“Wonderful Time over the holidays.”

Golden Gate Hotel & Casino
Ranked #135 of 265 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed January 10, 2014

When do you know that you are in a casino that cares about you as a player and not just your money? Well you know when you are playing at the Golden Gate casino on Fremont Street. This casino was one that caught my attention in September when I was staying downtown. I walked in and I was amazed at the friendliness and concern for the players as Golden Gate had. This December I had the privilege of being able to play in Vegas for 8 days and during that time I was treated like a king at Golden Gate. This is a casino that it does not matter if you play .40 cents or 5,000 a hand you are going to be treated like you are one of them. Starting with the servers I have never had such quick and correct services as I have had at this casino. Next the dealers, what's great about Golden Gate is that if you are a more conservative not party animal type player than the morning and afternoon dealers like Joy, Vicky, and Rebecca are for you. These women are very attentive and are willing to take a screaming fat man scaring the hell out them over a 3 of kind in let it ride. Now if you enjoy music parting and seeing girls in skimpy outfits ;) then go after 7pm and make sure that you see Tina, and Gabby these two lady's will not only help you understand how the game is played but they are cheering you on and making you feel as if you are the only player on the table even when the table is full. Last but certainly not least is Dave W, the casino shift manager. Never in my life have I ever had a casino manager come around and greet people share stories and truly interact with everyone. Trust me when I say everyone it did matter that I wasn't a high roller I was greeted by him with open arms. Hell because of my suggestion they may even look at a new game. I will admit I love to gamble and I love to have a good time while doing it and I will say that the Golden Gate Casino is the place not only where you can gamble but have an experience that out weighs ALL other casino on and off the strip

3  Thank Kellie_Edington
Sarah C, Manager at Golden Gate Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2014

Thank you for the kind words! We strive to ensure our guests know that they are appreciated, and it's great to know that you felt that our customer service was top notch. We're pleased to hear you had an excellent gambling experience with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Hotel is ok with price you pay. $23 per day is charged as a resort fee. But the location is great right on downtown if you can bear the loud music of Las vegas downtown fremont st experience. Experience was ok

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Sarah C, Manager at Golden Gate Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Thank you for the feedback from your recent visit. The resort fee includes free Wi-Fi, free local & toll-free calls, and $10 off show tickets at our sister property, the D. Although we have added the resort fee, we've also dropped our room rates in order to give our guests the best value in town. As for the music on Fremont Street, we are happy to move guests who desire a room away from the music, per availability.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

Found this hotel on a recommendation from a friend and boy, it exceeded our expectations. Artsy cool hotel in old downtown Las Vegas ~ so happy with the suite on the fourth floor. Only there is no pool to swim in so one would have to go next door to the Golden Nugget for that but no matter as I loved this place.

Room Tip: get a suite if you can, not too much $ and it's so spacious (on the fourth floor).
1  Thank mackanna

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us! We are glad to hear that we exceeded your expectations and you loved our newly renovated rooms! We hope you'll join us again on your next trip to Vegas!

Reviewed December 30, 2013

When in Vegas Downtown I always stop in to the Golden Gate. I especially like the Restaurant -"Du-Pars". Being a single traveler I usually sit at the counter. The waiter was very friendly and knowledgeable. I was extremely hungry! They have all the comfort-foods on their menu! I chose the Meat Loaf. The mashed potatoes were authentic and really hit the spot. Also the fresh veggies were delicious! And the price was fantastic. Over the years this restaurant has been able to keep a good reputation in a competitive market - I will continue to patronize this establishment! Of course I also do a little gambling in the casino - friendly dealers and bartenders.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank umoraski
Sarah C, Manager at Golden Gate Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

We're glad to hear you enjoyed Du-Pars! If you haven't already, you must try the pancakes and the shrimp cocktail on your next visit - both are guest favorites! We hope to see you on your next trip to Vegas!

Reviewed December 26, 2013

Let me start with the negatives, but also say it was a good hotel overall. The water temp in the shower was crazy. Either it was scalding hot or rather cool. The room was also much smaller than I expected from the pictures but we only used the room to shower and sleep anyways so that wasn't a big deal just a little surprising. Also the guy who checked us in and out could stand to be a little more friendly. He wasn't rude but he also wasn't very friendly either. Also it can get quite loud so If you're a sensitive sleeper try to get a room away from the street. It didn't bother me too much because I usually go to bed absolutely exhausted in Vegas.

The valet is free but of course we tipped and the workers were all very friendly and they worked rather fast. The gambling in the casino isn't the best but it was pretty good. The bar tenders were pretty good also but not great although they did change the channel to let me watch my favorite team when I asked them to.

The food at the restaurant in the hotel is overpriced for what it was. It wasn't bad or anything but way overpriced for the slow service and not great food.

Like I said it was good overall and I am going back in January so that should tell you that it is worth the money for what you get.

Room Tip: Choose a room not facing the street, the view isnt good and it's really loud.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank MrsArreola

We appreciate the feedback regarding the different aspects of your stay. As for the music on Fremont Street, we are happy to move guests to a different room on the other side of the hotel at their request, per availability. We’re happy to hear you will be joining us again soon!

Reviewed December 23, 2013

First off let me say that I love the Golden Gate and it is my favorite casino to stay at when I am visiting **on my own without the girlfriend**. The fact that this may be the best casino in Vegas is stated with a strong caveat that it works for certain folks and situations only in my opinion.

Pros: the casino - especially the casino after 7pm; this is the hottest spot going - dancing girls, hot dealers, music blaring, low limit tables, party atmosphere, an absence of the clubby uppity California pretty crowd you find at the Cosmopolitan or Hard Rock; okay so now let's get on to the hotel for review:

Pros: convenient and clean - the location is downtown within an easy walk to all the other downtown casinos, out the front door is one of the stages with performances at night, right next door is the Golden Nugget if you need a taste of more upscale or higher end decor/dining/bar scene; beds are super super comfy; rooms are extremely clean

Cons: okay the rooms and bathrooms are small - are you really going to be in the room that much?; if the answer is yes then this is probably not the place to stay then; not the best place for a romantic getaway or a picky girlfriend - that said the place is super clean so don't read into that it is anything but the smaller scale and old school windows, etc.; if you want upscale or hoity toity then go next door to the Golden Nugget or go onto the strip; also - if you plan on going to bed before 2am then don't get a room facing Freemont - my guess is that most folks who stay here don't go to bed before 2am though...

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Recruiting

We are pleased to hear we are one of your favorite casinos to stay at in Vegas! As you mentioned, the music from Fremont can be a bit much for some of our guests, and at their request, we are happy to move them to a room away from the music, per availability. We're looking forward to your next visit!

Reviewed December 20, 2013

In advertisements the Golden Gate Hotel was described as an intimate, boutique hotel/casino that is energetic and contemporary, offers modern conveniences, all 106 rooms have been remodeled to reflect a modern sensibility.
Misleading advertisement. Arrived late on our first night. Room was on the second floor, very small, new carpet, flat screen TV did not work. Bathroom old, tile, tub finish, caulk, fixtures were old and in poor condition, no regulating shower, too hot or too cold. Bathroom was so small door would not open fully because it hit the toilet. Old single pane windows were drafty, and provided no noise relief from the busy alley. Alley was so noisy, impossible to sleep. Positive comfortable bed. Long skinny hallways.
Next morning upgraded to a larger room. Friendly staff—stated, the room in were in is horrible, we save those for people who come in late at night. Room was comfortable, updated, quiet, conveniently located next to elevator. Only negative was shower dripped. $20 per night added (surprise) for resort fee which paid for “free Wi-Fi, made the room overpriced, poor value for the $$. No amenities—in room coffee and water $3.00 each. Positives... Great Location right on Fremont Street, friendly staff, convenient parking, excellent pancakes and shrimp cocktails.

Room Tip: Do not stay on the 2nd floor
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Sarah C, Manager at Golden Gate Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2013

We do appreciate the feedback from your stay and apologize that you felt deceived. We're pleased to hear our staff was able to move you to a room that better met your expectations. Although we have added the resort fee, which includes free Wi-Fi, free local & toll free calls, as well as $10 off tickets to shows at the D, we have lowered our room rates in order to continuously give our guests the best value in town.