“Terrible - Don't stay here”

Gold Coast Hotel and Casino
Ranked #76 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
San Diego, California
“Terrible - Don't stay here”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

I just got back from staying at the Gold Coast Hotel. We went to Las Vegas for a Girls FastPitch Tourney that goes on every year. People come from all over the US including Cananda & Hawaii. The Gold Coast is a "Host" hotel for this tourney, so they are very aware that teams are coming. I booked a "Premier" room w/ 2 Queen beds in August. When I arrived they stated that they didn't have any rooms available. So I then paid the extra $ for a 1 bedroom suite. I checked in - went to the room and found it to be clean and just fine. I then went down to have lunch and do some gambling. About 2 hours later I decided to go back up to my room and relax. When I entered my room there were take-out boxes laid out on the kitchen table, the TV was on but nobody was in the room and no luggage (I flew and my husband was driving with my luggage, so I didn't have any at the time of check-in). I called the front and they said that they had me checked in and were unsure of what happened. The front desk said they would move me to a different room, so I waited for someone to arrive with new keys. About 10 minutes later I see a housekeeping staff member enter my room with her house key? I approached her as she was eating her food along with other housekeeping staff! She told me that it wasn't my room and I was not allowed in there?! Even after I showed her my recipt and room key info, she still stated that it was another guests room. I asked her where the guest's luggage was? She said they were locals and didn't have any? She then became very rude and told me to get out! I was then moved to another room that was not cleaned. It smelled terrible and had rotten food in the fridge! I went down to the front desk and spoke with the manager, David, he told me he would move me to another room. When I told him about the incident in the first room, he really didn't care! Really?! I then requested a roll away bed since they were unable to accomodate me with 2 queens, they charged me $15 per night for the cot! - By the time Monday came and we were checking out that day, I had "bed bug" bites all over my body! It was terrible! I was not given a discount in any way - I had to pay more $ just to get a room instead! I have stayed in many hotels all over for travel ball and the Gold Coast is the absolute worst ever! I have stayed at the Orleans (which is the sister hotel) and have had wonderful service with kind staff memebers. Oh...and the shower leaked all over the bathroom floor, no towels in the room, and the shower was only cold water and wouldn't drain! Worst EVER!

Room Tip: If wanting to stay off the strip for less $, stay at the Orleans.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Amy S
Sarah S, Boyd Gaming Customer Service at Gold Coast Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
The Gold Coast always strives to provide our guests with the best possible experience, and we are concerned whenever one of our customers feels we have fallen short of that mark. In order to better understand what happened during your visit, we would like to speak with you personally and investigate your allegations. We would ask you to call the Gold Coast at (800) 331-5334, and ask to speak to the Hotel Director. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
Norwalk, California
Reviewed November 25, 2012

The toilet bowl didn't flush properly (leave it at that), the shower drained very slowly; thus leaving tub rings and dirt on the tub for the next person about to shower. The sink drain stop broke and I couldn't get it to open so my shaving water was left in the sink. We called and requested another room. This was major inconvenience since we had to go back and wait in line to obtain another room. The front desk person couldn't understand how that room "slipped away" during our stay. Other than that the room was okay. The beds were comfortable and room was clean. I cannot believe that this hotel could have allowed a room that need repair to be reserved. I had three reservations for this stay so I will have an additional 3 reviews on this hotel including the room they moved us to. I hate to give a hotel a one when there is so much promise. However, fair is fair and I cannot lie about my stay in this room.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank JoeA336
Sarah S, Boyd Gaming Customer Service at Gold Coast Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Thank you for choosing the Gold Coast on your recent visit to Las Vegas. We do apologize for the issues you encountered, be assured your comments will be addressed with the appropriate Manager. The issues you encountered should not have happened and we hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay, and by the way we do have a great mattress. Thank you for again for your patronage.
Prince George, Canada
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Stayed at the GC from 12 to 17 of November....rooms were comped by our casino host (thanks so much). This was our wedding trip, and the Gold Coast outdid themselves...treated us like royalty. We had an excellent meal (comped again) at the Cortez room and at the end the staff presented us with this HUGE double chocolate cake which was to die for!! Also they send a beautiful basket to our room which had a bottle of wine, 2 wine glasses lots of fruit and snack bars, peanuts...wow, it was awesome, such a surprise!! They are doing remodelling on one of the floors so if you ask at the front desk which floor, I'm sure they will accommodate you on another floor. The staff at this hotel are so helpful, and will do their best to help you. Used the internet again this trip, was much better than the last time. Hats off to you Gold Coast, you do know how to take care of your patrons!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kgturgeon
Bakersfield, California
Reviewed November 20, 2012

The Gold Coast Hotel and Casino on Flamingo Blvd is one of those places the locals like to frequent. No wild youngsters or sexy waitresses. The casino caters to those who like video poker and penny slots although they do have a decent sports book.
But let's talk about the hotel. Having just stayed at their sister property, the Orleans, last month, I was anxious to compare the two. I gamble a bit so both hotels offer reduced or comped rooms on a monthly basis. The rooms at the Gold Coast are always a little more so I was curious about what they had that the Orleans did not. The answer is....nothing. When I called to make my reservation I was offered an upgrade to a "premium" room for $10 more. This sounded pretty good so I paid the extra $10. What a joke! I went to a friends room (who had also upgraded) prior to checking in myself and together we tried to spot the upgrades. Finally we called the front desk and asked what the upgrades were. Well, it's mainly the bath area that has been remodeled. Rather than having the sink/vanity area separated from the bath/toilet area by a door, the two have been combined into one room and it is separated from the sleeping area by a large sliding door. Oh, and the shower is no longer a fiberglass tub/shower combo. It's now just a large shower. OK, it looks nice and all, but it's not worth paying extra for. When I checked in, I downgraded back to a regular room and was just as happy as I would have been with that sliding door and pretty shower. I should mention that the upgraded dresser was nicer but the closet area of the old room has been replaced with a small armoire. The rooms are small but they have a nice sized flat screen TV and a small, one cup at a time, coffee maker.
Both the Gold Coast and the Orleans are off the strip and cater more to an older crowd. (Bowling, movies, bingo). The Gold Coast is across the street from the Rio and the Palms, so if those are where you like to party, you might consider staying here for much less money. Food choices are limited to the usual buffet faire and a TGI Friday's.
I also have to mention that at 4:15 in the morning we were jolted out of bed by a very loud fire alarm. I guess it's better to be safe than sorry but being in the hallway in your jammies is not the best way to meet your neighbors.
All in all, it was just OK. If given the choice, I would choose the Orleans.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank luv2bethere
Wisconsin
Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights with our 2 kids. We upgraded to the deluxe room. Sounds of grinding and hammering woke us up at 8:30am due to room remodeling. We asked the front desk about it and she said "that's within working hours" but the next 3 days were much quieter. So not too bad. Room was clean and comfortable. Our room was updated but the old carpet remained. Front desk check in was pleasant and the casino was nice. Dealers were friendly and enjoyed playing here! Decent buffet. Not great but decent. Parking was great and love the location for its ease of getting to rather then fighting the strip traffic. Older clientele but were not young anymore. Hope to stay and play here again soon!

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank Widad2
Hawick, Scotland
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Fantastic hotel just off the strip but runs a free bus every 15/20 mins . Nice clean room ,friendly staff ,great buffet. Would reccomend highly the bingo is also good they have a bowking alley and a tgi fridays chinese, noodle bar, ice cream parlour gift shop car rental sports book (british bookies)

Room Tip: ask for an odd numbered room looks over the strip
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jilly62
Las Vegas
Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here 11/11/2012 and we had a great time. Before going to the room we had a bite to eat at TGIF Friday's. The waitress Tiffany was awesome and the food was great. After playing a few games we headed to our room which were located on the 4th floor. The room was dated with old decor from the 80's but it did have a flat screen tv but is it too, was small. The bathroom has old faucet fixtures and the bathtub and toilet is the color of a 70's brown. In the bathtub/shower if your over 6ft it can be a bit uneasy. There is a window in the shower to which you can look out into the parking lot. We were only there for one night but the bed was extremely comfortable. Since my wife and I were a little tipsy when we staggered in the room that night we discovered a letter on the tv stand which stated that they are doing upgrades, so hopefully in the near future they will be done. We will visit again.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple