“A Lot For The Money”

Ranked #66 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
San Diego
“A Lot For The Money”
Reviewed June 30, 2009

Besides having the most comfortable bed and a great view, the property has a pool / spa that appears to be open 24/7. Late night trips to the pool / spa made my stay here a cut above other places in Las Vegas I was a guest in. The parking is free, there is a resort fee that is small, internet is slow and tv service was basic.
My room had a view of the Eastside Cannery building which looks wonderful in the evenings. The room was larger sized and rather comfortable.
If you are looking for a recession vacation this just might be the place. Bowling, movies, pool, spa, dining, indoor park and of course a casino makes Sam's Town hard to beat for those looking to get out of the house without spending too much.
I booked my room through vegasview.com for $8 per night which is almost free. I hope to get this deal again but I'm not holding my breath. Currently Sam's Town on the site is a more sane $26 a night which is still a bargain.
Other reviews mentioned this location as a good choice for families and I would agree. So if Las Vegas is going to be your recession vacation this could be your spot.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank QenTerra

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (493)
  • Polish first
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 29, 2009

This was our annual trek to Las Vegas, we have been going with friends for about seven years now; its the parents play ground. We love to venture out beyond the "Strip" and Sam's Town is one of those gems we found a few years back but never stayed at until this year. We absolutely loved it. Our friends were in a "regular" room and we for the first time opted for a suite. The decor in the "regular" room is beautiful and the one bedroom suite was fantastic; both accommodations overlooked the atrium which is amazing itself.

In all the years past I had never wanted to just sit and relax in my room but the suite was so inviting my friend and I couldn't help ourselves but to leave the guys at the table, grab a snack at the food court and chill in front of the TV for a while.

Sam's Town is just that a town within itself but not overwhelmingly huge, you can actually find your way to your room without a GPS. They had great live music during our stay. Although we did not use it, Sam's offers a shuttle to down town and the strip. There is shopping right across the street for anything you may have left at home. We ate at the buffet last year and it was very good.

I suppose I could go on and on about our enjoyable stay but to sum it up we have stayed in many places (can't afford the Wynn) during our travel to LV and will defiantly return to Sam's Town

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank wheresdaapplebzdaddy
orlando
Reviewed June 27, 2009

My husband and I made it a point to visit Sam's Town not only once, but twice after seeing it featured on Rachel Ray's "$40 a Day" on the Food Network (she featured their 'Firelight Buffet.'). I have to say what a pleasant surprise it was! Of all the hotels that we visited during our stay, it was only at the Encore (we stayed at Encore) and Sam's Town that doors were held open for us and received 5 star service from the personnel. Everyone that worked there were both friendly and helpful, and seemed genuinely happy to have us at their Casino. One Craps guy, I think his name was Sinisi? was from Checkloslovakia?, stood out because he was so friendly and helpful and kind to us, teaching us about craps and notifying me when it was time to do something at the Craps table (we won $300 that night, but lost on other nights there, but didn't matter because we just loved it there)! The employees seemed happy to be at work and all had a jovial attitude towards both each other and the patrons.
One funny thing that happened was when I asked this one man gambling if he came there often, and the dealer replied for him, saying, "Who, Barry, nah, he's never been here!" (I found it funny anyway :P) There are a lot of locals who gamble there, I found signs prominently displaying that Sam's Town had won Best Gambling Hall for 6 straight years in a row! There is a reason for this: the employees and the craps odds are 20 to 1 :D
Everything was extremely clean and the waitresses remembered my name when I had only visited there once before on our trip, (loved that). There is even a separate gambling area on the other side (separate from the main) that is non-smoking (great for people who abhor smoking).
One thing that I found particularly wonderful about the place was the fountain show in the center of their main area. It is basically a smaller scaled version of the fountains show seen at Bellagio. Considering that Sam's Town is much older than the Bellagio, it makes me wonder if Bellagio borrowed the idea from Sam. :P There was a wide variety of people and families there, all watching in amazement at the show. Middle America at it's finest :) I saw quite a few retirees there also, (they are the smart ones that know where to gamble) :P
In addition, Sam's Town has a Bowling Hall, a Movie theater, an Ice Cream shop, as well as a Dunkin' Donuts (great relief from those $6 coffees that you find on the strip)! I am including pictures in both this review and a following review because each review only allows 10 pictures. I think that I took more pictures here than any other casino that we visited during 5 days there, I liked it that much.
If I were to ever go to Vegas again, the two standout choices of 'must-see' places to stay would be Sam's Town or Encore, and honestly, I think that I would choose Sam's Town because of the great gambling they have and that it is just so comfy and nice. (Encore is brilliant too though) :P We visited a lot of casinos in Vegas too, including Caesar's (great) and Bellagio (not-so-much, not because of the staff, but because it was just a conglomerate mess with the MASSIVE crowds and HEAVY smoking). It took me nearly half an hour to find a freaking bathroom at Bellagio, and it was far away from where I was gambling)
Do yourself a favor and choose Sam's Town, I think that you will be glad that you did! --and your wallet will thank you! (better gambling odds, and if you check, I think their slots are slightly higher in percentage payouts, being off the strip)

