“Not a 5*, But a Good Bet For Off-Strip Lodging”

Sam's Town Hotel & Gambling Hall
Ranked #59 of 265 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed September 11, 2013

When arriving on a Friday or Saturday night, we like to stay off-strip, because Strip-rates are three-to-four times the week day rate. Sam's Town is one of our faves for those weekend arrivals. We have never paid more than $75/night on a weekend.

The first time we visited this casino, we took a bus from one of the Strip hotels (Harrahs, maybe?) out there. We enjoyed it, but it seemed like such a long way out there and back that we didn't re-visit for several years, when we started renting a car for the trip and venturing out to some of the outlying places. Then, one trip when we were trying to book one of our usual Saturday night stays at a different hotel, but when we called that hotel, it was booked, so they suggested Sam's Town. Okay...let's give it a try. We'd played there but hadn't stayed there.

First off, the hotel rooms are very similar to Hampton Inn or Holiday inn Express rooms, as far as furnishings and decor. The rooms aren't lush like the five-star hotels, but nor do they charge a five-star rate. Very mid-scale, traditional. The rooms are clean, and the beds/bedding are comfortable, so no complaints there. And we've always had a quiet room, able to get a good night sleep. I will say that we've never had an atrium-facing room, so I don't if that makes a difference.

Furnishings look like furniture you'd have at home, and included the bed, bedside tables with clock/radio, a desk with desk chair, chest of drawers, a comfy upholstered chair, and a flat panel television. There was a large mirror above the desk which was situated next to the window, so that's where I sat to do hair/makeup, because of the natural light.

The bathrooms are the basic, with a single-lavatory, tub/shower combo. Blow-dryer mounted on the wall, and just enough towels. The usual toiletries: basic shampoo, conditioner, lotion, soap. (Ladies, if you color or treat your hair, take your own shampoo/conditioner when you travel because few hotels provide color-safe products....just sayin'.) The bathrooms are not very big, so two people trying to get dressed at the same time is a bit tricky.

The closet is rather small, but adequate for a short stay. There was an ironing board and iron for quick pressing if needed.

The hotel charges a daily resort fee, which covers 24-hour unlimited internet usage. If you want faster internet service, you can pay an extra fee.

However, there is NO ROOM SAFE. If you travel with cash, credit cards, electronics, etc. a room safe is very important. I cannot understand why some of the hotels still don't have them. That is my only real issue with this hotel. There are travel safes available online, but it's just one more thing to pack. Plus, it's a heck of a lot more convenient if there is a room safe.

As for restaurants, there are plenty of places to eat: a steakhouse, mexican restaurant, buffet, TGI-Fridays, and small food court. If you want something quick to take with you, or a sit-down meal, you won't go hungry.

The casino itself seems small when you first go in, but it meanders around, two floors, so plenty of opportunity to play. I'm not much of a slot machine player, but the few I did play were quick to scarf down my money without any winnings in return. I think on one machine, a nickel machine, I put in a $20 without one payout whatsoever. We found the VP machines to be more friendly than the Strip casino machines, though, so I was able to recoup what I lost in the slot machines. Hubby plays poker, and said the poker room is basic, comfortable, and adequate. He was in there a long time. Drink service was okay. I think the casinos must not have as many servers as they used to. The mornings thru mid-day were okay, but in the afternoons and evenings, they didn't seem to make the rounds very frequently. If you tip really well they'll make a point to come by to check on you, though.

All-in-all, this is a good place to stay and play. We've stayed there several times and will stay again.

PROS: room rates; clean, comfortable rooms; a lot of low-denomination machines
CONS: no room safe

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank KatKnapTrvl
Write a ReviewReviews (1,856)

Reviewed September 11, 2013

We always stay at Sams Town, the rooms are huge and always clean. We have stayed here at least once a year for the past 15 years and have always enjoyed our stay here. Staff is always friendly and helpful, a variety of food choices, from the buffet, sports deli, Subway, McDonalds, Sbarro's, Panda Express, Billy Bob's, Willie & Joses, and TGIF. We always rent a car so we can go sightseeing and we will go to the strip and valet park at one of the hotels there and walk taking in the sights. Comps add up fast and we usuallly pay $27.00 to 32.00 a night for a room, that is big. We have stayed at the high dollar places and they can keep them, as long as Sam's keeps doing what it's been doing, we will continue to stay here. I did see the review from MerJim and talked about spending $400.00 a day, I think they have the wrong property plus they said this was a Hilton property. Plus your only about 10 to 15 minutes from airport, very easy to get to.

Room Tip: 9th floor is all smoking so choose a lower floor.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jb49001
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We stayed at Sam's for 2 nights and got an amazing price of $36/night for two of us plus a free breakfast buffet for two both mornings. The room was good sized with two double beds and a very large bathroom. Everything was clean. The bed could have been more comfortable but it was adequate. The breakfast was delicious once we made it through the slow moving line to even get a table. Made to order omelets or eggs cooked any way you want plus just about anything else you could think of was available on the huge buffet. We had plenty of food to eat. We just thought the line to get in could have been managed a little better.

It was a challenge to figure out which parking garage to use and then to find our room from there. Still, parking was free so we can't complain too loudly.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nitrobrune
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I just came back from a wedding at Sam's Town, in Vegas. It was Beautiful. The hotel staff was very helpful, they kept things moving as far as the wedding goes. The food was delicious. We had fried chicken, sliced Barbequed beef, tender young broccolini and many other foods to feast on.
This was a first for me to not to stay on the strip and I must say it was a pleasant stay. The room I stayed in was a very nice: it had 2 queen beds, wall TV, free WIFI for up to 3 devices and plenty of room to move around. The hotel it's self was beautiful with the waterfall and the show that it put on was beautiful. There are many options as far as restaurant's: you have your fast-food to fine dining, as well as a large buffet to enjoy. I personally visited Subway, Sbarro's, T.G.I. Friday's and the buffet, I must say they were all well staffed, friendly and made sure that I had everything that I needed.
Staying at Sam's Town didn't make me feel rushed, it was great. I was relaxed, the gambling opportunities were great and I enjoyed myself. If I would've had more time I would have stayed longer. As far as cost I would say I got my monies worth and more, and all under one roof.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Tracy H
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Wow, alot of bang for your little tiny buck! We stayed here for 3 nights in Sept 2013. Had a great time. Lots of choices for video poker, our game of choice! Theres a full size bowling alley, which we used. Great. A movie theater, which we didnt use, so cannot comment on, but it looks like a full size theater. Many different food choices. We ate at the buffet twice. Good, not great. Staff very helpful and nice in the entire place. Pool very nice but a bit small. Rooms are HUGE and very clean. We love the off strip location, less mayham! The comps add up fast, so you can get freebees no problem. $5/ day resort fee, which they waive if you play at all! Would have given 5 stars if smoke smell wasnt so prevalant.
Do not hesitate to book at Sams. Totally recommended.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We spent a week here, we love the employees and the atmosphere. The room was clean and the gaming was fun, we always win enough to keep playing for a long time and even win extra. The drink ladies are all very nice. They have a huge movie theater and bowling alley. The fun never stops and I cant wait until we go again.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Stayed 2 nights rooms were clean and very comfortable Staff and service excellent and very helpful. would advise anyone not to hesitate about a stay at Sams Town . The gambling is excellent, with excellent video poker and slot machines. many $5. as well as a $3. blackjack tables. If bowling is your game they have you covered. A number of restaurants, as well as Billy Bobs steak house. I just had a great time have stayed there many times over the years. never a bad stay.

Room Tip: If you have never been to Sams Town an atrium facing room lets you see the show from the room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends