“The big bang”

Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino
Ranked #62 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Before heading home we closed our Vegas vacation by staying at Planet Hollywood resort & casino. We stayed the night before the Mayweather fight and the strip was alive with action! Our room was clean and cozy but a bit on the small side. I forgive that however for being upgraded to a strip view room right above the Bellagio Fountains! All the PH rooms are themed after block buster movies and ours was one of our favorites "Shawshank Redemption". The furniture had quite a few bumps and scraps but the beds were very lush and the bathtub was wonderful! We enjoyed our time at the casino and we have eaten at the Spice Market Buffet twice now and both times the food was fresh and plentiful. I will be reviewing our time there this trip soon!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Parking: Oh my goodness, I still don't know where we were supposed to park. My advice to anyone who stays at this hotel, please use their hotel valet. This was our first time staying here so we parked in the casino/mile shops parking lot. We had to walk a mile just to get to the hotel lobby. If you park in that parking lot then you have to walk through the miracle mile shops, go through the casino, find this big giant purple ceiling crystal ball and walk down the escalators in order to get to the hotel lobby. The people that work there also do not know how to properly give directions. We asked two people and basically they just pointed to a direction and said "that way". One of them was a bit rude about it too.

Check-in: So we finally made it to the hotel lobby and luckily there was no lines so we were able to check-in very quickly. The man was really nice. He didn't take out an incidental deposit from my card because we arrived at around 8 pm and we were only staying one night so we weren't going to use anything.

Room: Ok, so we were given an accessible room because I guess they didn't have any standard ones. The room itself was horrible. It looked so small and empty of furniture. Maybe it's just the accessible rooms but it just looked so awful. The bed was comfortable, the pillows were not. The room has no closet, except for this little small one that's connected to the tv furniture. The tv remote did not work in the room but luckily there was a way to turn it on/change channels without it. I did love the view of this room though. It kind of made up for the room itself. We could see the Bellagio fountains, the paris Eiffel tower and balloon. Oh and the room floor was out of ice that night.

Casino: It has a good sized casino but not a lot of blackjack tables. I did end up winning 50 bucks on a machine. I really like that there's lots of options of places to go eat here. There's lots of restaurants to choose from. You can't get a better location than this though. It's right in the center of the strip. We walked around to cosmo, Bellagio, ceasars palace, ballys, and paris.

Overall, the location is great. If you're in vegas just to party then this is good hotel to stay at. It has a young vibe to it. I'd stay here again but maybe book a better room if I find a deal on it.

Room Tip: Ask for view of fountains
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LBtravel32
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Stayed here for four nights with my boyfriend. We got a deluxe room on the 20th floor( non smoking floor room 2081).
Had an amazing view of bellagio fountains and 'Eiffel tower'. The room was tidy furniture was a bit worn and not at all a high standard of clean this good be really improved.
The bed was huge and had a large tv along with a complimentary safe.
We did not get asked to pay the resort fee which I was delighted with however I thought 13.99 a day for one device for wifi was ridiculous all the other hotels offer free wifi.
This is very much a party hotel but we did not get too much noise on our floor this may have been as it was the non smoking floor.
Shopped a lot in the miracle mile also got a tattoo done in club tattoo in miracle mile check this place out all the artists are so helpful and nice.
If you decide to eat it the hotel planet dallies is way over priced for the food we stopped in here our first night and our food took so long and ended up being like cheeseburger you would get in any fast food place but cost $20. Rip off! Didn't return.
We much preferred the Italian restaurant in the miracle mile I can't remember the name but It is across from the showgirl bar (you will know it when you see it big pole dancer outside).
Overall our stay was ok didn't have much interaction with staff apart from check in we used our tv to do an express checkout.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 19, 2013

It was my first experience in a mega suite in Vegas. They upgraded me upon check in to the Boulevard Suite and wow, it was really over the top. The room is huge with the big double door entrance. It had multiple couches, several TV's, 2 bathrooms, an air hockey table, separate king bedroom, and a groovy themed feel from the 60's or 70's. Really nice room and Planet Hollywood is a fun casino with a little bit younger crowd it seemed. Very affordable compared to the other mega hotels too., only $80 a night in that huge suite. I was very happy.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank DallasRdWarrior
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We stayed at the Planet Hollywood hotel for one night in early September as we were meeting a group of friends there and it was for a great price. Keep in mind that check in is at 3pm and there is quite a long line to wait in unless you are a member. It also seems that they will charge you for early check in, and upon inquiring they would charge us for a full night if we wanted to do late check out.

The room is quite big. We had a King bed and a lot of room for all of our luggage to be comfortable. The bathroom is large too but has a small shower, which seems silly considering how much empty space there is to accommodate a larger shower. There was MOLD all over the shower and the walls, I have attached pictures. It was pretty gross but since we were only staying for one night we didnt ask for a room change.

The casino isnt huge but it has everything that you may be looking for. Service is rather quick anywhere you sit.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravelGal418
Reviewed September 19, 2013

This review is based on a 3-night stay in mid-September 2013.

Pros:
* Best night's sleep in a hotel bed in recent memory. The mattress and pillows had me sleeping soundly.
* Large room and almost an equally large bathroom.
* The prime rib special at Planet Dailies was cheap and decent--I thought the days of relatively cheap eats in Vegas were over.
* A discount for the buffet made for a decent breakfast one morning--the food was "ok", but the table service was lacking.

Cons:
* The room decor was feeling dated especially due to the damaged appearance of the furniture (lots of nicks, dents, and scratches in the dark-stained wood furniture).
* Cleanliness of the room was questionable as there were multiple sticky surfaces, perhaps due to spilled drinks.
* No coffee maker in the rooms means increased business for the 2 Starbucks in the casino and also long lines in the morning for a simple cup of coffee.
* Cocktail waitresses seemed few and far between.

Details:
Overall, I had what I would consider an average stay at a casino. Check-in took a bit of time as there were a lot of people waiting to check in/out of the hotel. There were not separate lines for checking in/out, so perhaps that is what was making the line long. It felt like an amusement park line as the ropes created a maze for people to follow. The hotel offers quick check out through the television, so that makes for not having to deal with lines when departing.

The hotel room served its purpose (the great night's sleep is the redeeming factor of this trip), but I wasn't really wowed by the accommodations especially with the seeming lack of upkeep with the furniture. Several light bulbs in the room weren't working, the furniture was obviously abused, and while the bathroom was outrageously big with both a shower stall and large soaking tub, the fixtures looked dirty and/or slightly rusted or caked with mineral deposits.

I believe the biggest disappointment came in the lack of service in several areas. It was unusually difficult to find cocktail waitresses while playing the slots in the casino. The first day playing, we ended up buying an overpriced drink ($12/drink) at the bar after waiting about 40 minutes for a cocktail waitress to come by. Throughout the stay, machine-side service was spotty and we found this to not be the case at other casinos, so for the majority of our stay we opted to play away from Planet Hollywood. Also, for the one meal we ate at the buffet, our table waitress forgot to bring drink refills and almost seemed put off that we asked for a spoon for our coffee. Since we got the meal at a discount from a coupon offered by the front desk, we didn't take too much issue to the buffet service but decided not to try it again.

The other questionable area of service came to the cleanliness of the restrooms on the casino level. I understand with so many people using the facilities throughout the day/night that it may be difficult to keep restrooms tidy, but it seemed odd that they would feel dirty during the off times in the morning.

I enjoyed several meals at Planet Dailies where I felt the prices were reasonable and the service was a bit better. For my morning coffee fix, I went to the Starbucks at the casino level (since it is open 24 hours--the lobby level Starbucks opens at 7:00 AM). Prices are noticeably higher than at stand-alone Starbucks stores, and the lines get long around 7:30-8:00 AM.

I wouldn't say that Planet Hollywood is a bad option for staying on the strip as the location makes it easy to get to other casinos in the vicinity and the adjoining mall offers an opportunity to window shop and walk around in air conditioning, however, I had hoped for a slightly cleaner room and better service while staying here. If the price was right, I'd stay again but with better knowledge of what to expect.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 19, 2013

The hotel in general was very good, and its a great location on the strip. Easy to get to all the other casinos and nightlife.

We had a room on the lower floor looking on to the pool area. This was quite large and even had a dressing room in addition to large bedroom and bathroom.

The only thing which really lets the hotel down is the pool area. You enter into a pit area which is just rows upon rows of sunloungers. To get to the pools, you need to climb up to the balcony area. The only seating near the pool (or with visibility of the pool) are the cabanas which even if available are very expensive. There are significantly better pool areas in other strip resorts. I probably won't be returning to the PH anytime soon.

Room Tip: Go for a high room to try and get a view of the strip. Anything above floor 8!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends