“Pleasantly Surprised” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #187 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Woodbridge, VA
“Pleasantly Surprised”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2006

We found a room at AZ Charlies when it seemed every hotel was sold out in Las Vegas. It's a small "locals" casino and off the strip, but with a rental car it was really no problem getting around. Our room was average, but since we were expecting worse, it seemed great to us! Security checked our room keys before getting to the elevator and security on bikes patrolled the parking lot. We felt very safe and the stay was a good value, even with our 3 kids. Had really good breakfast the next morning at the cafe, definitely the least expensive meal of our entire trip as we left for Grand Canyon the next day and then on to the strip hotels.

• Stayed April 2006
20 Thank chka_8

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2006

My husband and I just returned from a four-night 5-day trip to Las Vegas. The first two nights we decided to stay at Arizona Charlie's Decatur. I was very nervous about staying there due to the previous reviews that I have read. I was pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed my stay. The deciding reason for booking was the price. Tripres had rates of $60 for Saturday stay and $24 for Sunday. The valet parking was great and the check in was hassle free. The room was large, the bathroom was a pretty good size and most of all they both were very clean. Housekeeping was better than I was expecting. The king size bed was actually very comfortable. The TV seemed to be quite new but only could get about 5 stations. I read comments of the walls being so thin that you could hear the people in the room next to you. We did not have that problem. The hotel staff was always friendly and helpful. The casino is small but the dealers and pit staff were wonderful. Ate at the buffet and the café and the food was quite good and very reasonably priced.
We have stayed at AZ on Boulder Hwy before but prefer the Decatur location due to the hotel is connected to the casino. In my opinion this is a great place for the Las Vegas traveler that has a car, has visited many times and is not worried about staying on or very near the strip. I will recommend AZD and we will definitely stay there in the future.

• Stayed January 2006
16 Thank Trinity68
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2005

We stayed at Arizona Charlie's for two nights and the only problem we had was with the TV remote. Not a "real" problem though, because we aren't big on watching TV anyway. Our room was clean and very large for a standard room! I read a lot of reviews of a lot of different hotels and I found "some" people will complain no matter where they stay. I even read one review that stated the Hilton was a dump! Okay, I guess you can't please all the people all of the time. I guess the quality of a room depends on what you're looking for. We were looking for a clean room, good value, and the standard basics of a good hotel with a restaurant. Arizona Charlie's exceeded what we were looking for!

We had our own car so location wasn't a factor for us. Since we were in Las Vegas for an event at the Silverton (they were full for the nights we were in Vegas) we were doomed to drive no matter where we stayed. We were a short hop from the freeway so getting to the Silverton was a breeze. The strip was busy whether we came from the direction of the Silverton or the direction of Arizona Charlie's. The fact is, Vegas is a busy place and driving down the strip is going to take a while. Relax and enjoy the view!

I didn't see any "tar" hanging off the vents in our room or in the casino, and I looked because of a couple of reviews I read. It would appear they cleaned that up. I agree that the food was excellent! For breakfast we had steak and eggs, cooked to perfection and it only cost 2.99! It was far more food then I could finish! My husband signed up for their club card while I was playing a slot machine. He came over and put his card in my machine and we ended up getting a free buffet (reaching 50 points on the card) from the dollar I put in the slot machine!

While we ate at the buffet we played Keno because the fortune cookie I got had some "lucky numbers" printed on the message inside. It won enough to pay for our Keno playing while eating! lol. All in all, the buffet food was pretty good. Naturally, the best part of a buffet is that you can always get something else to eat if you don't like your first pick. For me, the Prime Rib was undercooked, but that's just my own taste. My own fault for not paying attention.

Parking was GREAT! We got lucky everytime we parked at the hotel and got a space near the door. There is parking on both sides of the hotel/casino so we opted for the side nearest our room. I wonder if others are aware of BOTH parking lots? It could make a difference between writing a good or bad review about walking distance to their room.

We didn't have any problems with the heating unit in our room, the hot water, toilet or noise from another room. The staff was friendly and always seemed to be very happy! We only paid $21.00 per night for the room, so what more could we ask for???!!! I will be staying there again!

• Stayed December 2005, traveled on business
16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Belfast
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2005

Stayed here with a tour group - had to suffer a fire alert with the entire group of school kids being evacuated at 12am- no-one else left the building. It was only by chance that I caught a member of staff who stated that it was the fog machine that had set off the alert otherwise the kids would still be waiting in the car park. Then one group had locked themselves out in their efforts to escape the 'burning building.' Staff at reception were NOT helpful in sending someone to open their door, but insisted that one of our party got dressed, marched through the casino and waited in line to get a new key. Altogher an unsavoury experience. Breakfast on the upside was excellent - especially the customised omelettes!

• Stayed July 2005
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
13 Thank MCCBelfast

Travelers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2005

So you want somewhere to stay where you don't need to fork over $100 a night and pay $10 to $20 per meal, then this is the place to go. Not only are the prices very low, but the food was quite good and the room was better than expected. The non smoking area was great and the smell was no where near our room. I've stayed at other Las Vegas hotels and casino, some more expensive, some around the same price, and this one had great value for the money. I am staying there again because I have an extended trip and because I can save the extra $100 a night on the room to spend out on the town of sin city. Besides, most of the action happens outside the hotel room.

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business