“The D”

Ranked #92 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Duluth, Minnesota, United States
“The D”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

We arrived the first weekend in May. Check-in was quick and friendly. Nice rooms and the view was great on the 34th floor. Elevators were a little slow, but not so bad to stop me from staying again. The bathroom was in need of repair, shower surround was poor and the faucet was hard to adjust temp and also hard to turn off. Casino was great! great service, far better than what we received at the Golden Nugget last year. Had a great time and will stay again.

2 Thank Roxi J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (691)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
vancouver
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

Couldn't wait to return to the D and visit our friendly bartenders Richard and Robert! Wow were we disappointed to find Robert's shift was changed to 2am start time! I guess the new owner is trying to get rid of the older fellows! Robert has worked there for years! The D is trying to go younger crowd! which is fine but even most of the younger crowd can not stand the blaring music after a few minutes! The chicks dancing on the tables look tacky as well, might be different if they didn't look like tweekers! I'm all for showing skin but have a little class! There use to be a patio with tables outside the Vue you could take your drink out there and sit and watch the action, show and ziplining on freemont, now an escalator goes up but not down, so patrons have to walk down through the casino, which is the only way out, looking at the sleezy table dancers! Not a nice place to walk through with kid's if you are unsuspecting of where the escalator goes!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CAROLYN C

Travelers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

New management takes over Fitzgerald's and renames and rebrands the Hotel and Casino as The D.

Long time bartenders are forced to perform (or lose their jobs) Tom Cruise-esque 'Cocktail' moves behind the bar.

Which if you are sitting and trying to play video poker - gets really old, really fast.

The downstairs casino has been converted to cater to a younger crowd. If you don't like 'electronica' or current dance music, you're not going to like this.

The price is good, the location is good, it's just not what I want from a downtown 'old strip' hotel and casino. If I want girls dancing above the blackjack tables, I can go to the strip for that.

After more than 10 years staying at the Fitz, one stay at The D, I'm through. For me, the D in The D, is DONE!

If you're associated with another Hotel Casino downtown, I'm looking for a new place to stay on my next visit.

• Stayed February 2013
4 Thank BACANationGuru
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

We selected the recently renovated D Hotel (formerly Fitzgerald's) downtown for a "staycation" in April primarily because we scheduled a tour of the nearby Neon Museum the following morning.

The hotel is significantly improved over the site's previous incarnation. Gone is the old and smoky smell that formerly permeated the hotel's corridors and rooms. The new rooms are nicely designed and very comfortable. The staff was very professional and efficient, and the price for our Thursday stay was rock bottom. The Hotel's website prices were equivalent to Expedia's and Priceline's without the hassle.

One oddity: the views from the high-level, corner room we had, which should have been excellent both back to the Strip and west to the Spring Mountains, were significantly impaired by the Hotel's multi-story advertising screen, which is crudely and unevenly stuck on the outer surface of the room's windows (see photos).

One other significant drawback: the hotel has no exercise facilities of any kind, a very surprising omission for a recently renovated hotel.

As with other downtown hotels, I recommend the highest room you can get to avoid the very loud music and commontion from Fremont Street.

We tried two of the Hotel's restaurants and found a marked contrast. We had an enjoyable dinner at Andiamo's Steakhouse, which featured excellent food with outstanding service (see separate review).

Using the discount coupon provided by the front desk at check-in, we had breakfast at the D Grill, which was on the opposite end of the spectrum. The food was mediocre - hard to screw up breakfast, but certainly nothing to recommend this version. The service was terrible: a large tray with our orders and the orders of an adjacent table was left unattended after the waiter served us. The patron at the next table, having been abandoned, eventually served herself from the tray after the waiter disappeared. We sat for a considerable period after completing our meal waiting for our check. I was just about to go to the front to try to locate our bill when it finally showed up.

A Denny's recently opened about a block east of the D on Fremont: I recommend you have your breakfast there.

Room Tip: To avoid the very high noise levels from Fremont Street that last past midnight even during the week...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lyle B
Great Bend, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I and some friends of ours went to Vegas for a little getaway and for our friend's honeymoon. We got 2 rooms at The D and absolutely LOVED IT! The rooms were decorated nice and were clean. The location was AWESOME! I had rented a scooter and they brought it up to our room when it arrived. They had no problem moving us to a handicapped room because of my walker and scooter. We are both in our 30's so we are new to getting a handicapped room and they were very accommodating! Is it the best hotel we have ever stayed at? No, but for the price, it is our new go to place for our hopefully many Vegas trips in the years to come! Excellent staff, excellent hotel!

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank mkyfrk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed at the D for 4 nights the beginning of May 2013. This hotel was the old Fitzgerald's. They have remodeled the entire hotel and it is really quite nice. Here are the Pros:
1. Clean, modern, well furnished.
2. A very friendly staff. Good food.
3. You will love the mattresses, and will sleep like a baby when the noise stops.
The Cons:
1. We stayed on the 30th floor overlooking Freemont St. The elevators to get you up and down are really quite slow.
2. I suggest if you stay there request the side of the hotel that does not face Freemont St. even though we were up 30 floors, the noise from the street was terrible, and does not stop until like midnight. Other than that, I would stay there again, but on the other side of the hotel.

Room Tip: I suggest if you stay there request the side of the hotel that does not face Freemont St. even thou...
3 Thank players2
Orange County, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

First thing's first... It's Downtown! There is no point in comparing a high end strip hotel to a Fremont Street hotel! With that said, Downtown hotel's are coming up. They are making a serious effort to clean up and modernize Fremont Street and it's hotel's.

It had been a few years since I have visited Las Vegas. The last time I visited I stayed at Planet Hollywood mid-strip, but I have stayed downtown may times before then. I was excited to see that Fitz's had been remodeled and renamed the D. Our stay there had some pro's and con's as expected, but overall it was a great experience.

First of all, the parking structure is super sketchy. Self Parking begins on the 7th floor so you need to go up quite a bit just to find parking. The structure is tall and narrow meaning there are many many turns. Most corners are blind and we had a couple near misses on the way up. But, once you get parked you're good till the end of your stay so no big deal. The front desk/check-in had 3 ladies behind the counter and 2 people in line at 4pm on a Friday. The woman who helped me was friendly and efficient. I was checked in in no time. I opted for a PREMIUM CORNER KING booked on hotels.com. My room was on the 28th floor and the first room on the floor off the elevator (I had no issues with elevator noise). My first impression of the room was that it looked nice and modern. The decor was impressive. Black and red seems to be the theme. There is a nice, high king bed in the middle of the room. There is a pull out couch and seating area located near the wrap around window. Being on the 28th Floor, I was able to see the near by mountains clearly and of course the ghetto's that surround Fremont Street. There is a nice sized flat screen TV with your typical channel selections located on the dresser in front of the bed. There is also a nicely sized (empty) refrigerator located on the desk side of the furniture piece. There is also a KEURIG coffee maker and 2 FIJI water's available. the K-Cup's used for the Keurig cost $2.50 each and the Fiji water $4! No thanks. I brought my own K-cups from home and water from 7-11.

Now for the restroom. The restroom had some issues. The plumbing is probably very old and need's some maintenance. The sink and tub drains were constantly making a gurgling sound. I thought it was only after using the sink (like a clogged drain), but it was making noises fairly consistently. Luckily, I could only hear it when in the restroom. The shower could use some work as well. First off, I could not figure out how to control the temperature. It was either scorching hot or off. Those were my options. Also, the shower head was weak. It is a low end version of a rain shower head. I would have been much more satisfied with a standard shower head with decent water pressure.

I unfortunately was not able to take in the whole casino and I did not go upstairs to the "vintage casino" other than to use the restroom. The dealers after 6PM are all female and dressed "nicely" :) They rotate between dealing games and dancing on go-go boxes. The music is a little loud and consists of your typical "top 40 club jams". Service comes around quite regularly and was very easy to get a drink. Overall, a good casino experience.

The D (and all of Fremont Street) is on the up and for the price, you really can't beat it. It is a good time and everything you need is within walking distance. If you absolutely can not live without the glitz of the strip, it's only a short cab ride away!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the opposite side of Fremont Street. I had some noise issues, even on the 28th...
5 Thank CodenameMikey