“Smoky & Tired”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Santa Monica, California
“Smoky & Tired”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I stayed at Planet Hollywood as there was a pretty good deal on and I knew the location was great. Unfortunately that's all that I found to be great about staying there.

I booked a non-smoking room and was on a non-smoking floor but it still smelt of smoke. The bathroom smelt like someone was actually smoking in there (assuming this is a vent issue) and it was really off-putting.

The rooms are clean and large but quite dated and tired now. My room key card failed to work at least once a day, no matter where I stored it and one of the elevators didn't work to get to the 20th floor and was not fixed, despite me reporting the fault.

Half the concierge staff seemed to either hate their job, life or both... not sure but I recommend using the wifi including in your resort fee to find the information out yourself.

The good things about it - location is excellent - and the Earl of Sandwich is in there.

I wouldn't choose to stay here again but it's also not the worst you can find in the area... I just think there are better options and that's where you'll find me!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,281)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We go to Vegas every year and like to try different hotels each time. This year we choose Planet Hollywood. I was little hesitant after reading all the negative reviews. We found the place great, good service, clean rooms, clean hotel in general. We had a problem with the drain in our shower; the hotel sent someone up right away to correct the problem.
We ate a few times at the Daily Planet for breakfast and lunch, the service and food was good.
The pool area was nice, although some of the chairs were in poor condition. I find the issue with reserving a paying for the cabana annoying…but that is Vegas.
I read many subjects on the resort fee, we were not charged and not even offered the resort fee. The Wifi is free in the daily planet and Starbucks.
Overall great stay. Exhausted and Happy!

Room Tip: We were In the North Tower, room 1593, nice view of the Bellagio water show.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dumont
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Had a great time! We got a free upgrade when they found out it was birthday so that was awesome! It's right in the middle of the strip! Great location!! Every staff member we came across greeted us and asked us about our day! Great service!! Thanks!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kolette K
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Worst hotel ever. When we first got into our room I sat on our bed and it was broken. There is no sun at the pools till after 10:30 and all the chairs are broken along with cracked tables. It you want a day bed it is $100.00 dollars a day. Totally not worth it since the day beds are all stained. I woke up with bite marks that look like bed bugs. I told the front desk and they sent security up so we could file a report. I asked the lady if bed bugs had been found in the hotel and she told me not to her knowledge. Found out that they had bed bugs in July 2013. Worst hotel visit ever!!!!

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Babiface77
Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed August 20, 2013

My girlfriends and I stayed at this hotel a few years back and had a great time, so decided to book here again in 2013. Unfortunately they have literally done nothing to keep the hotel up in the meantime. Everything is in need of an upgrade - rooms, bathrooms, pool area, and especially elevators - there was a constant mob of people trying to get upstairs as it always seemed like only one was working.

There is always a huge line up at check in and it takes forever, no matter what day you arrive on (we left Vegas on a Monday at 11am and there was still a massive line).

As mentioned, elevators seem to be 90% dysfunctional.

On the website they advertise 'ipod docks in every room'... secretly they are just clock radios (and terrible ones at that), and you have to specifically request a cord to attach to your ipod to play tinny-sounding music.

You can only have wi-fi access IF you pay $15 per day PER device! What a rip off. Not to mention it's sneaky the way they describe it... it almost sounds like that fee is already included, when it actually just gets added to your bill.

The only redeeming factors are that PH is in an awesome location on the strip, and the rooms are clean and big, which is good for girls getting ready. I would NOT stay here again.

Room Tip: If you plan to sleep in, try to get a room on the opposite side from the pool as they play really lo...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank CTB403
Toms River, NJ
Reviewed August 20, 2013

This hotel/casino is in the middle of the strip action. The location is the best part. The casino was ok. The pole dancers were interesting in the casino.
The rooms were dark but nice. Large bathrooms are a plus. I have been here twice due to a conference and I was not disappointed. I am not a huge fan of the celebrity lifestyle, so I probably would have not chosen this hotel for a vacation.
My only issue was that there was a HUGE picture of a shirtless Lorenzo Lamas that seemed to be staring at me while I was in the shower! Kind of freaked me out.

Room Tip: Ask for a strip view!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 19, 2013

This place was filthy. On a daily basis the hallways were filthy, the rooms weren't very clean and the bathroom was filthy. I will probably never return to this hotel to stay. On the other hand the casino, staff and food was excellent.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends