“Great place, great value on Fremont St.”

California Hotel & Casino
Ranked #94 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Rancho Cucamonga, California
“Great place, great value on Fremont St.”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

My wife received a special offer from the hotel so we thought we would give it a try. The rooms were nice, clean and comfortable. The drinks were good, the gaming was ok, but the food was excellent! We had the prime rib special one night, which was excellent! The vegetable at the salad bar were fresh, and the service was very good. I would highly recommend the California.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank oldguy517

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Nampa
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I have stayed in many, many hotels in Las Vegas, in every price range from well under a $100 to well over $300 per night and I simply haven't found any as great a place to stay as the California. I know, I know it is down town and it is not the glitzy or high glamour and emotional place as others are, but does one sleep and eat and live in the glitz and glamour, I don't think so, not even the richest or most famous it just seems that way because that is what you are to believe! Having written that little speech then I say this about the California... extremely clean EVERYWHERE in the building, even the air. The rooms are immaculate and oh so comfortable! The food is great and when the price is considered it is even better (I like good food at a good price and will always rate a location high for these reasons). It is so easy to access and also one can travel easily to Fremont Street, a very short walk and then if you feel like the "battle" either drive, take a taxi, bus or the Deuce to the Strip & beyond. By the way gambling is just that, a gamble so take it wherever you want the outcome is the same...it is well known that these monstrosity along the Strip are "built on our vast losing’s". Stay here at least once, especially if you are tired of the Strip and see if you agree, if not I would "wager" you didn't lose much for trying! Have fun, the place, the food and especially the people are great!
Did I forget to tell you the price is fantastic for what you get and can't be beat!

Room Tip: I believe any room would be great, but you could ask for a room in the tower closest to the check in...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank coonclan
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed April 17, 2013

9 - 12 April 2013
Room 501

We checked in at about 10 pm. First room assigned was 1006 - a smoking room. Back down to reception for a change to a non-smoking room. Reception staff were pleasant and efficient.

The room was a bit better than the rooms in the other two downtown hotels I have stayed in.

Bed was comfortable, pillows were a bit high for me but my Mom liked them.

Bathroom was in good shape, no drips and well cared for, though not new. Toilet handle had to be held down to fully flush. The tub was comfortable and water hot.

Complaints included: only a pocket door for the bathroom (which my Mom didn't care for) and there were no curtains and no blackout for the windows - it was shuttered. That meant that a lot of light came in the room in the morning. Certainly that would be a concern if you like to stay up late. Rooms in the other tower did not have shutters (Mom stayed in the other tower in October 2012).

I enjoyed the downtown vibe and the feel of the California and would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: room 501 - tower closest to the reception desk was close to the elevator but did not have elevator n...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Honolulu
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Small hotel and casino downtown with great restaurants and small shops. There is a Lappert's ice cream shop, tiny Ethel M chocolate shop, and cafes that serve Hawaiian and local style food. The coffee shop is 24 hours and has great specials including miso butterfish and ox tail soup. They also have comfort food such as saimin or won ton min. Many elderly Hawaii gamblers frequent this hotel. The casino was on the quiet side and not crowded at all. The walkway attaching this hotel to the Main Street Casino and Hotel makes it a safe bridge to go from one hotel to the next.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chocokiss50
Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

This trip to Vegas I wanted to stay near the Freemont St. Experience instead of The Strip. I read about the California and booked it at a very good rate. If it weren't for the great rate, I would have been very upset. As it is, you really do get what you pay for and that isn't much.
The beds are way too soft, the cable TV offers only about 15 channels and NO Fox News Channel, the 1st hotel I've ever stayed in without it. Couldn't get any accurate news for almost a week. My wife & her mother were assaulted and threatened with bodily harm in the casino.
The staff were not very friendly.
The Redwood Restaurant was good and very reasonable.

• Stayed April 2013
Sarah S, Boyd Gaming Customer Service at California Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thank you for your review. We appreciate you sharing your experience with us. We take pride in the value that we offer guests and we continually look for ways to improve our hotel so that no one leaves disappointed. We apologize that our staff was not more welcoming during your stay. We aim to make all our guests feel comfortable and safe. We are very concerned to hear that there was a time during your stay that you and your family did not feel safe. Your comments have been forwarded to the Director of Security and the General Manager. We’d like to know more about your experience and we invite you to contact us directly at www.thecal.com/contact-us. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Travelers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

Lithia
Reviewed April 11, 2013

My family and I spent a week here. We loved the friendliness of the staff and how tidy everything was kept. I particularly enjoyed the hotel’s proximity to the Freemont Experience. The area surrounding the hotel is reminiscent of the golden age of Vegas. I would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
London, England
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Having spent 3 nights at the nearby Main Street Station Hotel which was extremely noisy, I requested a quiet room and ended up on the 10th floor of the East Tower which was well shielded from the nearby freeway but not from the sound stages of Freemont Street. The advantages of downtown hotels are also the disadvantages. You're right next to the action and noise, so take your earplugs. My room was very comfortable and clean and reasonably priced and I'd certainly return to this area and hotel as a change from the chaos of the Strip. I spent a very pleasant week exploring the downtown area.
My only criticism is that the bedrooms are not double glazed which would certainly alleviate some of the street noise.

Room Tip: The East Tower is shielded from the freeway noise, but I expect that most of the rooms suffer from t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo