“EXPERIENCE THE OLD LAS VEGAS IN COMFORT!!!!”

Golden Gate Hotel & Casino
Ranked #134 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed April 2, 2013

This hotel is one of the first....it's old phone number was "1"....the rooms are small and unique, but please remember that this hotel is old and has lots of history and still has modern conveniences...Fremont Street Experience is right outside the front door and lots of fun...the staff is very friendly and helpful...ENJOY!!!!

Room Tip: If you want quiet, ask for a room away from Fremont Street....
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank SANDRA M
There are newer reviews for Golden Gate Hotel & Casino

Reviewed March 16, 2013

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Jason J
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We had the opportunity to be invited to stay at the Golden Gate Suites, and to be perfectly honest they were very impressive. The room was large and spacious,however the set-up for the shower, sink, and restroom space was a little cramped, but again the room itself was a pleasant suprise. The disappointment came in the house keeping area. We had left the room at approximately 1:00 pm, and came back at 3:50pm, the room had not been touched, we went to the front desk at 3:55pm where we talked to the man (afternoon man), and explained the situation he said he would take care of it. We left the hotel and came back at 10:30pm, the room had not been touched. We went back to the front desk and talked to the same front desk man that we had talked to earlier, he stated if we would have let him know about the room before 5:00pm he could have taken care of it, I told him what time we had talked to him earlier, and he just stood there shrugged his shoulders and said nothing. I asked to speek to a manager, which I did, I told him how we had placed the "we are downstairs in the casino, please service the room" sign, Manager explained how the wind probably blew the card around and house keeping didn't see the right card. Halls must be very drafty there, he promised he would put it on the list for the next day, we had to ask for clean towels, and went back to our unserviced room. Next day left room at approximately 11:00pm, came back at 2:50pm room still had not been done. Went to front desk talked to a young lady, explained the situation, she contacted someone looked at me and said it would be taken care of now. It was. I was just a little disappointed that it took two days and numerous trips to the front desk to get the room cleaned. A service I beleive that should be done daily. Again the suites were very nice, and if I knew for sure the rooms would be cleaned in a timely fashion I would have no problem going back to one of their suites.

Room Tip: Again if I were to get a room there again, it would be one of their suites.
2  Thank Marcelino G
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Stayed here for NYE a couple of months back and needless to say, we actually really enjoyed our stay. First off, before the renovation, this place was a class A dump nestled perfectly between two more dumps, the Plaza hotel and the Las Vegas Club. They served football beers with straws and had cheap craps. It was a dive and a place for me to gamble when I had friends in town whom wanted cheap tables and booze. That was before any renovations took place.

With the new management and recent renovations, Wow! I had no idea how much nicer it was both inside and out! The casino looks great and the new dealertainers add a nice touch as well. While the rooms are still just as old as the building itself, I think that adds to the charm of the place. Fortunately the beds were very plush but the room is small. The bathroom still looks and feels like it must have in the 1920's with the old tile but as I said before, it adds to the charm.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MrInternational702
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I know casinos are set up to get your attention on the casino floor, but the front desk here is hard to find, it is in a side alcove, to the left inside the front door of the casino. My husband and I have stayed in this hotel many times, and have always enjoyed it. They have remodeled since we had been there last, and we were confused, even though we are familiar with the casino. We had a room on the second floor looking out over Freemont street. Yes it can be noisy, but we really enjoyed being able to see the Freemont street experience from our window, and a couple of the bandstands. This is an old casino, so the rooms are really small. The bathroom has just a shower, although I have been told the new rooms have tubs. The shower was pretty good, even though some of the tiles were cracked. I don't like the fact that they have a kreig single cup coffee maker, and each cup you use is $2.00. They used to have little coffee makers and the coffee was free. The old $.99 shrimp cocktail has went up to $2.99 which is OK as it is the same, just missed the idea of a $.99 shrimp cocktail! You could get 2 and make it dinner. Still can, just costs more. The rooms are starting to show their age again. Three or four years ago, they redid all the rooms and they were really nice, but now the use is showing. There were two maintence issues, the register for the heat/air conditioning was too large for the opening, and was duck taped in place, why?? Later the first night we were there, the elevator quit working, quite inconvient as you had to go through the halls to a stairway that led down to the valet parking area (outside) and then back into the casino. Everyone we encountered was extremely nice, and the casino floor is refreshed. All in all this is a good place to stay for the price. It is one of the least expensive casinos downtown, and has no resort fees as they have no pool, spa, etc.

Room Tip: If you don't mind the noise, a room on the second or third floor overlooking Freemont street can...
2  Thank cactus140
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Have stayed at practically every downtown hotel over the years, but this was the first time we had stayed at the Golden Gate. Rooms were comped, so that may have something to do with it, but our room was a total dissappointment. Overlooked the alley, with glass breaking, people fighting every night. Garbage collection every morning at 6. Rooms are small, but the hotel is old, so we kind of expected that. Clean and the housekeeping service was good. Ice machine out of ice one day. Elevator quick, staff very friendly. Safe is in a cabinet on the floor and you have tro lie down to get access to it. There is no ironing board or iron in the room. I think this would be perfect for someone who is out all night and is just looking for clean sheets to crash on.

4  Thank vynnp
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Where do I start?
My son and I booked a 6 night vaca to Vegas, our 2nd together. We played at the Golden Gate last October and found the casino to be one of our favorites. Old, tiny, smelly, fun, great drink service and PENNY KENO. Sold! When we each received a coupon for 3 free nights, play and food, it was a no-brainer. Very inexpensive vacation, only paying airfare.
BEWARE - if you need two beds, you will be relegated to the Fremont Street side with your free room.
Okay - let's talk about the room. You know the steerage rooms on Titanic? Picture that. Getting off the elevator, it looked nice enough. Doors were wide, etc. As we wound around the hallway maze to our room, the doors got smaller and visibly dated. I noticed a closet that had a door about 12 inches wide. As we approached the hallway to our room, I heard the Motley Crue cover band performing RIGHT BELOW OUR WINDOW. The noise was DEAFENING. We laughed it off and took in the room. The most high-tech clock I've ever seen, set about 7.25 hours fast. It had an Ipod docking station, wave sounds (hilarious, like we could actually hear WAVES over the blasting noise), and no way of figuring out how to set the thing to the right time. There was a nice coffeemaker, $2 per cup vs. the Golden Nugget's $10 - good deal. A nice basket of snackies with granola bars, Fiji water, trail mix, jerky, and OPENED Combos (which we reported), for $2 each. This was a nice touch. The World's Oldest Hair Dryer, a nice TV with incorrect show postings and nuthin but news and news and sports and news. Super comfy beds. The bathroom was tiny and we could NOT control the water temp, as everyone says here. No counter area WHATSOEVER.
I wasn't concerned about the noise, as we stay up late and, well this is Vegas, and Fremont Street. BUT.....at 7:00 a.m, even WORSE NOISE was ongoing all six days, as the CONSTRUCTION CREW began jackhammering the STREET, no exaggeration. Backhoes, bulldozers, jackhammers, slamming chunks of concrete. After several days of this, and being in the casino with the extremely loud music playing there all night, my ears were killing me and I had a constant major headache. We couldn't escape the noise, there was no PEACE and QUIET. If I could have afforded it, we would've moved to a different hotel for sure.

I have worked in the hospitality industry for 20+ years, and I am stunned by the lack of information the service people had at the front desk and valet area. We asked about the Open Top Tour bus, and was told that the Golden Nugget had a concierge, to go there and ask about it. When we went to the Golden Nugget, they told us they had no concierge. But they did tell us where to wait for the tour bus. When I asked the hours of the tour bus, the operator said they run til 6. I was ok with that, but was disappointed that they didn't run in the evening and ran till just 6. It was $70 for the two of us, a little spendy, but we thought it would be fun. When ON the tour, we were displeased to learn that not only did they have night tours, but they were $20 each! Big bummer....Also, at the Golden Gate, the desk people had no idea where the airport shuttle picked up at their hotel. They again suggested we go to the Golden Nugget to get picked up, as it was "quicker". It is important, in the tourist industry, that service reps know where to direct guests for area attraction info, if they don't know it themselves.

We had good food at DuPar's, LOVE THAT SHRIMP COCKTAIL. Nice player comps. We each had a $20 coupon and again earned another $15 during our stay.

GAMBLING IS THE BOMB at the Golden Gate. Penny Keno actually paid off on a regular basis, as did the nickel keno my son played. The last day of our stay, he won the amount of money he brought for the whole trip, off of a 20 cent bet! The cocktail servers are great, and usually prompt, a couple of the younger gals had a slight 'tude. Our favorite was Gloria - a wonderful, beautiful woman who was so courteous and professional and kind.

I like the dancing girls - trademark for the GG - but the music, combined with the noise of our room, was a little much to take by day 5. Overall - we loved the casino and will go back for sure. We spent most of our gambling dollars there. The room? Not likely ever again. Oh - our room was #232, situated right over the the sign. Metal and glass windows open up, with no screens. Need some better new windows and individual a/c units.

For one or two nights as a couple? Get a room away from Fremont. Otherwise, choose the Golden Nugget - you'll be much much happier.

Room Tip: DON'T stay on the Fremont Street side - you'll be DEAF.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family