Please read my reviews of this place after this one, you will find a lot more photos, pictures are worth a thousand words!

and for the mods, No, I do not work for Sam's Town, I just like to give credit where credit is due :P

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Firestormz
San Diego, California
Reviewed June 23, 2009

Excellent Service. The staff answered all my questions with a smile. Movie Theatre on the premesis. $3.00 days on Tuesday which is a big plus if you are over 60. They have a free shuttle to the strip every half hour. The only down side that I have to staying there is the Buffet. It is not expensive but also not very good. For breakfast there is an omlete station but thaere are huge lines for this. The pancakes were hard as a rock. Otherwise I give the hotel very high marks for cleanliness. We had a really great time.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JimmyKaratekid
ozarks
Reviewed June 18, 2009

This is a nice place to stay. We stayed on the 6th floor with a room over looking the indoor park. It was nice and clean. The beds were a little outdated and lumpy. It had a McDonald's downstairs by the park so we didn't even have to take the kids into the Casino. We only stayed here for one night on our way to Utah but it was really nice for us. We did not get any special services other than Valet parking which is tip only which was nice. Some places are expensive as much as $30 for valet. The lady at the check in desk was nice and greeted us with a smile. We did not have to wait in line. It is off the strip but that is one of the reasons we picked this hotel/casino and the price was great. We paid 28.00 for our room so I won't complain. I would stay here again but would ask for another blanket and another pillow if that haven't updated by then.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
UK
Reviewed May 2, 2009

Spent 3 nights in Sam's Town at the end of April and it was great value for money. Had a nice quiet room facing the mountains. The room and bathroon were spacious and clean. Ample parking for my rented car. Regular shuttle buses available to and from the Strip and Downtown.

The hotel is located on the Boulder Highway and is an easy drive straight to the Hoover Dam and Lake Mead.

Lisa on the front desk was a delight and other well known hotel chains should hire her to train their staff on customer service.

My only complaint about Sam's Town was the extorniate cost to use the wifi - $5.99 for one hour, $9.99 for 24 hours or $29.99 for 3 days!! This was the only time I paid for internet access during my time in the southwest. I could have gone across the street to McDonalds and used their free hotspot but I didn't fancy lugging my laptop only to be online for a short time. Get with it Sam's Town, if small hotels in the Grand Canyon and Zion NP can offer free wifi then so can you.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank Maple23
REAL-E-REAL
Reviewed April 1, 2009

We stayed here on the way home from So. California on Sunday night, March 29, 2009.

Sam's Town has a very good basic rate most nights for a clean comfortable room. All staff were extremely friendly and helpful.

We had a two queen bed room. While very nice with a desk and flat screen T.V., I was surprised it didn't have a refrigerator, microwave or even a coffee maker, so take note if you were expecting those. Wi-Fi is available in the rooms but the charge for it seems pretty steep. There is free ice on each floor so with our travel cooler we didn't miss a refrigerator. We always take a small electric kettle to heat water for coffee etc.. We requested two extra pillows which were brought to us promptly at no extra charge.

There was a problem with the toilet which was quickly addressed by hotel engineering.

Dinner at the Firelight Buffet is $10.99, or $9.99 if you get one of the Coast Club Cards which are free. It was very good with a huge selection and included a glass of wine or draft beer for the adults.

There is no free breakfast, but there are lots of places to eat on the property. The Firelight Buffet has breakfast for about $6, but the line was too long by the time we got there. We grabbed a quick breakfast at the in-house McDonald's, which was much better than most "free breakfasts" for about $5 each. I have to mention, this McDonald's is the only fast food location we visited on our entire vacation that didn't mess up the order.

The atrium in the center is kinda fun. It has a feature they call Mystic Falls with a waterfall scene and animatronic animals.

If you are with anyone who has a problem with cigarette and cigar smoke, be aware it is hard to entirely avoid. The atrium is a non-smoking area and you can reach the McDonald's through there. The hotel corridor we were in was also non-smoking. Just the same, you'll be smelling some smoke walking from one place to another.

This isn't the easiest place to get your luggage to your room in if your doing it yourself. We couldn't see an available bell hop when we arrived and just thought we'd do it ourselves. It took us about twenty minutes, involved four trips to the parking garage which isn't all that close to the rooms. It would have been easier to have waited for a bellhop. It could have helped if the hotel had a few luggage carts on hand in the garage for guests.

I'd consider staying here again since the price can't be beat. If I was looking for a real Las Vegas experience though, I'd probably stay somewhere on or nearer the Strip.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family