“Your typical LV low class hotel”

Arizona Charlie's Boulder Casino Hotel
Ranked #167 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
chicago, IL
“Your typical LV low class hotel”
Reviewed February 13, 2007

Booked and prepaid my reservations via Expedia. From the website, I thought the hotel was part of the casino. It's not. It is a seperate building and looks exactly like the other cheap motels along the Boulder Highway.

Check in was inside the casino, by the gift shop. Because I prepaid the room, I didn't want to put down a credit card. Instead I was forced to pay $35. in case I "lifted something from the room". The next morning, I had to get my deposit back. By the time they made up the room, I would have been long gone. Don't understand this policy at all. Both check-in and check-out personnel were indifferent. Both tried to sign me up for their "player's club" card.

The rooms were suppose to be "suites", bywhich, you had to seperate rooms. Although spacious, they were both small and sparse. The bathroom was tiny and difficult to use.

Both Expedia and the Casino should clearly state that this is a motel and not a hotel by any means of the word. Also, their check-in policy should be made clear at the time of booking.

Would not stay at this location again, only because there are other motels on the Boulder Highway just like it.

• Stayed February 2007
5 Thank bjaysfan21

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
California
Reviewed January 8, 2007

There were LOTS of ANTS on sink. We have to kill them all before brush our teeth. The bed sheets smells a bit, you can hear voices from other rooms, the parking lot is ALWAYS FULL, some people take 2 spaces for one car, the security was there but didn't say anything.
However, the front desk was friendly, the housekeeping too. It's not too far fron the strips, the price is reasonable. We would probably stay there again but will request a room without ants =)

• Liked — the housekeeping
  • Disliked — the room
  • Tips/Secrets — request a clean room, no bugs whatsoever
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
4 Thank E777
Minneapolis
Reviewed December 10, 2006

We've stayed downtown and played at Arizona Charlie's for several years so this time we decided to stay there. We recieved a coupon deal that resulted in us paying $ 20 per night for four nights. Since we played there our comp earnings covered all of our food as well (not a high roller). The staff, from dealers to the check-in lady to slot personnel were the friendliest I have seen in over 20 years of visiting Vegas. They smiled and said hello whether I did or not! Meals at the buffet are terrific and most reasonable. They are making a huge effort to make the landscaping and grounds look very sharp....and it shows. The grounds are clean and neat. The only odd thing I encountered was the room layout. There's lots of room in the 2-room suites, but the layout makes it look rather sparse. It really needs more furniture and larger TV's...but these were minor drawbacks to us since all we do in the room is sleep. This oddity was more than overcome by all the other pluses. I'll be back.

• Liked — friendly staff, low prices, good food
  • Disliked — odd room layout
  • Tips/Secrets — join their Ultimate Rewards club....it earns good comps if you play table games
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with friends
8 Thank Shelby66
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed December 8, 2006

Basic accommodation. Don't expect anything fancy, but it was very clean but looking a bit worn around the edges. At $31 C per night mid-week in early December including taxes it was a bargain. If you book through Travelocity the rate is about $15 less than on the Arizona Charlie web site. A bit of plumbing noise from other rooms, and in the morning the cleaning staff were noisy outside on the open corridors. Sign up for their Ultimate Rewards card on the internet before you go and you can get discounts and a free buffet after only a bit of play. The buffet was barely adequate, but for the price was OK.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Quality of the meals
  • Tips/Secrets — Sign up for the Ultimate Rewards card on the internet before arriving to get meal discounts.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled solo
2 Thank donmcq

Travelers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

Broomfield
Reviewed June 29, 2006

Following is a list of overall impressions:

1) The facade is under construction, making it difficult to get around the front of the hotel/casino. Trucks and workers often impeded clientele traffic.

2) We had a heck of a time finding the hotel check in desk. Only one sign hinted at its location, then we finally had to ask the valet guy.

3) Overall, the exterior is filthy. The sidewalks are ugly with air conditioning, gum and grime stains. Some portions of the exterior were repainted, with overspray on the walkways (no tarps used), The walls and air conditioning units were grimy.

4) We booked a "deluxe" suite with a king bed. There's one big, stark room with a tiny TV in the amoir. Grimy old carpet and dingy walls greeted us. The "ball/hook" door lock was broken off. The bedroom had another tiny TV/amoir, with a fair mattress, and the sink (single) RIGHT NEXT to the bed. The pillows were small, and the linens were stingy (only two bath, hand and wash towels).

5) We called the front desk to get some additional pillows around 6PM, and no one ever came. When we called again to inquire, they said "housekeeping" was hard to reach. No one ever called back, and we never got our pillows.

6) The bathroom fan did not work. Use your imagination after an evening out eating.

7) Service at the Sourdough cafe was abysmally slow. Even after the restaurant manager visited our table to "check" on us, our meals took another 10 minutes to arrive.

Bottom line, this place is the WORST hotel I've visited in over 10 years (Motel 6 does a better job), and I travel extensively. We felt unsafe walking the grounds gazing upon what looked like gang bangers. Avoid this place at all cost.

• Stayed June 2006
13 Thank KapnKrunch
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 8, 2006

This is only our 2nd annual trip to Las Vegas (Mom, Aunt and I). First hotel we stayed at, was AWFUL. So yes Arizona Charlies Boulder was a welcome step up. We had a nice deluxe room which was plenty big enough for us. We loved that the sink and mirror are separate from the shower. Since 3 women trying to get ready at once can be a scary thing. We had an excellent spot, parked right next to elevator and went right up to our room. Great view of the Pool which was nice the one day we got a chance to get in. We ate at the Buffet and the Sourdough Cafe, must say my preference was the Cafe, not the Buffet. Our first impression was not the best because the check in lady had NO Personality but every staff member during our stay after was very friendly, helpful and had a smile for us. You definitely need a car if you are staying here and wanting to go to the Strip or anywhere else.

The only downside we did discover was the carpet was stained in some places but the room and bathroom itself looked clean and maintained. We are already planning our 3rd trip and Arizona Charlie's Boulder (East) will definitely be on our list to stay at. For the price and the location, it is a great deal...

After reading all the reviews here, I was abit afraid but for the price for 3 of us, it couldn't be beat and thought OK lets do it. I am glad I didn't let the mixed reviews detour me from booking a room and staying here. Also, lastly, the air conditioner in our room worked great which is a big must have.

• Stayed May 2006
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Genesee, CO
Reviewed April 10, 2006

We stayed here only because it was the only room we could find when my BF had to attend a convention on last minute notice. Almost all the rooms were sold out in Las Vegas for the days of the convention. The few that were available were going for $400 plus, so this seemed like a good deal for $39 (through hotwire) a night during a busy convention week. We stayed Tuesday-Friday.

LOCATION
This is on Boulder Highway, far off the strip, and they do not have shuttle service to the strip. We had a car, so location wasn't that big of deal, but don't stay here unless you have a car. Boulder Station and Sam's Town are on either side (long walk or short drive).

CHECK-IN
We checked in about 11:30 AM. The clerk first told us they were completely booked, and all we could get was a double room, and no rooms were ready yet. We slipped her a $20 and she found a King/double smoking suite that was ready for check-in.

Note that the front of the hotel is under construction, so you need to go through the casino entrance and check in there.

ROOM
The room was barely adequate, but can't really complain for the price we got. First, the good. It was spacious. It was close to the pool, but looked out on the parking lot and the 7-11 next door, but was pretty quiet with little road noise. Fairly clean, with a stain here and there on the carpet. Also the windows open up, which is nice for fresh air and a breeze.

It had two rooms. A large front room with a double bed w/end table, sofa w/end table, coffee table, armoire with drawers, and small tv (reception was clear for us, but only 8 channels, no HBO, etc. you could order movies.) The second room was a bit tight with a King bed, a corner unit with another small tv, and a sink stand. It also had a large walk-in closet. I found the bed to be fairly hard, and the pillows were very uncomfortable.

The bathroom was tiny with a toilet, and a tub/shower combo. It was dingy and old with some mildew in the tile caulking. Shower pressure was ok, but not great. Shampoo and lotion for products.

Be aware that the rooms have no amenities except for an alarm clock. There is no hairdryer, iron, ironing board (although i guess you can request them, although they don't make this known, but i did see one housekeeper removing one from a room), coffee maker, fridge or microwave. There is only dial-up internet access, with a 75 cent per connection fee. Also, there was only one ice maker that I could find and it was at the opposite end of the complex, there was no ice maker near the pop machine at our end.

THE GROUNDS
The units all surround and open up to a courtyard. There is landscaping and paths to the casino, with a courtyard sitting area toward the casino end of the courtyard, a fountain in the middle area, and a pool area w/hot tub at the far end. There is always security around on bikes, so the grounds seemed safe.

We used the pool twice and it was very uncrowded considering the place was full. They have lots of deck chairs that you can use in the sun or in a shaded area they have. The hot tub wasn't very hot, but was ok. (I noticed the reviewer below said there was no pool, but I think she must have been in the wrong area of the courtyard, because there most definitely is a pool).

CASINO
We were in the unit farthest away from the Casino, but I didn't find the walk through the courtyard that long to get there; I have walked farther to get to the casino in large strip hotels. The casino was fairly small by las vegas standards. But gaming is cheap and it was never super crowded. Video Poker makes up the majority of the machines. There aren't that many tables, but I rarely saw them all full. We won some, and were up a couple hundred on our second day there, but managed to lose most of our gambling money by the end. Cocktail service was good and friendly. Lots of locals seemed to game here, and they were all friendly and fun.

RESTAURANTS
There is the Wild West Buffet, The Sourdough Cafe, The Yukon Grille Steakhouse, and a deli for sandwiches and fast-food type stuff. The prices for food are extremely reasonable, and friendly service.

We ate at the Sourdough Cafe for breakfast several times and a couple other meals. The ham and egg special for $2.79 is huge. They also had a steak and egg special for $2.99, the steak was a little tough, but had good flavor. My bf's favorite was the chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes he had one night for $4.99.

We also tried the Yukon Grille Steakhouse one night, it was reasonable, but underwhelming. I had the small filet medium rare, which was overcooked and tasteless, and my bf had prime rib, which he didn't enjoy at all (I have a feeling you could do the prime rib in the studio cafe for $7.99 and would get the same thing). Each entree was about $18. With a bottle of wine, salads, two entrees, and a shared dessert, the total was only $75, but I would rather spend more for really good steak.

Overall, I wouldn't stay here again unless circumstances required it. But if you are doing las vegas on a tight budget, it is not a bad value for your money.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business