“Always "D" lightful :)”

Ranked #94 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
Calgary, Canada
“Always "D" lightful :)”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

There are good and bad things about the D yet my wife and I stay there every time we visit Las Vegas, which is usually 1-2 times per year. I will make my review convenient by listing the good and bad, starting with the negatives (don't always see these as bad, because it may be more to your liking, and be sure to see the positives below!).

Negatives:
1. The bathrooms could use better maintanence: sometimes we find that the sink and/or tub is in need of fixing i.e. chipped, cracked, broken or just looks in dissarray.
2. Sometimes we found that the tub does not drain quickly while showering and we have water over our ankles ... kind of gross.
3. As we are smokers (so yes this is our own problem), but on smoking "floors" the stench of pot was quite overwhelming to say the least every night of our 5 night stay there.
4. I feel that I am getting old and find that it is very loud on the main level, keep in mind that along Fremont, this is the "party" hotel.
5. The "Marriage can be murder" show is no longer part of the "comps" provided at the D which is too bad because it is a good show (the show is still located at the hotel but you'll have to pay to go if you're not a gambler).

THE POSITIVES:
1. Convenience! Located in the heart of Fremont (at the beginning of the Fremont Experience), across the street from Walgreen's, and one block away from the RCT (Las Vegas transit) to take you to the Strip and/or to the North Premium Outlet. This hotel is in the hub of everything that you want! There is also a free concert stage right outside the door (one of three) on Fremont.
2. Price! I have stayed on the Strip numerous times and nothing beats the hotel prices on Fremont, at an average of $30-50 per night (plus the new Resort Fee of $20), it is the best pricing around Vegas for fun. Note: if you are a "D" Player Club member (free), then you don't pay the $20 Resort Fee!
3. Customer Service! Because you are not located on the Strip, the customer service is actually better ... why you say? This is because it's the "old" Vegas and smaller so they try harder to keep you there and happy ... I know I am.
4. Comps! Probably because of the $ I drop when I am there, I get rooms, food, show tickets (at the D), credit to use at their gift shop, cash back, and also play money for when I get there ... how can you go wrong being a Player Club Member?!?
5. Food. There is an upscale steak restaurant, the D Grill (open until 10pm), Coney Island hotdogs, and a McDonalds. Enough places inside to please most people.
6. Drinks. If you play, you drink free. This goes without saying so drop some fun money into a game and have a drink or a few and please don't be cheap and tip the waitresses! Careful ordering a "long-pour" Haha, it's about a 2-3 shot pour.

I can probably keep going but will save it for questions or my next visit. Enjoy!

Room Tip: If you think you will be in bed before 1am then choose a room that does not face the Fremont Experie...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Greg C
Sarah C, Manager at The D Casino Hotel Las Vegas, responded to this review, May 3, 2014
Thank you for the review and we're glad to be one of your favorite spots in Vegas! We appreciate you sharing your concerns from your recent visits and we will be taking them into consideration. It's great to hear our customer service is one of the reasons you continue to return time after time, as we strive to provide excellent customer service to our guests. We're looking forward to your next visit!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (730)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Richmond, VA
Reviewed April 21, 2014

My wife and I have been coming to Las Vegas for many years, generally staying on the strip. We decided this trip to see if we could find a hotel to stay in downtown. The D's was our first choice. The room prices were quoted as $20, but an additional $20 "resort fee" per night would be added to the bill. Check in was very smooth, until we were handed the letter notifying us the water in several floors (including the floor our room was on) would be cut off from about midnight to 9:00am. My wife asked how long this condition would exist, and we were told it would be one night only. Well, it was actually TWO nights. Very inconvenient when you're on East Coast time, since we could not shower or use the toilet.

The resort fee was dutifully charged each night. When I inquired as to what it covered, I never could get a straight answer. Some clerks thought WIFI was included, but there was a sign in the room stating there would be an extra charge for its use.

No coffee or water heater was available in the room. That said, McDonalds has a restaurant right at the front of the casino with excellent coffee.

The room was fairly large and quiet, even though it faced Fremont Street. It was on the 10th floor, so the noise was not very noticable, and did not interfere with our sleep.

The bedding was very comfortable.

The bath was fairly bland, but contained all the basics was was large.

The halls were clean and quiet, and the elevators were almost always efficient with few delays.

The restaurants were excellent!! D's Grill was one of the best restaurants I've ever eaten in, with an emphasis on service that is sure to please.

What would it take to make this a great hotel? First I'd ditch the resort fee. The D's is a nice hotel, it is NOT a resort! Next I'd put coffee makers in the rooms. Finally, I'd make note that cutting off the water to guestrooms is a major inconvenience. World Class hotels find other ways to do their repairs, rather than cutting off seven floors. If you can't, you should be prepared to compensate your quests in some fashion for their inconvenience.

All now said, I would come back to the D's if I had to, but I'd rather stay in the 4 Queens across the street.

Room Tip: Rooms away from Fremont Street or on upper floors wll be much quieter at night. This doesn't ap...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mmeachm
Sarah C, Manager at The D Casino Hotel Las Vegas, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us and we apologize for any inconveniences you encountered while the water was not in service. Unfortunately, resort fees are now the standard in Las Vegas, and to account for the extra charge, we have lowered our room rates further to ensure our guests continue to receive the best value in town. The resort fee includes Wi-Fi, local & toll-free calls as well as $10 off show tickets to the D Showroom. We offered our guests compensation for the time the water was not in service, and if you could send us an email to fdmod@thed.com, we would be happy to discuss this matter in more detail. We appreciate the feedback and hope to hear from you soon.
Culver City, California
Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

Omg this is my favorite place in all of vegas! The suites are super luxurious the Italian restaurant is to die for they have VIP black jack tables awesome great service. You can here the activity outside from the room but it didnt bug us we enjoyed it super friendly staff just love this place! Totally recommend it.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Starsabrina
Thank you for the review and we're glad we're your favorite place in Vegas! It's great to hear you enjoyed our new suites and you had a chance to check out Andiamo! The whole dining experience there is terrific! We appreciate the feedback and we hope you'll join us again soon!
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Was very concerned when Fitzgerald's was bought out and the conversion started a couple of years ago. The Fitz has been our favorite for a number of years. The new group did an outstanding job on the old hotel and casino. Rooms are spacious and comfortable. And the casino is the best part. Updated! Finally can take a call at the tables. Lots more fun!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Sarah C, Manager at The D Casino Hotel Las Vegas, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
We really appreciate the kind words and we're glad you had a lot of fun with us during your recent stay! Thank you for the review and we're looking forward to seeing you again soon!
Camarillo, California
Reviewed April 18, 2014

Attracted by a great price, was very happy with our room and the hotel staff. Requested a roll in shower did not expect travertine. Room was large and well appointed. Downtown is different experience, a lot of action concentrated in a few blocks.

Room Tip: Be aware that the Freemont Street Experience is loud until midnight. Some rooms are very close to t...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jack L
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. We're happy to hear our new rooms exceeded your expectations and you had a great time downtown! We appreciate the feedback and we hope you'll join us again soon!
Denton, Texas
Reviewed April 18, 2014

Over the last few years I’ve stayed at a variety of places in Vegas – MGM, Cosmo, Luxor, Venetian, and Caesar’s to name a few. Usually I’m staying at these locations because of a conference. However, no matter where I stay, I always find time to make it to the D. I was in Vegas in April, had to spend some time on the strip, but I made it to the D several times. I passed up every casino on the strip and went to the D for action. Nothing compares to the atmosphere at the D. The place is upbeat and the customer service is excellent. The people make it what it is. Special thanks to host Darren Banks and driver Tad for everything they did. It’s people like Darren and Tad that make the D what it is and why I come back time and again. Looking forward to my next trip to Vegas and especially my trip to the D!

Room Tip: corner kings are worth the upgrade.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank patricks858
Thank you for the review. It's great to know we're one of your favorite places to visit in Vegas! Offering excellent customer service is our priority, and we're glad you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. We appreciate the feedback and we're looking forward to your next visit!
Bozeman, Montana
Reviewed April 16, 2014

I stayed here on my way back to Montana in October of 2013, and I thought it was pretty amazing. Excellent casino floor, great bars, and even a McDonald's that had Hot N' Spicy McChickens (we don't have those up here)! I had the privilege of requesting a top floor and was put on the 30th floor facing west. AMAZING VIEWS! Overall this stay was pretty close to perfect. I definitely would recommend this hotel for a unique Fremont Street and Las Vegas experience!

Room Tip: If you like wonderful views, choose one of the top four floors!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Sarah C, Manager at The D Casino Hotel Las Vegas, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us and we're glad you thoroughly enjoyed your stay! We appreciate the review and we hope you'll join us again soon!