“I really wanted to like this place, but...”

Travelodge Las Vegas Airport North/Near the Strip
Ranked #116 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
Boston, Massachusetts
“I really wanted to like this place, but...”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

This hotel defines average, based on a pros and cons. We had an excellent rate, seeing that it was CES. I also hate having to wander through a maze of slot machines to get back to my room at night, or after a long day of meetings, so, I loved the idea of staying at a "regular" hotel that was close the the action. I also loved that we could get a non-smoking room and not have to walk through a smoke-filled casino.

Now, for our actual stay.

Pros: room very clean, microwave and fridge in room (we walked to the Vons down Tropicana to stock up on some breakfast and lunch snacks - if you go 1.5 miles down the road, towards UNLV campus, you'll find it, there is also a bus, I believe the 201, but it was a nice day and we wanted the exercise), and we had no problems with the internet, which was free - yay! The location was great too, 5 - 10 minute walk to the MGM monorail, depending on how speedy you are and the size of your heels.

Cons: I never felt safe walking to the hotel by myself, even at 5pm, and I'm a city mouse. This feeling was perpetuated by two instances. One, my husband and I arrived to our staircase at around 9pm and we were blocked from going upstairs by two gentleman and a woman demanding to use our cell phones. We said they were dead (which they actually were, btw). They then told us we should let them in our rooms to shower and use our room phone and they would take us to a party. We politely declined and said we were tired (rather than escalating the situation). When we asked them to let us pass, they started screaming at us for being (well, i'm not going to write those word on here). We eventually got by them and called the front desk. THREE phone calls later, the front desk finally answered and pretty much told us: don't answer your door and use common sense, they tried to use our phone earlier and I said no, that's why they are bugging you. My thoughts: There are people harassing your guests and trespassing your property. I really was expecting something more than being told not to be stupid (which I already had covered, thanks).

The next night, we come back to our door and find a guy sitting on our air conditioning unit, leaning against our window. This time, I approached the front desk with humor, stating that I must be "cursed". The response that time was a simple "we'll take care of it." I heard some yelling, didn't bother to check it out, and went to bed.

There were other minor hotel cons, like the fact the shower would rapidly switch between hot and cold water - and ever time someone around us flushed a toilet or turned on a shower, it sounded like the pipes were going to burst - loud enough banging to wake me up. Also, our room was really narrow, we were constantly bumping into each other and, there were no free outlets. That was tough when there were two of us who needed to plug in laptops and cell phones. We had to charge one laptop at a time with both of our cell phones tethered to that one laptop - that's how few outlets we had. But, those issues pale in comparison to the major safety issues. I know the hotel isn't responsible for the behavior of others - but - they are responsible for how they handle it and how they respond to their guests concerns, neither of which made me feel welcomed or safe staying there - or eager to return during my next visit.

Also, random side note, I left a gratuity for the housekeeping daily. The first day, it was accepted. The second day it was still there, so, I moved it to a new location, thinking maybe I had accidentally blocked it with a book or something. The third day, it was there again, so, on the fourth day, I just doubled it. I'm not sure what was going on with that.

Helpful tip we got when I called the desk (I wish I got her name, she was the best!). Cab Directions: Take the Swenson St. exit to Tropicana, the hotel is right behind the giant Motel 6 sign (our cab was only $15) - we arrived after the shuttle stopped.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Elizabeth K
ambassadortravelodge, General Manager at Travelodge Las Vegas Airport North/Near the Strip, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Thank You for your response regarding your current stay at the Ambassador Strip Inn Travelodge, we take every comment very seriously. in regards to the Stairwell being blocked, i am sorry nthat this happen to you. I have informed my staff that anytime a guess express a concern thaqt they are to notify Managment right away so this problem can be taken care of.

We are now making sure that our Maintenence staff that is on during the evening time is checking to make sure that we do not have any unregistered guests on the property, to assure that this does not happen again

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
RICHMOND
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Good value, friendly staff, clean rooms. and great location to the strip. The airport is close also which makes this stay a plus. Also the car rental drop off is just 5-10 minutes away.
The only problem I had which if I known was the wifi wasn't working after them telling me it was working. I needed the wifi for work and they told me it was out. I would of stayed somewhere else if I knew the wifi was out.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

1 Thank Walter K
ambassadortravelodge, General Manager at Travelodge Las Vegas Airport North/Near the Strip, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Thank You, for your comments regarding your recent stay. in regards to the problems that you had with the Wifi, this has been brought to oour attention, and we have contracted with a new company, called Deep Blue Communications, to provide an improved Wifi to our guests.

Christopher L Myren