“A Surprising Hawaiian Oasis in Downtown Vegas”

California Hotel & Casino
Ranked #87 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
“A Surprising Hawaiian Oasis in Downtown Vegas”
Reviewed February 6, 2014

One block from Fremont Street Experience we enjoyed the Aloha spirit of the Cal when we stayed for Championship Weekend. Gracious staff really made us feel special. Great location. Connected to Main Street Station and two minute walk from Fremont Street. Close enough to enjoy the fun yet far enough away for some peace and quiet.
Would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for room near elevator. They are quiet and the hall is long.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank PuravidavidS

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Mililani, Hawaii
Reviewed February 6, 2014

We love staying at The Cal! It's nice to play at a casino where the staff treats you like family. We go to Vegas about 5 times a year and every time we're at The Cal, you have a feeling of "home". The rooms are clean and the restaurants are great not only because the food is good, but you have a variety of choices, from just having your every day dining at the Market Street Café, or a plate lunch type of meal at the Snack Bar, or even an amazing evening at a fine dining restaurant at The Redwood Bar and Grill. Or even just getting an ice cream cone at the Ice Cream shop on the second floor.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank cathypeavy
Levittown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 29, 2014

The Cal was the best choice my wife and I have made. It was better to and for us then we could have hoped. The room was clean and well maintained. The food at each place we ate was great and the service both in the hotel and casino could not have been better. After spending last Christmas out on the strip, we made the choice to try downtown and The Cal. We will never go back to staying on the strip.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank hitnron
Pearl City, Hawaii
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We go to Vegas once a month and the only hotel we stay at is The Cal. It is true, they do treat us Hawaiians very well. But, I notice that the staff is great to all guests! They make an effort to recognize us frequent visitors (often calling us by name!) and welcome us like family. The Market Street Café is just great (food and price) and the staff there is super. The rooms are spacious and very clean and the beds are super comfy. The mini fridge in each room is very helpful for diabetics like me. The only negative I can say is that there are not much TV stations to watch. But, then, I do not pay air fare to watch TV! The casino is just small enough so I feel very safe and comfortable playing late at night after my husband goes to bed. I LOVE going to The Cal and always look forward to my next trip!

Room Tip: I always ask for a room close to the elevator because I am handicapped (arthritis--walk with a cane...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Marjorie M
Midwest
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We stayed two nights at the California (Tue-Thu) and I was please with our experience. It seems with some of these downtown hotels you aren't 100% sure what you will get. I was confident by the reviews it would be sufficient and it was. The room was comfortable and most importantly clean. The one negative is the showers, they are setup for people who are like 5'8 and shorter it seems. I am 6' and I felt like a giant in the shower. If you don't mind walking a block to Fremont St and want somewhere cheap and clean, then give the California a chance.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TrueKCRoyalsFan
trevor-wa
Reviewed January 9, 2014

An older hotel that is kept up well to Boyd standards. My wife and I come to vegas 6-9 times a year and like to stay at places that don't give us any problems and don't charge a resort fee and the california fits the bill, nothing great but I can't say anything bad about it. The staff is all very friendly and makes you feel right at home.

Room Tip: I ask to be away from noisy air conditioners on top of the casino, but if you are on the north end t...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank trevor-wa
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Had a very quiet room on 6th floor at rear corner of building though only view of back road and highway. Unfortunately, very hard pillows kept us up all night. The bed had some plastic covering which was also uncomfortable. Shower was not adjustable and tub was clogged, but at least water was warm. Outlets were very loose. Room was clean and had wide screen TV, though with only stretched SD, and no HD. Window shutters worked well to keep sun out in morning. Not a bad price for a New Years stay for only 2 days with no extra fees that other hotels charge. Made big mistake taking a shuttle from airport since downtown is the last stop. Took 45 min! However, be prepared for a taxi price of $40 to airport - yikes!

Room Tip: Ask if they have soft pillows to send to your room right up front, unless you're ok with sleepin...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple