“Felt At Home”

The D Casino Hotel Las Vegas
Ranked #84 of 265 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Being from Detroit I really felt at home here. Everyone whereing Detroit Tiger and Red Wings T's. They really are advertiseing here in Michigan.
We stayed At The D 3 nights then moved to the Strip for 2 nights.
Valet parking was fast and easy. The check in desk was nice and quick. I asked for a smokeing room and I do not smoke but my friends do. The room was clean and did not smell like smoke.
We had read about the $2.50 Keurig coffee in room so we brought our own Folgers K-cups cream n sugar worked out great.
The beds are comfy and just the right amount of blankets and pillows.
The TV had more stations on it than any other casino hotel we have stayed at. Our room was on 22 floor with great view looking east.
The towels were nice and soap shampoo etc. smell like fresh cut grass.
This trip I did not find the music too loud in casino seemed ok. Love the up stairs casino and geting my hands dirty with real coins. As of all vegas casinos I found the beer to be too warm, it was colder to buy it across the street at the party store.
Now my two complaints which by the way I can understand being an old building with old bones just like The Quad.
The plumbing our sink would back up while we slept and each morning was filled with black pipe goop, the tub also stopped draining by day two. And the hair dryer needed replaceing for safety sake. Please see pictures of sink and tub. p.s. I was pretty lucky with the elevators they seemed always waiting for me.

Room Tip: Get off on floor two for upper casino.
3  Thank Diana7Michigan
Write a ReviewReviews (2,623)

Reviewed May 13, 2013

We arrived the first weekend in May. Check-in was quick and friendly. Nice rooms and the view was great on the 34th floor. Elevators were a little slow, but not so bad to stop me from staying again. The bathroom was in need of repair, shower surround was poor and the faucet was hard to adjust temp and also hard to turn off. Casino was great! great service, far better than what we received at the Golden Nugget last year. Had a great time and will stay again.

2  Thank Roxi J
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Couldn't wait to return to the D and visit our friendly bartenders Richard and Robert! Wow were we disappointed to find Robert's shift was changed to 2am start time! I guess the new owner is trying to get rid of the older fellows! Robert has worked there for years! The D is trying to go younger crowd! which is fine but even most of the younger crowd can not stand the blaring music after a few minutes! The chicks dancing on the tables look tacky as well, might be different if they didn't look like tweekers! I'm all for showing skin but have a little class! There use to be a patio with tables outside the Vue you could take your drink out there and sit and watch the action, show and ziplining on freemont, now an escalator goes up but not down, so patrons have to walk down through the casino, which is the only way out, looking at the sleezy table dancers! Not a nice place to walk through with kid's if you are unsuspecting of where the escalator goes!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CAROLYN C
Reviewed May 9, 2013

New management takes over Fitzgerald's and renames and rebrands the Hotel and Casino as The D.

Long time bartenders are forced to perform (or lose their jobs) Tom Cruise-esque 'Cocktail' moves behind the bar.

Which if you are sitting and trying to play video poker - gets really old, really fast.

The downstairs casino has been converted to cater to a younger crowd. If you don't like 'electronica' or current dance music, you're not going to like this.

The price is good, the location is good, it's just not what I want from a downtown 'old strip' hotel and casino. If I want girls dancing above the blackjack tables, I can go to the strip for that.

After more than 10 years staying at the Fitz, one stay at The D, I'm through. For me, the D in The D, is DONE!

If you're associated with another Hotel Casino downtown, I'm looking for a new place to stay on my next visit.

• Stayed: February 2013
4  Thank BACANationGuru
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We selected the recently renovated D Hotel (formerly Fitzgerald's) downtown for a "staycation" in April primarily because we scheduled a tour of the nearby Neon Museum the following morning.

The hotel is significantly improved over the site's previous incarnation. Gone is the old and smoky smell that formerly permeated the hotel's corridors and rooms. The new rooms are nicely designed and very comfortable. The staff was very professional and efficient, and the price for our Thursday stay was rock bottom. The Hotel's website prices were equivalent to Expedia's and Priceline's without the hassle.

One oddity: the views from the high-level, corner room we had, which should have been excellent both back to the Strip and west to the Spring Mountains, were significantly impaired by the Hotel's multi-story advertising screen, which is crudely and unevenly stuck on the outer surface of the room's windows (see photos).

One other significant drawback: the hotel has no exercise facilities of any kind, a very surprising omission for a recently renovated hotel.

As with other downtown hotels, I recommend the highest room you can get to avoid the very loud music and commontion from Fremont Street.

We tried two of the Hotel's restaurants and found a marked contrast. We had an enjoyable dinner at Andiamo's Steakhouse, which featured excellent food with outstanding service (see separate review).

Using the discount coupon provided by the front desk at check-in, we had breakfast at the D Grill, which was on the opposite end of the spectrum. The food was mediocre - hard to screw up breakfast, but certainly nothing to recommend this version. The service was terrible: a large tray with our orders and the orders of an adjacent table was left unattended after the waiter served us. The patron at the next table, having been abandoned, eventually served herself from the tray after the waiter disappeared. We sat for a considerable period after completing our meal waiting for our check. I was just about to go to the front to try to locate our bill when it finally showed up.

A Denny's recently opened about a block east of the D on Fremont: I recommend you have your breakfast there.

Room Tip: To avoid the very high noise levels from Fremont Street that last past midnight even during the week...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lyle B
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I and some friends of ours went to Vegas for a little getaway and for our friend's honeymoon. We got 2 rooms at The D and absolutely LOVED IT! The rooms were decorated nice and were clean. The location was AWESOME! I had rented a scooter and they brought it up to our room when it arrived. They had no problem moving us to a handicapped room because of my walker and scooter. We are both in our 30's so we are new to getting a handicapped room and they were very accommodating! Is it the best hotel we have ever stayed at? No, but for the price, it is our new go to place for our hopefully many Vegas trips in the years to come! Excellent staff, excellent hotel!

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank mkyfrk
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed at the D for 4 nights the beginning of May 2013. This hotel was the old Fitzgerald's. They have remodeled the entire hotel and it is really quite nice. Here are the Pros:
1. Clean, modern, well furnished.
2. A very friendly staff. Good food.
3. You will love the mattresses, and will sleep like a baby when the noise stops.
The Cons:
1. We stayed on the 30th floor overlooking Freemont St. The elevators to get you up and down are really quite slow.
2. I suggest if you stay there request the side of the hotel that does not face Freemont St. even though we were up 30 floors, the noise from the street was terrible, and does not stop until like midnight. Other than that, I would stay there again, but on the other side of the hotel.

Room Tip: I suggest if you stay there request the side of the hotel that does not face Freemont St. even thou...
3  Thank players2