“Best value hotel in Las Vegas”

Golden Nugget Hotel
Ranked #93 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed March 24, 2013

My cousins and I stayed at this hotel for 3 days and 2 nights and we feel very happy with the money (budget) we paid on this. Real value for the money.

The location is really great and you can see and fell the vibrancy of the place. It's the real Las Vegas!

On the 1st night of our stay, the fire alarm went off around 3am due to a smoke detected in one of the non-smoking rooms. Everyone had to leave the room and take the fire exits. And I must commend the management of the hotel for the orderly fashion of the evacuation. And all guests who went down were given free buffet coupons that can be used any day.

Great value and service!

• Stayed: March 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (11,162)

Reviewed March 24, 2013

This was our second trip to the Golden Nugget-Las Vegas, NV. My wife and I stayed two nights in the Carson Tower on the 9th Floor. We have no complaints about our room. The room itself was clean and also the bathroom was clean. No complaints about the King size bed; it was OK. No complaints about the TV. Also our room was SMOKE free. The walking distance from the our room to the elevator and then to the casino was not a burden and vise versa going back to the room.

The night life around our room was quiet--away from the Fremont Experience. The hallway traffic on the 9th floor was minimal and the guests around us were well behaved.

Their spa was OK from a guy's point of view, I can't speak for my wife. Good size hot tub. The sauna was hot with a very hot-hot floor. Be sure to wear sleepers into the sauna. The men's lounge is OK, they have snacks and flavored water and a TV. Their showers were nice with men's cleansing products. In addition beyond the shower experience, the men's body products were plentiful. They have a cardio room and a weight lifting room. Here's my take on the spa; if you're restricted to the Fremont area and you can afford the daily spa fee, go for it. However, if you can travel, visit the Venetian Spa, it's worth the experience and the daily fee. Note: My wife and I toured the Venetian Spa but did not take advantage of it on this trip, however, on the next trip it will be the Venetian Spa.

The Customer Service was par--mainly the check-in service. The gal was not helpful with information. It was like we were third class citizens. Now our check in was quick and to the point but of course we didn't arrive until 7:30pm.

If you want the old town gambling theme with the Fremont Experience, don't hesitate to stay at the Golden Nugget. Furthermore, if funds are tight, then don't hesitate to stay in the Carson Tower. If you want to see the Fremont Experience from above, then visit one of the other towers by going to an elevator in that tower and go up to a upper floor; it's that simple and it's free.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rscaso
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stayed at the Golden Nugget March 15th in the Gold Tower. The room was nice, clean and the bed was comfortable. Upon check in we purchased Gordie Brown shot tickets which came with 2 free buffet dinners and 2 drink tickets for the show. This was the best purchase we made the entire trip in Vegas. The buffet was very good, excellent service and plenty of food choices. The show was outstanding. Gordie Brown is hilarious and the seats were close to the back of the theatre but we could see the stage without obstruction and the sound was good.

We enjoyed the pool in the afternoon but go early because the loungers fill up fast. Drinks we're decently priced compared to the pool areas on the strip. We also went back down to the pool in the evening because it's so pretty at night when they light up the aquarium.

I don't normally stay at hotels more than one time when visiting Vegas because I like variety but I would stay at the GN again. I like gambling downtown, the atmosphere is more relaxed than the strip, odds seem better and they have more $5 tables than the strip.

Why did they ruin the downtown area with that ridiculous roof and light show. It was so much nicer without that, I feel as if it cheapened the area. Coming from the midwest area, I look forward to the warm sun and high temps of Vegas.The last thing I want is an awning blocking the sun.

Room Tip: We were happy with the Carson Tower room and it was at an awesome rate for a Friday but would spend...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Patti S
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Maybe we've spent to many nights at the Golden Nugget, but the stays have become average, there not as exciting as they once were. The rooms are no better than the other casino's on Fremont Street that have been remodeled, unless you want to pay prices equal to the strip for their Rush Tower rooms. The service at the Carson Tower Restraunt has become less than expected. The cost to use the coffee maker and wi-fi in the room, have made it a luxury, instead of an ammenity. We used to be able to drink coffe at the starbucks outside and people watch in quiet, now every few minutes you are being approached by panhandlers making the area less enjoyable. While I would probably prefer to stay at the Golden Nugget for any future trips to Fremont Street, the stay there has just become Average.

Room Tip: If you must, I guess pay the extra for Rush Tower Rooms.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Marcelino G
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We have stayed several times at the Golden Nugget over the years, and it hasn't let us down yet. We got a Gold Rush Luxury Suite on the 16th floor (1615) for $119/night. Room was clean, spacious, and warm. Bathroom was nicely appointed with his/hers sink and a TV built into the mirror. I liked the rain shower, and it was easy to get the hot water at the right temp (sometimes a lengthy endeavor in other hotels). Maid service was friendly and did a good job. I liked that they had free coffee and bowls of candy/snacks by the elevators. Ice machine was easy to find and worked. I guess if I were looking for any negatives, it would be the $4 if you wanted to use the pod coffee machine in the room. I saw a review that said $10 and they are wrong. Although, I have to admit that it was nice that they have coffee (a lot of hotels are nixing it altogether). The other minor was internet not very good. But I use my phone for everything when traveling, so not an issue. If I were a laptopper, I would probably have an issue. I think they say they will charge you and then comp you at the end. Not sure what that is about. I do know they charge 75 cents a minute in the business center.

King bed was really comfortable, and the room was really quiet. TV worked great, and the morning wake up calls were nice. My sister bought us a champagne and cheese/fruit tray for our anniversary through the hotel. It was okay, and I hope she didn't spend a lot of money. The champagne was a better brand.

The only major complaint I have (and this is an old one) is I have to wonder why the management of GN think that their coupon book is so exclusive. They really do not like to give it to guests, and when we asked again if we could have one, they said "No." It seems to me that if they gave the coupon book to someone who asked it would be good for business. I would use it and spend money at their hotel. As a result, we only ate at the Carson City Cafe twice, although we walked out on the second occasion because 45 minutes went by and we still had no breakfast (Another review). I think they need to update the coupon book (it is the same one they have had for years, just adding a coupon or two because of renovations. Get a little looser with the coupon book and you might see us spending more time in the casino.

In this review, I didn't talk about the pool, but everyone else does and you can find out that everybody pretty much loves it.

Overall, I would stay again. The minor little things still make the Nugget a great value. I really like the casino even though I have never really won any money there. We will probably stay again next year.

Room Tip: I would probably never stay in the Carson Tower unless I really wanted a budget room. Compared to th...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Zonker123
Reviewed March 24, 2013

This was my third time in Vegas and wanted to try something different from the strip so tried the golden nugget old Vegas and really loved it it was very lucky for me and I won more money than I went on holiday with so shopping i went .hotel is right on the Fremont street experience and to be honest I enjoyed it better than the strip as it was not as busy if I went back to Vegas I think I would go back to the golden nugget but not for ten days . Downfall was small bath and could do with a kettle for free as u had to pay if u used there coffee food was great and free drinks at the tables or machines helped go try your luck

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 23, 2013

3 nights in the north tower Carson room was close to elev. and ice machine Non smoking floor
Room had 2 beds - roomy quiet We did pay one time fee of 25.00 extra for the reservation of the two beds Beds / pilliows were very comfortable !!. Pool was awesome swam/wslide / loungers in water There is a guard that checks your bag You could bring bottled water or Starbucks bought from the GN in side of pool area .Seen the huge 61 pd gold nugget! Loved Fremont street Ate at Magnolias Must sign up to get specials advertise in casino ABC stores water 2 for 1.00
there is a Denny's -Free wiFi open 24hrs on Fremont and a McDonalds at the end of street

Room Tip: Higher floor less noise Non smoking tower
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends