“Glitzy and Casual”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Northern NJ
“Glitzy and Casual”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2007

I'm a Wynn fanatic. I love it there. Before Wynn, I used to stay at Aladdin. It was casual and easy to get comped bc it's a...well it's not a Whale hangout. The host called and invited us to check out the new digs, so we went out for a few days. THe new decor is def nicer. I LOVE the cascades of crystals all over the casino. THey need to work on the food offerings. The buffet is good but I dont know why it's rated the best in Vegas. It's not. The location is convenient and the atmosphere is still casual. When the construction is complete, it should be a great, affordable place to stay in Vegas. Oh...the hosebags they have dancing in the bar in the center of the casino are anorexic looking. THat's not a compliment. What is with the people who do the hiring? Do we really want women to all look like they're about to die? They should change that and I'd be happier.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Sweetpatoot

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,985)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2007

I used Starwood points for 2 nights at the Planet Hollywood. I am a Gold Member so they upgraded me to a larger room that had a partial view of the Bellagio fountains.

It is a great location across from the Paris and Bellagio. It is being renovated currently. Our room was not renovated yet. I liked the size but the carpet, furnishings and TV were dated.

The casino has been renovated and it is nice. The pool has not been renovated and needs work. There is little shade and basically just a big rectangle.

Tallahassee, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2007

My boyfriend and I went to Vegas to celebrate his birthday 8/20-8/23. I was a little bit hesitant to book this hotel because of the mixed reviews I'd read but I got a great deal at only $50/ night with some promotion and honestly i couldn't have gotten a better deal than that. So I went ahead and booked it and I'm so glad I did!
We had a fantastic time! Our room was upgraded for free when we arrived and although it wasn't one of the newly renovated rooms, it was large, comfortable and always clean. We learned the hard way that you have to put the do not disturb sign on the door before you go to sleep, the maids came around 8 am and we are not morning people. The construction wasn't a problem at all, we only noticed it outside but the whole strip is covered with ongoing construction... our hotel was the least of it.

The casino was very nice and open so it wasn't smokey like a lot
of the older hotels. PF Changs is awesome- you have to go there and order their lettuce wraps... phenomenal. Planet Dailies had really great food but was expensive for what you get.
The timeshare people are everywhere but when they asked us if we were married and we said no, they didn't bother us again.

Checking in and out was very easy and everyone was very nice but trying to get a cab was a hassle getting back to the airport. Hint: don't wait until check-out time to go to the airport... there weren't any cabs at all. One of the staff from the hotel called a limo and about ten of us took a stretch Hummer to the airport for 7 bucks a piece. Beats a cab any day.

All in all very accomodating, clean, fantastic location... I'll definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Great location, Tons of ammenities
  • Disliked — pool's not much to look at
1 Thank AshleyBlair
England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2007

We decided to spend a few days of our recent trip to Las Vegas at Planet Hollywood and check out the changes being made there. Reception and casino areas are looking good and very 'bling' - as you would expect from Hollywood. As Starwood Gold Perfered guests we were given a lovely upgrade to a resort suite - great views from here. The room was still in the old Aladdin style but with a couple of pictures of Hollywood movie stars and a pair of shoes worn by SJP in a movie to try to help update but large, clean and very comfortable.
We had just one moan - Starbucks was closed for renovation!!! And one HUGE gripe - PARKING! If you valet park the line of cars waiting was so long that you might just as well walk from the Strip and if you self parked the only entrance into the hotel/casino was in the very centre of the Miracle Mile shops! The walk from here is far too long even with some lovely shops to look at. If you don't valet park it must be a nightmare if you have travel bags etc. and once in the casino you then have to cross right through and go down a floor to reach check-in!
Apart from this really dreadful design error you will have a good stay at this hotel and with P F Changs right in the casino - good food too (although their reception staff can be a bit grumpy!).

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Car park location
3 Thank NensaNotts
Lovettsville, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2007

This was a nice weekend getaway and my first time at Planet Hollywood. There still some construction going on but it did not interfere with the gaming at all. The main interference was that Starbucks was closed while there.
Check in was a breeze, especially if you are a Starwood gold member. The front desk personal was very friendly and also informed me that since I was a gold member, I could have a late, 4PM checkout if I wanted. I checked out at 2PM.
I had a resort room that was big with a large bathroom. The bathroom had 2 sets of sinks with a walk in shower and large soaking tub. The bathroom and room in general was a bit worn and still had an Arabian motif to it as did the hallway. The room was very clean and bed nice and comfortable. My rate included 2 free buffets at the Spice Market Buffet. I have been to a few other buffets in Vegas and this is the best and the servers are quite friendly.

• Liked — Spice Market Buffet
  • Disliked — Expensive Internet rates of $12.99 a day
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank MTCSS
Champaign, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2007

Planet Hollywood was a great place for us to stay over Labor Day Weekend. We had good rates through a promotion and were even upgraded to a Jr. Suite, which was large with a separate bedroom, office area, and large bathroom. The bathroom was probably as large as the bedroom. Our room had not been renovated but was still very nice. The beds are very comfortable. It was easy to get from the room to the casino. The casino played great music and had $10 tables. We would definetely stay here again.

Pacifica, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2007

Just got back from a 4 day trip from Vegas. Stayed at PH had a huge lower floor room. The first day is always fun and exciting, but that quickly wore off. Anyway here are my Pros and Cons.

Pros: Hotel staff, dealers in every casino we went in, and all restaurant personel were very nice. Great big quiet room. Out of about 10 cab rides 8 of the 10 were great. No hassles or problems at the airport.

Cons: When is this city going to slow down it's growth? As a lay person it appears the infrascture is going to need major improvement! The strip is already jampacked with cars and people walking. For me it was just way too crowded and not comfortable. The prices they charge are ridiculous but expected. Noise! Everywhere you went inside and outside there was loud music! The only quiet place we had was in or room.

It's a young person town, I can see the fun in that. Maybe I am just a "go to the country type of guy".