“Downtown Experience Without The Noise Of Fremont Street”

California Hotel & Casino
Ranked #87 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed January 8, 2013

For the past six years (usually in November to avoid the heat) my wife and I go to Vegas with another couple. For five of the six years we choice to stay downtown where the casinos are close
together, and it's much easier to get around--not to mention (in our opinion) more fun than walking forever to get from place to place on the strip. For the last two years we have been staying at the California Hotel & Casino and love it. It's just far enough off Fremont Street to avoid the ear splitting noise of the nightly "Fremont Street Experience" every hour, but easy to get
to if you're so inclined. Located one block in back of the Vegas Club and Binion's and across the
street from their sister casino, Main Street Station, it really does have "an world charm" without being overly rustic.

The California has a Hawaiian theme, since about 85% of those that stay there are from Hawaii
(so I've been told). Both the hotel and casino staff were very nice and accommodating and the
rooms were nice. This isn't the Wynn, but the accommodations were above average, and very
important to us, the halls and rooms were quiet. What little noise we heard was from the traffic,
sirens, and an occasional train outside on Main Steet and in back of the Main Street Hotel. But, even that wasn't bad. The beds were comfortable and housekeeping kept everything clean and tidy.

There is free parking for hotel guest, the only bad thing is that you have to park above the forth or fifth floor in the parking garage. The lower levels are for valet. But, then again, you're not going to be going in and out all day. Downtown casinos are usually cheaper, but if you really want to go to the strip, you're only about a two block walk to where you can catch the Deuce
(doubledecker) buses and avoid having to drive and park, or pay for an expensive cab ride.

Another reason we like it downtown, especially the California, is that it is also easy access to the
the smaller casinos on the east side of town down the Bolder Hwy and some of the best local
places in and around Henderson. We really enjoy the smaller, more intimate casinos that the
locals go to. Every year we find several "new" places to add to our "go to" list.

The California Hotel is just the place for those that want to enjoy themselves without all the bells
and whistles that leave you with a headache after a short time. There's no rap music going full
blast, so you can actually sit and carry on a conversation with someone. And, when you get
hungry, the buffet at the Main Street Station is just a short walk by way of the connecting bridge
on level two, and, in my opinion, one of the best buffets (at a reasonable price) in Vegas.

The downtown casinos are probably not for everyone's taste, but we love it. And, at the California, you get the downtown experience without the noise of Fremont Street (especially at
nite)!

Room Tip: A room on the opposite side from Main Street would probably be quieter. (My guess!)
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
9  Thank Bigbill69
There are newer reviews for California Hotel & Casino

Reviewed January 4, 2013

The California hotel was a clean environment. The staff and personnel were not too friendly nor were they helpful. I went to the front desk a couple times during our stay and when I asked a question on a couple different occasions, I got the same response, "I have no idea what you're talking about". We did eat at the Pasta Pirate and the food was wonderful, but the service was a little too slow. The rooms were clean and the maidstaff was wonderful. I would recommend this place, but not to sure if I'll come back in the near future.

Room Tip: When we came in to check in, we told the front desk we wanted a nicer room because we were getting m...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank K O
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We reserved 12 rooms and a suite and it was fantastic for our 35person family reunion. Karen was exceptional in advising and meeting our needs of tables, chairs, rooms in close proximity of each other, etc. I had stayed at this hotel about 10 years ago and was very surprised at the updating of cleanliness and air handling. It was wonderfully attractive to those from Hawaii as there was food familiar to everyone and of good quality and those from 7 other states were just as pleased.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Janice N
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Many people think that in order to experience first rate service and accommodations you need to pay for what you get.... The California Hotel in Las Vegas is breaking the mold.

A recent visit and business in the downtown area of Las Vegas gave me an opportunity to stay at this warm and welcoming hotel. An Asian flair with patrons and staff lend itself to hospitality and service. Decor is rich with dark woods and brass. Friendly smiles are common and helpful people all in abundance.

From the restaurants and casino tables I found pleasant atmosphere. The rooms were not fancy but clean and comfortable. Location for all my efforts was great. The costs were modest at best compared to booking out on the strip.

I will be back again on occasion to enjoy the wonderful spirit of the California Hotel.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for what you need at the front desk....Very accommodating...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Brian W
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Every year I go to Las Vegas to celebrate my birthday and this wasn't any different. Back in April I stayed at the California Hotel in downtown Vegas for another occasion and my mom and I earned comp rooms and we took advantage for this trip. We stayed in the same tower (East) and even on the same floor (6th) as before. But this time, we didn't have the complete luxury of having almost the entire floor to ourselves as before. This time wasn't the best experience. Not sure on what side, but, around 8:30 pm the two nights we were there, I could hear a baby crying, more like screaming and people coming and going out of the room. Our room was either too warm or too cold and the bathroom sink's drain was slow (I can't stand that). The room and the beds were clean and that was about the best part of the room, although the bed I slept on, sagged a little at the head, where most people sit.
We ate at the Market Street Cafe, again, and though the menu didn't change, I wasn't impressed as before. I had a chili cheese burger and fries and that was about the best thing I ate the times I did eat in the restaurant. The staff was slow during our first visit, but the next day, it picked up. The first night, my mom ordered the prime rib special and asked for it to be medium well and the waitress heard medium rare, but looked at me to clarify, my mom said, yes, (My mom couldn't hear her). It needed to be sent back and by the time it was returned (not too much longer) my mom didn't eat it. The next evening we returned for dinner and my mom ordered the country fried steak, again, not very appetizing, the gravy wasn't seasoned, nor was the steak itself, as it was smothered under all the bland white gravy and the mashed potatoes tasted as if they came from a box, very graining.
I don't pretend to be a food snob nor a foodie, but, I know good food when I eat it, and this wasn't it. Even my fish and chips were greasy and just alright. In Vegas, there are great chefs, I know, I've eaten at some of their restaurants, Emeril's, Bobby Flay's, even Kerry's Simon's burgers at KGB in Harrah's Casnio are pretty good. Its hard to compete, I'm sure, but I'm not sure I would eat at this restaurant again. And to be fair, we only ate there three times, the first night we arrived, we had dinner, dinner the next night, and breakfast before we checked out.
Gaming was good, by the way. Lots of new and fun slots. My mom even won $500 our last night.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Hula324
Reviewed November 1, 2012

It was so nice that the entire floor we were on was non smoking! We went on a vacations Hawaii package which was supposed to include meals...good luck with that! The only meals that were free were in the nasty coffee shop...horrible, uneatable food with worse coffee!
The room was very nice and well appointed with a comfortable bed, no complaints there at all. The casino is OK...and being from Hawaii, I felt right at home since most of the people staying there are from Hawaii. There could be more energy there, seemed kinda dull...
I did like staying on Freemont we had a great time casino hopping then being able to walk back to the room with ease. They need to upgrade the ventilation system so if filters smoke off the casino floor better.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank KATHYBEGOOD
Reviewed October 24, 2012

The California Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas is another Boyd owned and operated casino/hotel located downtown. It is one block from the Fremont. The Cal is connected to the Mainstreet Casino. The Redwood Restaurant and The Pasta House are two great places to have dinner at the Cal. The Mainstreet Casino, which can be reached by going upstairs at the Cal and walking on the causeway, has a buffet that is outstanding for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Both Casinos have a wide variety of slots and table games. A Player's Club card can be used at any of the three mentioned Casinos and can earn comps for meals, rooms, and the gift shop.

Room Tip: Be sure to get a player's card and ask to have their magazine sent to you.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends