“Some good some bad.”

Ranked #76 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Tampa, Florida
“Some good some bad.”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

The hotel is somewhat shabby but the rooms are clean and well maintained. The staff is good. This is a nice place for an inexpensive stay. The casino is smoky to the point I could not play at the tables and the smoke permeates the entire first floor. We ate at the buffet for breakfast one morning and the oatmeal was excessively watery and the rest of the meal was room temperature. The restaurant Ping Pang Pong has GREAT food and was voted best Asian restaurant in Vegas recently.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Donny M
Sarah S, Body Gaming Digital Marketing Manager at Gold Coast Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to the Gold Coast. We are currently remodeling a portion of our standard rooms, with hopes of completing the whole hotel early in 2013. Your "Good" and "Bad" comments will be forwarded to the appropriate departments, and by the way we agree with you, Ping Pang Pong is a "Great" restaurant. Again thank you for your comments and we appreciate your patronage.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I go to Vegas pretty regularly, but I have rarely stayed off the Strip just because I like being in the middle of everything. Due to a tight budget and only being in Vegas one night over the weekend, I chose to stay at the Gold Coast. I am so glad I did!! The price was incredibly reasonable and the location is great. It's just off the Strip next to The Rio and across the street from The Palms.

The room is huge!! It was very nicely furnished and the bed was really, really comfortable. It had a nice big screen TV, a good view of The Palms and part of the Strip, and it was incredibly clean. One weird thing though.....the small window in the bathroom and the big window in the room both open. I find that really odd for a Vegas hotel. There's a warning not to open the window, but it's something to be aware of if you have kids....I'm not sure they could reach the top latch on the big window but still, you never know.

My favorite part of the Gold Coast is it's setup. The parking garage is small, but there were plenty of spaces. Once you enter the casino from the garage which is not a far walk at all, you are right at the check in desk. Then, the elevator to our room was seriously right around the corner. No walking 5 bajillion miles through a casino to get to your room. I really appreciated that part after spending the whole day driving, I just wanted to get to my room ASAP.

I would definitely stay at the Gold Coast again, it was wonderful and awesome and all sorts of other amazing adjectives.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank WendyLady03
Midwest
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Having liked gambling at the Gold Coast on previous trips, I decided to take up their two night free room offer for Wednesday and Thursday, October 10 & 11.

IMO, the Hotel was excellent with with a nice view of the surrounding area. It was clean and quiet--not even any minor problem. The employees were friendly and helpful. I will certainly return --nice stay.

I played the slots most of the time (no significant wins). There was, of course, easy access to the Rio and the Palms. The shuttle was used to go to the Orleans and to Bill's so spent one afternoon on the Strip.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper level room if you want a quieter room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Clarkson7
Phoenix
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I've been staying at the GC off and on since it opened back in the 80's. The property has not been allowed to age by the ownership or show any significant signs of wear and tear. I stayed in one of the recently remodeled rooms and it was a very good value. Food choices are on par with good quality local places. I can't recommend TGI Friday's though - the food isn't that great and it's not really that good of a value. Especially when one can spend a few dollars more and eat well at the Cortez room - which was outstanding for dinner, and the buffet for breakfast which is also quite adequate. I've not tried the Asian restaurants yet but they always seem quite busy. Table minimums are quite reasonable at around five dollars. Staff is friendly and prompt with a drink when you're playing. Most games are available almost all the time.

Room Tip: Ask for a remodeled suite. The beds are pretty good, the TV's are new.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank roadwarrior10069
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed October 21, 2012

we stayed thier 2 days in october,,i travel to vegas twice a year and have stayed at several hotels and i must say i loved this one. It is very simple but it gets you away from the tourist madness on the strip,, hard to recomend it for the first timer though as it is fairly far from the strip and does not have alot to see inside , but for the regular it is great,, it has clean rooms, good service and a great buffet,and at the end of the night when you are tired of the crazyness on the strip you can relax at a table game or slot and have a drink....the staff are very friendly and helpful

when it comes to my rating for location i had to give it an average only because many may not like it as thier is little around and it is further from the strip,, personally i give it an excellent because it keeps the tourists to a minimum,, and this is why i chose it, and will again.
- their is a shuttle to the strip and orleans, but it is a wait and almost full some times
- the pool is small but not crowded,
- their is no nightclub thier so less younger people (im mid 30's)....
- suprisingly not terribly smokey either much like many others
-WIFI is a reasonable $5 a day but touchy to hook up,, only works in the room
-thier is a $3 day resort fee far less than others,, i almost payed less for my room than the resort fee alone at the mirage so i have no problem with the fee and think it is very reasonable

the only thing for me to note was someones food bill was mistakenly billed to my room, the problem was quickly fixed however with no problems (hopefully as i have not seen my visa yet) so next time likely at any hotel i will mention i plan on not billing any meals to my room as i never have and see if i can get that option locked out as paying for someone elses meal can really be a negative impact on a stay......and if i may reiterate, the GC clerk fixed the problem quickly and i was very happy with my service

Thank You to the gold coast for a relaxing time, you will see me again

Room Tip: for the extra few dollars get a renovated room,, very few standard rooms have any view at all so don...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kev R
North Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed October 20, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Gold Coast Hotel & Casino. The room was great and with a view of the strip. The Ports of Call Buffet was wonderful. The food was great, the service was great, and was very clean.

I have been at this Hotel many times but this was the first time I stayed there. When we were in Las Vegas we always went out of our way to eat at the buffet. Well worth the trip if you are not sleeping there.

We even found the the slot machines payed more at this Hotel than others.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank msg0414
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed October 18, 2012

First room was on the first floor, I think it was 158. It was okay at first glance, but then we checked the bathroom - ewwwww! Hairs on the sink, hair and bug in the toilet and something that I didn't want to get close enough to figure out what it was in the tub. We called down and asked for a different room. We were moved to the 5th floor. The bellman brought up the new key and this room actually looked like the rooms on their hotel website's photo gallery. The first room seemed to have been decorated in 1970 w/ the same carpet from when it first opened.

Second room looked better and the bathroom was clean, BUT the HVAC system was not working. No A/C or heat, so while we were downstairs getting food at T.G.I. Friday's on the main floor we went to the front desk and alerted the front desk clerk that the HVAC was out of order. We were told that since it was around the time of a shift change it could take more than an hour to have someone come & look at it. Since we wanted to go to sleep and didn't want to wait that long, we were given the key to room 675.

We went up, moved our things out of 5th floor room and went upstairs to 675. Again, a renovated floor w/ the room looking like the photos on the website. All was okay in this room as far as cleanliness went, BUT the menu button on the television remote didn't work. That would be fine, but the TV menu key is how you order wifi for your room. Someone was sent up and told us that while they are going through renovation, issues w/ the television menu services will be out of order while the upgrade is happening. So we weren't able to log on for wifi or use the menu service to do express check out. Luckily there was an ethernet cable in one of the drawers and once we plugged it in, we were online.

Overall, for the rate, it wasn't bad, but I don't know if I'd stay there again. The place is not horrible, but also not as nice - so you get what you pay for. The rate we got was awesome compared to other hotels for this same weekend.

Previously I have stayed at The Venetian, Aladdin (now Planet Hollywood - I think), MGM Grand, New York New York, Monte Carlo, Luxor and Imperial Palace. In order, Venetian was best, then New York New York, MGM Grand, Aladdin, Monte Carlo, Luxor, Gold Coast and Imperial Palace was by far the worst EVER. Never ever stay at Imperial Palace.

Pros for Gold Coast: 24 hour bowling alley, The Noodle Exchange - good food! definitely try the mini hot pot... and the 24 hour T.G.I. Friday's and the courteous and attentive staff.

Cons: inconsistencies w/ room renovations, room cleanliness and technical glitches w/ HVAC and electronic menu on television.

Room Tip: This is an old-school hotel/casino and the hotel has the rooms on certain floors renovated, the othe...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank mbLA
Sarah S, Boyd Gaming Corporate Digital Marketing Manager at Gold Coast Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding the cleanliness of our rooms, the air conditioning, and the difficulties with the television. We must apologize that your experience with us was unsatisfactory; this is not in line with our usual high service standards. Your comments have been forward to Housekeeping, Facilities and Hotel Management. In the future, we encourage you to bring this to our attention immediately so we can rectify the situation promptly. Again, thank you for your review and your positive comments regarding the bowling alley, The Noodle Exchange, and T.G.I. Friday's. We look forward to your future stay.