“Loved th e Aladdin”

Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino
Ranked #63 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 9, 2003

Took my family to the Aladdin in April. Before going, I had read some not so good reviews about the staff and the rooms. I found nothing bad to say about anything. The people at the front desk were very friendly, the room was beautiful as was the view. The pool was pretty but still to cold to swim. My favorite part was the Spice Market Buffet. Have been to most all the buffets on the strip and I have to say this one was a little pricey BUT the best !(better than the Belleigo). The only complaint I have (and this seems to be the case for all the big hotels) are the high limits on the tables in the Casino. You would think that they would keep some tables at $5.00 limits for people who dont play high limits and have a handful of cash. I would recommend this hotel in a heart beat.

2  Thank Tina J
Write a ReviewReviews (21,586)

Reviewed June 5, 2003

My husband and I have been to Las Vegas approximately 12 times. This was a very short trip, May 27 until May 30. We had stayed at Bally's last October and had wandered over to Aladdin and liked the casino - it was airy and roomy, and people were having a good time there. We enjoyed the Desert Passage shops, too. We arrived at Aladdin after midnight, and our check-in was a breeze. Unfortunately, there were no non-smoking rooms available, but the room we had did not have any smoke odor. However, being a smoking floor, we did catch a few wafts of smoke through the ventilation during the night. So the next morning we requested a non-smoking room, facing the Strip. We were told to check back at 1 p.m. When we did - they had a room reserved for us on the 37th floor with a fantastic view of the Strip. We liked the hotel room and the roomy bathroom. The weather was very hot, approx 105 degrees, so we spent most of our time inside. We took a cab downtown for a few hours and had fun wandering around the various casinos, playing a bit here and there. Our tradition is to go to the Golden Gate for shrimp cocktails and a glass of beer, and we played the slot machines for a while. It's a real "old Las Vegas" kind of experience and everyone should do it once. We like the restaurants at the Aladdin. Upon our late night arrival, we enjoyed a "snack" of assorted appetizers at Zanzibar Cafe - it was the perfect thing to energize us for some late night gambling! We enjoyed sipping coffee with pastries at Starbucks in the morning. Lunch at P F Chang is fun and the food is very good, as well as the service. We had lunch one day at the Spice Market Buffet and it was very, very good. We've been to a lot of the restaurants and buffets in Las Vegas, and this is one of the best buffets. All of the individual food items were attractive and tasty in their own way, with a lovely presentation by country, i.e. Italian, American, Mexican, "Jewels of the Sea", etc. Our airplane trip home was scheduled for problem and we easily got a cab ride to the airport for our trip home. We love spending relaxing time in Las Vegas and are already planning the next trip. This was our shortest trip, and we will never make it this short again!

9  Thank AVagabond
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed June 1, 2003

We knew we were in trouble when our tour-bus dropped us off a block away from the underground entrance in the unbearably hot underground parkade. It just kept getting worse from there.We were told by the front desk that there were no non-smoking rooms available, and if we wanted one, we'd have to pay for an upgraded room. This seems to be a standard line they give for all tour packages. The hotel lobby staff were unfriendly, couldn't answer our questions throughout the weekend, and were not the least bit interested in helping us whatsoever. They are clearly not trained in customer service, communication skills, and in knowing their resort.The room was mediocre, with a couch missing, no computer CPU (but a keyboard and screen), a phone that didn't work, and low lighting in the bathroom. The view of the Bellagio was its only redeeming feature. Don't expect any frills.The casino was loud, garish, smoky, and showing signs of wear and tear. The lounge upstairs had the most depressing decor of standard black pub tables and vinyl chairs. Overall, the decor was tacky and not in a good way. We toured other hotels, and this casino rates as the ugliest and smelliest.The Italian restaurant had reasonably tasty food, but the hostesses were rude. We had reservations for the patio, but after they repeatedly and defensively said that they a. had no tables available on the patio, and b. that our reservation must have been a mistake, we asked to speak to the manager. Not only were several tables available on the patio, but they sat empty the whole time we were there. They were never cleared of their dirty linen and dishes.The pool was also a disappointment. There was lots of hot concrete and little atmosphere. The poolside bar was inside a building with a small fast-food grill and patio tables. I don't know why the patio tables weren't OUTSIDE.On a positive note, the location of the hotel was central. However, it lacked the convenience of overhead walkways to the neighbouring hotels which is a major feature of mostgain. It is as expensive as the other more attractive, friendly, bright, and classy hotels. I hear they are in bankruptcy. Well, no wonder.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
England
Reviewed May 31, 2003

I wasent staying at the Aladdin, but was recommended to go for the buffet lunch, it was well worth the effort, i went 3 times. wasent over priced, and the selection was fantastic, everything anyone could have wanted, was there for the taking, i only wished i had had a larger appetite or could have taken a doggy bag haha.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed May 29, 2003

My friends and I stayed at the Aladdin about 6 months after it "opened". Some things weren't open, construction was everywhere, and I can understand that; even though we weren't told this and weren't given a better rate. What I couldn't understand was the staff. We had problem after problem with various things. The staff was new, I get that, but not one person seemed to care at all that we were jsut trying to get what we paid for. The worst offense was when the cocktail waitress at the pool kicked my camera in the pool. (First, since we were a group of women we were totally ignored all day). After my camera was doing the backstroke the waitress looked at me, finally, and said "oh I didn't see it" and walked away. Getting the money to replace my camera took about 4 hours, since a)no one really cared, and b) no one knew what they were doing. So I spent my birthday being send from the front desk to the security desk to the manager. I would hope things have improved including the attitudes of the staff, but I'll never stay there again.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
marietta, ga
Reviewed May 28, 2003

if you like moths you will like the aladdin. we must have killed 30 moths during our 5 day stay(in our room) and yet the housekeeping never seemed to be able to suck them up in their vacuum cleaner, not once, geez what would the odds be on that? Enjoyed the Blues Brothers but at this point in time the aladdin is an amateur player on the strip compared anyone else there.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dallas, Tx
Reviewed May 25, 2003

Just spent 3 nights at aladdin, and was perfectly satisfied. Pleasant staff, great value

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member