“Golden Nugget Hotel and Casino --LAS VEGAS”

Golden Nugget Hotel
Ranked #89 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for the very first time in many years (before they did all the upgrades-and there was a great deal done to improve this resort) before we planned to stay here .a very good friend recommended this place as her favorite in Vegas....not only because the prices were excellent( $52.00 per night for 2 people and no resort fees) We stayed for 5 nights and wish we had stayed longer as there is sooooo much to see and do in Las Vegas.I think there is app 700 attrractions in and around the area so you can see why we ran out of time.
back to the hotel.....we stayed in the week before Christmas week and we booked online with
Priceline and the rate was too good not to try it out ...especially with such a good report from a close friend. In addition to quick and easy check-in and check-out which you can do by remote
console in the lobby area if you wish....you also get"fun packs" from the front desk which you can use for a whole bunch of things at the hotel : ie: 2 for 1 meals at the breakfast , lunch and dinner buffet which I would rate as a good solid 31/2-4 out of 5. Service staff where very good
in all areas of the resort.
The rooms were large and very clean with modern facilities ..we stayed on the 5th floor which was non-smoking...I smoke ..the wife does not and I always went outside to smoke eventhough there are many indoor areas where you do not have to go outside.
The fun packs are also good for 2 for 1 shows and dinner shows at the resort and they are quite resonable depending on what you would want to pay for the shows on the "strip" which can easily run $ 85-100 or more per person.
I really liked this area of Freemont Street....with the Experience show and all the casinos so close by and the street performers and the zip-line and music entertainment( I understand they are increasing the size of the " Experience" and the zip-line as we speak..
So this hotel really has a great location and there is some really good hop- on , hop -off express busses just around the corner with the ticket dispensing machines right by the bus stop.
I know it was near Christmas when we were there but even so ..I would say all the decorqtions and glitz and glamour of the hotel will please most people by far !
I can say this as we did tour all of the other resorts in the New Strip or as they call it " the strip"
sure they are more glamorous but they are also MUCH more expensive and Much more larger in size....I would not like to have to walk all through Ceasar's Palace to get to my room or the resaurants as in
vegas most of the casinos are set up so that you have to walk through them to get just about anywhere....speaking of the casinos ...they say the slot machines on Freemont st. are "looser" in that they claim they pay out 16 % more than on the "strip"....I think , from my own experience that there may be some truth to this .Don't get me wrong ...you must take the time to SEE the
other resorts and try your luck.
also re the drinks are free in all of the casinos while you are playing the games ...sometimes the waitresses can be a little slow to bring your drink ...but I think they may be told to do this by management....we did notice this to be the case at all the resorts on and off of freemont st.
the pool area of this resort is Great !...It is heated in the water and around the pool area as I can believe it ...it is wonderfull to have such a center piece to look at....( we snorkel at lot..that is why we loved this feature.
Lots more to say about Vegas...but will save that for another review......We will be back and will not hesitate to book the Nugget again! Great time and very good value ...all around.
ps...coming up reviews of San Fran, Alcatraz,L.A. ,ROSE BOWL Parade China Town and so much more ...when I get the time ...ciao for now

Room Tip: street facing away from Freemont St. would be more quiet for those people that have super hearing...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 12345dolphin
There are newer reviews for Golden Nugget Hotel

Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I decided to stay Downtown this trip to Las Vegas and we are so glad that we did!! When we got to the Golden Nugget the only slight issue we had was there were no longer any rooms with a king size bed so we had to full size beds. The next morning we got a call from the front desk and was advised that our new room was available if we wanted to switch. Both rooms we stayed in were Very clean and had no issues what so ever. The room did not have a mini fridge, or free coffee but it didn't affect our stay at all. We ate at the Cafe and it was okay nothing really special about it. We also tried Lillie's Asian Cuisine, and it was AMAZING!!!!! We got a seat at chefs area where they cook the food in front of you and the chef was great! Really couldn't say enough about the food!
Also the pool was pretty awesome to look at while having late night drinks! They have little fires lit to keep the chill away and it was just another relaxing side to Vegas! Next trip to Vegas we will be staying at the Golden Nugget again!!!

1  Thank millers2008
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Hotel was nice and rooms were clean and spacious. Staff was courteous and prompt. What was difficult to deal with and why I would not return is the overpowering stale smoke that one is inundated with. You can't get away from it. Even the non-smoking rooms floor has a lingering smoke smell in the hallways. After staying the whole weekend in the downtown Fremont area, my family and I were ill, not from the eating and night life, but from the cigarette smoke. Also, I would suggest that you bring your own pillow. Although the rooms are good quality, for some reason, they've cut corners on the bed pillows and it is a small square with very little support and padding. Hotel also charges extra if you use the coffee maker in your room and for internet access.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank LiD448
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Just returned from our 4 day Las Vegas trip celebrating a 21st birthday. This hotel was highly recommened and the price was reasonable. Since we had not actually stayed at the Golden Nugget, we weren't sure what to expect. Upon arrival on a thursday afternoon, we were greeted by a very professional and friendly valet staff, who quickly had the bellman unloading our vehicle. The front desk is down a few steps and we had very short wait to check in. The front desk agent was very friendly and professional directing us to our room in just a matter of minutes. We stayed in the Carson Tower. It was a bit of a walk to the elevator, but on the way we were able to pass the pool/shark tank which is beautiful both day and night. The hotel is very nicely decorated with soothing colors and accents. We arrived at our room and was very pleasantly surprised by the large room and nice decor. With a vanity on the outside of the bathroom as well as comfortable chairs in which to relax. Our bellman, Robert, brought our bags within 5 minutes and was very friendly and stayed to answer our questions about the area. The others 5 members of our party hadn't arrived so we decided to go down to the casino area. Very clean and comfortable compared to other casinos which we stopped in. We enjoyed the short walk to the other casinos on Fremont Street and enjoyed that the Golden Nugget was in the center of the better part of the area. We enjoyed watching the overhead light shows in the evening and the very interesting people!! From the beginning to the end of our stay we couldn't have asked for a better vacation!! IWe won't be staying anywhere else but the Golden Nugget for future Las Vegas trips.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Let me first start by saying that I was absolutely ecstatic to stay at this hotel. I decided to stay here for my wedding night for cryin' out loud! I was soooo excited to stay here. BIG LET DOWN! We decided to stay in the Spa Tower two story suite, absolutely beautiful room (don't get me wrong). However, the service at this hotel was absolutely HORRIBLE. We had already stayed at two other hotel suites on the Vegas strip in the three days prior to our stay at the Golden Nugget (Caesar's Palace Augustus Tower and Mirage One Bedroom Tower Suite). I thought I had saved the best hotel room for last, boy was I wrong. The problems all started at checkout. Obviously, when you're leaving a hotel you're usually in a time crunch to get to the airport or make an itinerary of some sort, which we were. Since we were here for our wedding we had a ton of luggage (even just for the two of us, we eloped). I had two wedding gowns, a tux, and six bags between the two of us. No way we were getting it all down to the lobby by ourselves - so we called a bellman at 9:40am. I also had to ship out my wedding gowns back home and an entire box of my customized wedding accessories. I called the Golden Nugget over a month in advance to speak to their concierge (they don't have one) about shipping these items back home after my wedding, as we were leaving for our honeymoon directly from the hotel. They informed me that they didn't have a concierge, but the business center would gladly and easily take care of my requests. After being transferred to the business center the nice woman on the phone assured me that they had every size box and shipping materials to ship my packages back and that there would be no need to bring my own shipping supplies. After waiting half an hour for the bellman (approximately 10:10am) I decided I would have to go take my large pre-packages wedding accessories down to the business center myself and that the bellman would eventually bring my dresses down to be shipped. Fast forward about a half an hour. After waiting in line at the business center I got to the front and told the woman I'd like to ship this package as well as the two dresses that were to be brought down by the bellman from out spa tower suite. She calls the bell desk to learn that the bellman still hasn't been up to our suite to retrieve any luggage (approximately 10:45am, almost an hour after the initial call to the bell desk). She tells them she needs the dresses brought down to the business center and they assured her we were the next ticket in line. On top of that she informs me that they don't have any boxes larger than a 12"x12" to ship anything. Ummm, how are two ballgowns going to fit in one 12"x12" box? You've got me. To make a long story short after my the lady at the business center calls the bell desk three times, and my new husband calls an additional FOUR TIMES, no bellman has come to take out luggage, more than an HOUR AND A HALF after the initial call to the bell desk. For supposed VIP service, that's pretty damn sad. To make matters worse, my new husband has to make two additional separate trips to bring each gown down to the business center for me (since apparently the bellmen weren't interested). After he gets back up to the room the second time, our bags are gone with no bell ticket to be found. Now we have no clue where are bags are or how to locate them. By this time it's 11:30 (so a half hour after checkout time) we're late for our taxi ride to the airport, our bags our lost somewhere in the hotel, and I still can't ship out my wedding gowns because they don't have any appropraite sized boxes (like they promised me would be available over a month in advance). I am bawling my eyes out in the middle of the lobby the day after my wedding, and none of the staff seem to have any empathy nor any sense of urgency. I make my way up to the "VIP desk" (I use that term loosely, although that's what they call it) to find out where our bags are. No one seems to know. After a manager is FINALLY called, he magically finds our bags in 10 minutes and we are now an HOUR late to get to the airport, over two and a half hours after the initial call to the bell desk. Is it just me, or should retrieving bags (your sole job) not be that hard? To make matters worse, I received no apology or any indication that anything was wrong from any of the staff nor the manager. If you're looking for a cheap stay for beautiful digs downtown this might be your place. If you're looking for service from someone with a brain larger than a gnat, don't even think about the Golden Nugget! We spent over $1100.00 on room reservations for only two nights in the hotel (not counting the wedding dinner we had at Vic and Anthony's, the next night's dinner at Chart House, and the hundreds we spent in the casino). We didn't even stay the first night because we had double booked our wedding night and liked the Mirage suite better(thank God we stayed there). The Golden Nugget didn't even have to clean the room the first night that I spent over $550 for! If my scenario is what they call "VIP" treatment, I don't even want to think about how they treat "non-VIP" guests. What would have been an otherwise great experience has now been forever foreshadowed by the Golden Nugget's lack of concern, competency, or service. Please, do yourself a favor and don't waste your time on the Nugget. Lesson learned, I will NEVER be back.

5  Thank Miranda E
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We stayed at the Golden Nugget for 5 nights. Stayed in the Rush tower, 21st floor, Beautiful room, beautiful view! Check-in was super fast. The whole experience was great!! We will be coming back here!! Staff wonderful!!

Room Tip: Try and get a room away from Fremont Street.
1  Thank parrish
Reviewed February 23, 2013

My wife and I have stayed allot of places in Vegas. And this is still our favorite and one of the best priced hotels. The rooms are big and you are right on the old strip. The pool has a shark tank in the middle of the pool. And a water slide. We have yet to stay in one of the nicer rooms because the cheap rooms are nice.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple