“Resort fees”

The D Casino Hotel Las Vegas
Ranked #90 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
“Resort fees”
Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

We like the D, but $20 per day resort fees were just announced. Details on the hotel's website. Not much for $20, in my opinion. We are headed back to Vegas in December for another six-day stay and had planned to stay at the D again. Probably not now.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank stelvisdog
Sarah C, Manager at The D Casino Hotel Las Vegas, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Thank you for voicing your concern about the new resort fee. Although we have added the $20 fee starting August 19th, you'll notice we have dropped the room rates in order to keep the room prices competitive.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (702)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Stayed at the old Fitzgeralds many times in the past. Received a promotion in the mail for buy one get one free. The whole four nites only cost me $65. The D has been remodeled in the casino as well as the rooms. Previously the casino had a very slow elevator....not now, very quick. Used to be one of the major complaints. The rooms are ok, but only used it to shower and catch a few hours of sleep. The only complaint I have with the D is the parking garage. This goes with most casinos downtown. Parking is only permitted on the 7th and higher floors. The lower floors are for valet. I can understand trying to make money off this, but there were times when there only a few cars on the whole floor. Would have been nice to see a buffet, as their restaurant was overpriced and had a limited menu.

Room Tip: Higher rooms away from Fremont street are quieter
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank badgers4life
We appreciate the time you took to review your experience with us. Your feedback gives us more perspective on the areas that we need to work on in order to better our guests' overall experience. We’ll definitely keep your suggestions in mind, and we hope to see you again soon!
Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

I did expect more hospitality even though the rate was super cheap.
At check-in, no hello, welcome," or even a simple smile for that matter. It didn't get better when they couldn't get my reservation straight or even print a receipt (literally!)
I expressed my concerns and was promised a phone call that didn't occur until after my second complaint the following day.
Decided to take our gambling funds and spend the day shopping instead. Maintained the 2 night stay as planned (couldn't be cancelled without penalty) then moved onto MGM and had a great time!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Shellarella
Sarah C, Manager at The D Casino Hotel Las Vegas, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
It's unfortunate to hear that you did not thoroughly enjoy your stay, and we apologize for the unpleasant experience you had with us. We appreciate the time your took to review your stay and will definitely use your feedback to further understand the areas that we need to improve in order to ensure similar circumstances are avoided in the future.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed August 6, 2013

My wife and I travel to Las Vegas regularly for pleasure. This last weekend we needed to move my daughter into her apartment, she is attending UNLV. We decided to stay at the D because of an upcoming motorcycle event happening in October in Downtown Vegas.
Check in was fast and seamless. At first glance the casino floor looked nice. We got up to our room and it was a SAUNA!!! The window mounted A/C was on and blowing, kind of warm. I pulled the curtain back to see sunlight around the entire A/C unit. I am not an A/C guy, but I know this is not right. I called down to the front desk...they said the tech would be up in 20 minutes to take a look. Their suggestion was to walk around outside...where it was 105...Not very smart...We waited, the man found that the unit was toast. He replaced the unit rather quickly, however got water all over the floor. We called down to the front desk to be moved..nothing worse then wet socks!!! They moved us to a room relatively close to the elevator but very convenient. This room was cooler...momentarily...eventually it too warmed up, then cooled a little then warmed up...Another call to maintenance fixed the problem. At approximately 4 am an alarm on our floor (?) went off...not a smoke alarm, just a loud alarm that would wake the dead. Then it turned off...I think it was an elevator alarm..still not sure. Then at 7 am the hammering in the room next to me started..not honeymoon hammering, construction hammering. NO BUENO
The room while renovated, was still dated. You could see the new paint over the old, the dated air conditioning system, the tubs bent and flexed when you touched the side walls..Adding a flat screen to the room does not equal renovation, nor does it equal updating...The pictures of dice on the wall were also kind of tacky.
Upon check out I complained to the front desk. His response was that this construction is a little inconvenient....WHAT ???? Then he offered to discount my next stay??? ARE YOU LISTENING..THIS PLACE SUCKS!!!!!
The casino itself is OK...only had shoes for black jack. My wife took in a little dough playing her penny slots...
I played at the four queens...a stumble across the street from the Dump...er. The D

Room Tip: Stay Away!!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
We apologize for the inconvenience of the A/C units, and we are working diligently on fixing all of the faulty A/C units throughout the hotel. While we try to ensure guests are placed in rooms away from the construction, we understand that the noise at times can be disruptive and we are working with our construction team to avoid excessive noise during too early or too late of hours. Your feedback is very much appreciated, and thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

Travelers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

San Diego, CA
Reviewed July 31, 2013

This is a nice new trendy place (by new I mean redone- it was The Fitzgeralds) right in downtown Las Vegas. The rooms have had a light makeover with fresh new bedding, mattresses, curtains, carpet. I think the furniture might be old or at least it looked kind of 80s. The bathrooms have not been redone but they are fine and the shower curtains are new. We paid around $50/night so I thought it was a bargain considering the remodeling investment they've made and the fact that it's well located on Fremont St. The a/c units don't work that great but when I mentioned it to the front desk they sent someone up quickly to fix it. They still sound like there's a train in your room but it definitely muffles out the hallway and outside noise. Small pool area. This isn't a place for kids. Then again, Vegas isn't a place for kids in my opinion. I would recomment this place for adults of any age.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing east. The ones facing west are adjacent to a noisy alley where the loud conce...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank cblaiz
Thank you for the feedback. The A/C units have been a focus of ours, and we are working to ensure all faulty units are in proper working order. We’re glad to hear you otherwise enjoyed your stay, and hope to see you again soon!
Ennis
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Stayed at The D in the record breaking heat over 4th of July for 5 nights. We requested and received a quiet room. Although it was only 4th floor we heard nothing from the bands on Fremont St. Rooms have been updated and looked very fresh. The coffee pot and water is a bit over the top. Why not just give people a regular coffee pot and forget trying to make extra money selling k cups and expensive water. We had a corner room which came with a refrigerator. Buy your water at Walgreens and put it in frig much cheaper. The casino does get a little loud at night and it seems they are looking for the younger crowd. But all in all, we enjoyed our stay and will probably be back in Dec.

Room Tip: Odd number rooms are away from Fremont St. and quieter
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank OCbusdriver9
Sarah C, Manager at The D Casino Hotel Las Vegas, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We’re glad to hear you enjoyed your stay, and we hope to see you again soon!

Wisconsin
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I was intrigued to stay here after seeing the pictures and reading reviews from others. We gambled here many years while it was Fitzgerald’s but never stayed in the hotel. We always stay downtown but usually at the Golden Nugget.

Pros:
The cost of the room much lower than GN, had a premium King corner. Liked the refrigerator in the room.
Staff – everyone was super friendly and helpful. Great customer service!!
View we had was great.
Not a far walk at the end of the night to the room. Good restaurants on site and cheap drinks

Cons:
Parking structure is horrible. Glad I had rented a compact car.
During peak times the elevators to the room were slow and for some reason very warm.
Room was much smaller than GN had to request a room change. Originally on the 12th floor overlooking Freemont, way too loud. Moved to the 23rd floor much better, however the hallway was not renovated, disappointed. The renovated hallways on the other floors looked way cooler.
The A/C unit was very loud.

Verdict: I love the new look of the casino but miss the rooms of the GN. If the price is right, I would probably give the D another shot. I just have to remind myself that I don’t spend much time in my room, its Vegas.

Room Tip: Back side of building and the higher the floor the better
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wildrose919
Sarah C, Manager at The D Casino Hotel Las Vegas, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
We’re glad to hear your enjoyed your stay with us, and thanks for taking the time to review your visit! We’re aware our parking structure can be a bit difficult, and we’re looking into ways we can improve the parking situation in the near future. We also love the new hallways and will soon have every hallway renovated; unfortunately we just had not gotten to the floor you were located on yet. Hopefully, we’ll see you again for another visit once we have completed our upgrades!