“Great for the Money”

Ranked #185 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Boise, Idaho
“Great for the Money”
Reviewed March 28, 2009

I'm so tired of hearing people put this hotel down. stayed at Charlie's more than 20 times in the past 10 years, and in addition to it being a great bargain, it's clean, the machine's winning percentage is great, and the employees are friendly. This is a "locals" casino, unlike the strip hotel/casinos. That means it has to be better than the others to stay in business.

There is free transportation to the Strip and Downtown casinos all day, every day, so you're not stuck in the suburbs.

I read comments about the local casinos being "dangerous", with strange people hanging around. You think the strip and downtown hotels are safer? You'd be wrong. Charlie's has some of the best trained security officers out there. I know. I worked with them.

Yes, it's smoky. ALL the casinos are smoky. The table minimums are cheaper so EVERYONE can play, the food is good and reasonably priced so EVERYONE can eat.

I was a local in Vegas for 12 years. Charlie's on Decatur was my favorite, and I tried ALL of the casinos, to include Strip, Downtown, and other local casinos.

If you want a good casino at a reasonable price, with clean rooms, friendly staff, and great odds, Arizona Charlies on Decatur is the best bet.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank janperrott

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Long Beach, California
Reviewed March 15, 2009

Just returned from a little get away weekend with hubby. It was my idea to stay at this hotel because I love the 24 hour bingo and the Soudough restaurant. The rooms were decent for the price (68.00 including tax) - they weren't very tidy in terms of a noticable hole in the spread on the bed, recent crazy clue spills on the counter in the bathroom and on the nite stands and ( VERY ODD), A LARGE CARMEL STICKY STUFF ON THE WALLS BEHIND THE BED. Decent fridge in the room with the exception it was a little untidy inside. Major issue we had after checking in our rooms and then going down for a couple rounds of bingo and keno - we were locked out of our rooms! Yeah what a major issue since you have to show your room key to get pass security ( great security issue), and then to get back to the room and can't get in but have to go ALL the way back down to registration was a pain in the [-] ( not arizona)! Um.... then our clothes smelled like walking cigarettes. As soon as we got in the house we dropped everything and washed our clothes we had on and those in the suit case. I could barely handle the 3 hour drive back to Los Angeles. Nevertheless, we had a very good time. The bingo is great and pays well for the price. We saw the Temptations at the Orleans( down on decatur left on Flamingo (?). What a great show $55.00 all seats were great. The Sourdough restaurant was very clean and I felt comfortable eating there. Overall a decent stay just would not go back there to stay. YOU PAY FOR WHAT YOU GET. I am not one of those people that complain about my stay and or room and my house look like she-it. Not us!!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sabi

Travelers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

San Diego
Reviewed January 8, 2009

We didn't stay there, but our family did go eat in their restaurant. They advertise one price on a big sign in front of the restaurant at the top of escalator, then there is another sign that you can't see without looking for it with a much higher price. Of course I went to the cashier and signed my credit card receipt w/o looking at the total, just assuming that I was paying the price on the very obvious sign. Later on I glanced at the receipt and wondered why I paid almost twice as much. I was then pointed to a difficult to read, handwritten sign stating the "Sunday" price shown in small print. This was an obvious bait and switch. The food was OK, but the switch on the price was desperate and the workers and "managers" were rude. Save your time. Save your money. When businesses have to resort to these kinds of tactics to get your business, they are just insulting you and taking advantage of you. There are better places to go where establishments will be honest and you won't have to get sucked in to a bait and switch.

• Liked — I didn't.
  • Disliked — Rude management.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank margie619
Alberta
Reviewed April 16, 2008

Large room. Clean, comfortable, quiet. The only amenity was free parking--it's Vegas so what do you expect? When it advertised internet access I mistakenly thought that meant wireless. No. You have to unplug your room phone, plug in the phone cord to your laptop and dial up to your internet provider. What? Who has dial up internet anymore?! Luckily, just down the street is a McDonald's and a Starbuck's who each offer (for a nominal fee) wireless internet access.
I didn't find the front desk staff friendly, but the housekeeping staff were always very friendly and nice.
The bed was comfortable. Linens and towels were of mid-range quality.
I was just stopping over in Vegas (not staying to gamble) so I can't comment on the in-house casino, but this hotel did advertise a shuttle to the Strip every 20 minutes.
I heard other guests comments positively on the in-house buffet, but I didn't try it. There's also a Subway in the casino too.

• Stayed March 2006
2 Thank Quito7
dayton, ohio
Reviewed March 29, 2008

Arizona Charlie's was recommended by my uncle and my mom as this was my first Vegas trip.

Room - basic stuff, TV, alarm clock, iron, and ironing board. 2 Queen sized beds.

Check in/out - nice and easy. Staff was very helpfull

Gambling - slots way tight

Food - don't eat the buffett, eat at the Sourdough Cafe instead.

Location - way off strip. Cab fares will be a problem

This place is located about 4 miles from the strip, so the cab fares will be a problem. $15 to downtown and the top of the strip (each way). No shuttle service. $30 to the airport.

Mainly a locals place, you will need to watch out for the seasond citizens (seniors) when/if you go to the buffett. Food at the buffett was cold. I had a breakfast and a dinner there and both were very bad.

The Sourdough Cafe was not bad. $3.29 for breakfast (ham, 2 eggs, and hashbrowns). Dinners were also ok.

For the price its a ok place to go. However, there are better values out there to be had.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — The location
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank chefantwon
vancouver
Reviewed February 17, 2008

The price seemed good, and the location was close to friends. Where it went wrong, well, when we walked into our nonsmoking room, it reeked of smoke. No problem, get a new room. The new room featured the world's noisiest bathroom fan, which was attached to the light switch. No noise meant no light. The next day, the fan blade flew off the fan, and shot into my shaving kit. I pushed the bed against the headboard, only to find a pile of sunflower seeds on the floor.

And finally, on the last day, we noticed a bunch of red stains on the lamp shade by the tv. We're hoping it was fruit juice.

Apparently Arizona Charlie's bought the property a year and a half ago. Too bad they haven't put much money into the joint.

• Liked — none
  • Disliked — just about everything
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank btyvr
Ludington Mi.
Reviewed August 23, 2007

Biggest complaint we had about our stay here was no cab service to the strip! Casino and hotel were far from the strip,so naturally cabs don't want to waste time coming this far out for fares. We used the lobby phone to request a cab and waited in the heat for an hour before the first cab showed up. But it belonged to someone who had been waiting even longer!!

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — To far from the action
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family