorite hotel destinations.

We always order room service on the final day of our stay, and the Golden Nugget French Toast is always a delicious treat. You should definitely try out their room service breakfast menu, at least once. Also, make sure you make some time to visit "The Chocolate Box" when you are at the Golden Nugget. We always stop here for dessert at least once per visit and are never disappointed with either the service or quality of the chocolates!

Happy travels!

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank Nichole K
Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 5 nights just for relaxation.
Adult bar and pool area small but adequate, although kids water slide line up has to be passed through to get in/out. Book chairs, beds and cabanas ahead of time. Clean and affordable.
Everything is very close in this hotel so its great for disabled, seniors and families that don't wanna walk a mile to get some thing from a room.
Japanese restaurant very good, other restaurants are dated. Our tower (the new one) and room were great. Easy 4 star value.
Access to Freemont street, free entertainment and general Vegas (some family friendly) shenanigans is easy, just walk out and your in the middle of it. Convenience store next door with a variety of beverages and snacks, few food items, alcohol and souvenirs next door on the Freemont side was a huge asset.
Would be the only place I stayed in that area again but I still prefer the strip and the bigger hotel amenities in general.

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank Amy C
Reviewed April 15, 2013

room was nice -but some of the rudest staff you will find in Vegas - wouldn't stay again for free - I have gone to Vegas from AU 18 weeks total and have stayed in most of the hotels - this is the worst by far

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank pace210
Reviewed April 15, 2013

This was a one night stop and our first stop as part of two week driving holiday.

The room (Rush Tower) was great, the best of our stay and a bargain for the price we paid.

At check in (around 8pm) I asked for a quiet room away from Freemont St and was told that was what we were given.

Room was on 22nd floor and it was however on the Freemont Street side! Very noisy until around 2pm which is not what you need after 10 hour flight!

Breakfast buffet was excellent value and delicous.

Freemont Street was very good fun - we like the Bon Jovi light concert especially!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ben_C007
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We booked through Allegiant Air, staying in the Rush Tower. Check-in had a slight line, but moved quickly. When checking in, make sure to request a room that does not face Fremont Street. The nighttime noise is very, very loud. We stayed on the 21st floor and the bass from the bands kept me awake. GN is far and away the nicest resort downtown, so if you're looking for something similar to the Strip, this is for you. Gambling wasn't as good as neighboring casinos like Fremont or Four Queens. Buffet is just decent, and not worth the price on Saturdays.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, do not get a room that faces Fremont Street. You will be awake until 1...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank T2D4
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I just returned from Las Vegas last night and was eager to share information about my great stay at the Golden Nugget! First, check in/out was a breeze in the Rush Tower. I saw lines at other times, but it seemed as though they were adequately staffed to handle the guests efficiently. I was traveling with a college friend, as we're celebrating special birthdays this year. We upgraded to the Rush Tower Gold Club room and were very pleased with the modern furnishings/decor. The room had 2 Queen beds, a desk, large flat screen TV, small sitting area and a large bathroom with a shower (2 shower heads) and a private toilet room. There was also a safe for your security and a fridge that wasn't pre-stocked with drinks/snacks on sensors (Thank you, Golden Nugget)! Some of us want to buy a few beers or sodas of OUR choosing in your shops and keep them cold. Please DON'T switch to the pre-stocked refrigerators! The beds were VERY comfortable with down comforters/pillows. I called room service to bring me foam pillows (allergic to down) and they very promptly delivered them to me(5 minutes after I called to make my request). Our room was spotlessly clean upon check-in and was cleaned thoroughly during our stay. We even received turn-down service with chocolates on the beds 1 night (a nice touch). We ate at Lillie's Asian Cuisine (I recommend making a reservation for the teppanyaki tables). The beef tenderloin was delicious and service was wonderful, entertaining and friendly. We also ate at the buffet for breakfast 1 day and dinner another day. Both offered a great variety of dishes. My recommedation would be for them to get serving spoon rests for the hot dishes because I burned myself on the spoon trying to scoop hash brown potatoes. The food was good, especially for dinner.

The Pool and Shark tank are AWESOME! I went down that waterslide about 8 times and it was so fun! Makes any age person feel like a kid again :D The pool gets quite crowded on the weekends so make sure you stake out a chair EARLY (9am). There is a pool bar with great drinks and a few snacks. They should add more to the snack menu. They are very generous with the liquor servings in drinks (I actually couldn't drink my pina colada b/c it was too strong). The strawberry daquiris were delicious! A suggestion for Golden Nugget: You currently send servers upstairs to wait on customers who rent cabanas. However, there is a free adult sun bathing area with many customers who are ignored. We have money, want to buy drinks/snacks and not have to go up/down the stairs all the time to order. You could make more money if you serve those customers as well and the customers would order more drinks/spend more money at your property and be happier sans stair climbing every time we need a beverage. If you have waitresses up there anyway, can't they serve ALL the customers? Lounge chairs are comfortable. If you want to rent a chair in the Adult H20 Hideout area, it will cost you some money. If you plan to spend a good part of your day there, renting a chair or cabana is worth the money. If you only plan to be at the pool for a few hours, I would recommend finding a free chair (just as comfy)! In the evening, the H2O bar and lounge outside is very relaxing with firepits and sofas, big overstuffed chairs and it's a lovely environment for sitting with friends or a spouse and having a chat. 1 Other quick suggestion for Golden Nugget: If you have customers who are bragging about your property on Twitter while they are currently a guest at the hotel, offer them a free drink or a coupon or something! It's basic social networking/marketing outreach that would make an even bigger impact on your return customer business.

I visited the Golden Nugget Spa and thought I had died and gone to heaven! The entire experience was wonderful! I highly HIGHLY recommend the sugar body scrub! Stefani was amazing at making me feel comfortable and relaxed (I never had a body scrub at a spa before and was a little nervous). She kept it modest, provided warm towels and the whole treatment was so relaxing! My skin hasn't felt this smooth is years....wow! I also had a facial treatment by Marianne that was very very nice. The spa provides luxurious robes for customers and there is a ladies' (and separate men's) whirlpool, wet and dry saunas. There is water and hot tea, fruit and a lovely waiting area in the locker room. Showers and all haircare products/accessories are available as well. It is a wonderful spa experience, a luxury well worth your time and money! I would say to think about booking your spa time in the evening and then go straight to bed. It's so relaxing that I didn't want to go anywhere after that (except to bed for a good rest). However, it's VEGAS, BABY.....so that didn't happen.

The Fremont Street Experience is fun and the people watching is great. The light show has great music, the DJ plays modern hits and there is a stage with various bands/performers (Elvis Impersonators that are pretty good)! There aren't any people passing out cards for escorts, so that is very refreshing and makes Old Vegas more appealing for families. There are various kiosks selling different trinkets, jewelry, snacks, etc.....It's a more laid back experience than the Strip. When you are on the strip, the sidewalk is a means of getting to the next hotel. When you are on Fremont Street, the sidewalk IS the destination with lots to see and do (there is a Zip Line that looks really fun if you aren't afraid of heights).

The casino at Golden Nugget is large with a great variety of table games, slots and a nice poker room. It's a little smokey but not terrible. The casino staff at Nugget are friendly!

I hope you found my review helpful and hope that you try a stay at Golden Nugget. If you've never visited Downtown Las Vegas, give it a try and stay at Golden Nugget Rush Tower. I promise that you won't be disappointed! Have fun!

Room Tip: Rush Tower Rooms are more modern. If you request a Gold Club room in Rush tower, you receive VIP li...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends