“A little dissapointing”

Ranked #134 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
Bakersfield, California
“A little dissapointing”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Have stayed at practically every downtown hotel over the years, but this was the first time we had stayed at the Golden Gate. Rooms were comped, so that may have something to do with it, but our room was a total dissappointment. Overlooked the alley, with glass breaking, people fighting every night. Garbage collection every morning at 6. Rooms are small, but the hotel is old, so we kind of expected that. Clean and the housekeeping service was good. Ice machine out of ice one day. Elevator quick, staff very friendly. Safe is in a cabinet on the floor and you have tro lie down to get access to it. There is no ironing board or iron in the room. I think this would be perfect for someone who is out all night and is just looking for clean sheets to crash on.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank vynnp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Korean first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Where do I start?
My son and I booked a 6 night vaca to Vegas, our 2nd together. We played at the Golden Gate last October and found the casino to be one of our favorites. Old, tiny, smelly, fun, great drink service and PENNY KENO. Sold! When we each received a coupon for 3 free nights, play and food, it was a no-brainer. Very inexpensive vacation, only paying airfare.
BEWARE - if you need two beds, you will be relegated to the Fremont Street side with your free room.
Okay - let's talk about the room. You know the steerage rooms on Titanic? Picture that. Getting off the elevator, it looked nice enough. Doors were wide, etc. As we wound around the hallway maze to our room, the doors got smaller and visibly dated. I noticed a closet that had a door about 12 inches wide. As we approached the hallway to our room, I heard the Motley Crue cover band performing RIGHT BELOW OUR WINDOW. The noise was DEAFENING. We laughed it off and took in the room. The most high-tech clock I've ever seen, set about 7.25 hours fast. It had an Ipod docking station, wave sounds (hilarious, like we could actually hear WAVES over the blasting noise), and no way of figuring out how to set the thing to the right time. There was a nice coffeemaker, $2 per cup vs. the Golden Nugget's $10 - good deal. A nice basket of snackies with granola bars, Fiji water, trail mix, jerky, and OPENED Combos (which we reported), for $2 each. This was a nice touch. The World's Oldest Hair Dryer, a nice TV with incorrect show postings and nuthin but news and news and sports and news. Super comfy beds. The bathroom was tiny and we could NOT control the water temp, as everyone says here. No counter area WHATSOEVER.
I wasn't concerned about the noise, as we stay up late and, well this is Vegas, and Fremont Street. BUT.....at 7:00 a.m, even WORSE NOISE was ongoing all six days, as the CONSTRUCTION CREW began jackhammering the STREET, no exaggeration. Backhoes, bulldozers, jackhammers, slamming chunks of concrete. After several days of this, and being in the casino with the extremely loud music playing there all night, my ears were killing me and I had a constant major headache. We couldn't escape the noise, there was no PEACE and QUIET. If I could have afforded it, we would've moved to a different hotel for sure.

I have worked in the hospitality industry for 20+ years, and I am stunned by the lack of information the service people had at the front desk and valet area. We asked about the Open Top Tour bus, and was told that the Golden Nugget had a concierge, to go there and ask about it. When we went to the Golden Nugget, they told us they had no concierge. But they did tell us where to wait for the tour bus. When I asked the hours of the tour bus, the operator said they run til 6. I was ok with that, but was disappointed that they didn't run in the evening and ran till just 6. It was $70 for the two of us, a little spendy, but we thought it would be fun. When ON the tour, we were displeased to learn that not only did they have night tours, but they were $20 each! Big bummer....Also, at the Golden Gate, the desk people had no idea where the airport shuttle picked up at their hotel. They again suggested we go to the Golden Nugget to get picked up, as it was "quicker". It is important, in the tourist industry, that service reps know where to direct guests for area attraction info, if they don't know it themselves.

We had good food at DuPar's, LOVE THAT SHRIMP COCKTAIL. Nice player comps. We each had a $20 coupon and again earned another $15 during our stay.

GAMBLING IS THE BOMB at the Golden Gate. Penny Keno actually paid off on a regular basis, as did the nickel keno my son played. The last day of our stay, he won the amount of money he brought for the whole trip, off of a 20 cent bet! The cocktail servers are great, and usually prompt, a couple of the younger gals had a slight 'tude. Our favorite was Gloria - a wonderful, beautiful woman who was so courteous and professional and kind.

I like the dancing girls - trademark for the GG - but the music, combined with the noise of our room, was a little much to take by day 5. Overall - we loved the casino and will go back for sure. We spent most of our gambling dollars there. The room? Not likely ever again. Oh - our room was #232, situated right over the the sign. Metal and glass windows open up, with no screens. Need some better new windows and individual a/c units.

For one or two nights as a couple? Get a room away from Fremont. Otherwise, choose the Golden Nugget - you'll be much much happier.

Room Tip: DON'T stay on the Fremont Street side - you'll be DEAF.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank travelgirl1960
Buffalo
Reviewed February 19, 2013

January marked my 3rd stay at the Golden Gate. The old girl is undergoing an awkward transition from old to new(er). I love the sense of history in staying in a building with such history in it's bones. The spirits of the Rat pack, Hoover dam workers, and the countless travelers through the years are present in the building. If those walls could talk! I miss the old deli in the back, and the old lobby with it's wooden cubby holes for room keys and of course the piano. Yes the rooms are small. They are decorated well and everything works except the plumbing. Regulating the shower temperature is impossible. The bathtub in my 3rd floor room facing Fremont was pretty beat up. The staff in the place was superb. Everyone I dealt with was first class and genuine. As a fifty something man I can do without the thumping bass excuse for music that plays each night in the casino. I would speculate that most players their would agree.
The noise from Fremont is a given, EXPECT it and enjoy the atmosphere. The ownership of this fine place has a difficult task, upgrading an old building to do business in a modern economy while trying to stay true to your roots. It's not the strip, its not the Marriott, it is a piece of history that is worth a stay if you can deal with the little quirks of the place.

Room Tip: stay away from Fremont if you like to sleep
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank chiefwinemaker
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed February 17, 2013

When we stay downtown it's usually at the Golden Nugget but we received an offer for free stay, play and food so booked a night. Small but clean rooms, slow service but good gaming action. New carpeting, bedding and paint gave the oldest casino in Las Vegas a nice makeover. We did well on the slots and beer service was slow but enjoyed some of the visual amenities.

Room Tip: All the rooms are under the Fremont Experience so ask for a room in the back unless you want to hear...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ahooper125
Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed February 7, 2013

If you’re reading this you’re looking for an inexpensive hotel downtown, which is why I stayed here. So going into it I had low expectations based on the number of stars and reviews. I was surprised at how well the room looked for being an old hotel. Yes the layout, walls, and bathroom fixtures are old. But so much was done to make everything more modern and remodeled with new furniture, nice drapes, flat screen tv, Keurig coffee maker with starbucks, comfy bed, etc. Those things really made it not seem like a good value for a place to stay on a budget! One negative thing that appeared to be with my room (and appears to be one of the few) is that it didn’t really have a window that looked out to anything but at the side of the building just a few feet away. But I wasn’t in the room much and wasn’t staying at the room for a view. Given pricing of some other hotels, if this one cost less as it did when I stayed, I’d definitely consider staying here again.

Room Tip: Make sure room you get has a real window
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank Chad G
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Pros:
-excellent location
-totally completely awesome vibe and night scene - really it's awesome!
-hot dealers, hot dancers in the pit (they are one and the same), liberal drink service, fun crowd, great music - man, I love this place
-down to earth clientele; you won't find your arrogant wanna be pretty boys/girls from California at this joint
-clean rooms that were well accomodated (for what it is - this isn't the Ritz-Carlton here, but it definitely was not the Motel 6 or Super 8 either)
-friendly dealers
-great staff all around (servers, dealers, pit bosses, hotel staff, host)
-very reasonable table limits; great comps if you are a player
-if you want finer dining and luxury just hop over next door to the Golden Nugget for a sec or two; after you get your great meal there (they have some awesome restaurants - but be prepared to pay Strip prices for that) then go back the the real life at this casino

Cons:
-yes, the music outside on Freemont Street is very loud and goes until 1AM; if you are in your room or bed before 1AM this would not be the hotel you should stay at anyway
-would like to see some additional varieties and quantities of slots, but not at the expense of the great selection and quantity of table games

General: has recently been remodeled and the place looks great. Great improvement on the casino bathrooms. Whoever came up with the concept of the hot girl dancing dealers should get a bonus - the vibe in this casino is true Vegas (especially at night) and definitely beats anything on the strip. Don't lose this great niche!

Another note: I stayed here on my own, but often come to Vegas with my somewhat picky girlfriend too. If I had her along I would have to stay at the Golden Nugget next door and we would both play all the time here. Nothing wrong with the Golden Gate lodging - just if you are used to and prefer Kimpton Hotels and more upscale luxury that is not what they are marketing themselves as (which is a good thing in my mind).

Room Tip: If you are picky about noise don't get a room on the Freemont Street face.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank Recruiting
Green Bay
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Of all the Fremont Street area hotels (And over the past 7 years, I've stayed at all of them), I prefer the Golden Gate. The staff is very friendly and the rooms are fun! There's no pool, a lot of rooms face literally nothing and the rooms are around 300-400 square feet, but if you do a little gambling, they'll comp your stay.

Room Tip: For comped rooms, the double beds face Fremont street and are extremely loud (don't expect to sl...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends