“Endlessly charming and welcoming”

Sam's Town Hotel and Gambling Hall
Ranked #65 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Manchester, England
“Endlessly charming and welcoming”
Reviewed November 7, 2011

When my wife and I were planning what could be our last trip to the USA for a long time, there was no doubt in our mind that it would start at Sammy's and end there, with lots of sightseeing inbetween.

Why drive 8 or 9 miles from McCarran after all that flying when we could drive 2 miles up the Strip? Because at Sammy's you can kick your shoes off and feel at home from minute one - it's as simple as that.

We always promise ourselves we'll go bowling, go to the movie theatre, eat at Willy & José's and swim in the pool. We always know we won't - but it doesn't matter. Most of the machines we like are there. There's a relaxed atmosphere. We like the buffet. Then of course, there's the lovely Mystic Falls which makes me moist of eye literally every time I see it.

Check-in has always been easy and we have always got what we asked for. I asked for a desert view room at the start of the trip which left us overlooking the parking lot - not so great. The room we had at the end of the trip was an improvement and we could watch lunatics in the distance doing the SkyJump at the Stratosphere.

You'll probably need to avoid more walking frames and electric buggies here than at other casinos and the handwash containers by the main elevators look like they belong in a hospital, but you soon get used to that.

You might have to wait for longer to see a cocktail waitress too, but Sammy's has got better in that regard in the last 3-4 years.

We've always had enjoyable dining experiences at T.G.I. Friday's since Sammy's got rid of the Fresh Harvest Café, but it's expensive and we still wish the funky ol' café was there for that late-night treat, sweet or savoury.

I think we'll always come back here because it's great value, friendly and it's rare that you'll see us at Sammy's without a big smile on our face! It's as simple as that.

Room Tip: Try to get above floor 5 if you are reserving an 'outside' room. If you love the Mystic Fal...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ChrisJMann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (500)
  • Polish first
Kennewick, Washington
Reviewed November 6, 2011

I go to Las Vegas every year to see my dad who is now 84 years old. I used to stay at another hotel/casino down the road but unless you're a high roller, they treat you like you are a necessary evil. I really enjoyed my stay at Sam's Town. The room was nicer than I expected and the employees could not have been nicer. The variety of restaurants was excellent (especially Billy Bob's). I took my dad to the water show and he was so thrilled. He thoroughly enjoyed it. I did too, several times. I don't think I'll ever stay anywhere else.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Debra W
Arizona
Reviewed November 5, 2011

Having previously visited Downtown and the Strip, my wife and I decided to stay three nights at Sam's Town, and we are glad we did. Being at the intersection of Flamingo Road and Boulder Highway, Sam's Club is a good location for East Las Vegas sights such as Ethel M Chocolate Factory and Cactus Gardens. The Atomic Testing Museum is on Flamingo Road between Sam's Town and the Strip.

The highlight of our stay was the water and laser light show in Mystic Falls Park which is inside the hotel atrium. The show lasts about ten minutes and occurs several times a day as posted. Young and old seemed to enjoy not only the lights and fountains but also the animated creatures such as a bear and a wolf that howls. This is a real park with a waterfalls and living trees and plants.

Our room on the 6th floor was nice and clean. The bathroom with ceiling light and five lights over the wash area gave plenty of light. We selected a room having a view towards Downtown which was less colorful than we expected. Other rooms face the atrium. There are plenty of eating places, and we found the staff to be friendly. We'd recommend Sam's Town for those wanting to stay in a less touristy location.

Room Tip: Some prefer rooms facing outside and some prefer rooms facing the atrium. We chose a room facing Dow...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PadreArizona
Iron Mountain, Michigan, United States
Reviewed November 4, 2011

We have been enjoying the beauty and comfort of Sam's Town in Las Vegas for years. The employees there are friendly, the rooms are clean and beautiful, the food is excellent and we couldn't stay anywhere else in Las Vegas anymore. We have stayed in other casino's before we were introduced to Sam's Town, but you just cannot beat the atmosphere at Sam's. I cannot say enough to make anyone understand how comfortable it is at Sam's. The staff is friendly and helpful and the gaming is exciting and such a variety of things to do. There is a swimming pool, movie theater, bowling alley, shops within the casino and nightly entertainment. Many different contests also and their bingo jackpots are out of sight! I hope everyone gets a chance to experience Sam't Town in Las Vegas and I'll bet you'll never go elsewhere either, just make sure there's always room for us!

Room Tip: Some rooms have outside views and then there are rooms with windows focusing on their indoor park My...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Carol T
Panguitch, Utah
Reviewed October 31, 2011

If you're looking for where the beautiful people stay....this isn't it. Older crowd and locals here. But the room was nice and the place is clean and offers lots of food choices. The Mystic Falls show is typical Las Vegas cheesy but fun anyway. Paid extra for an atrium view room but you had to squeeze behind the (big comfy) easy chairs to peer down at it, no balcony or anything, so that is not worth it. All the employees we ran across were friendly and helpful, especially the front desk. Better attitude than we run into when staying on the Strip. Not a very convenient location if you are doing things on the Strip but we were there to attend a class nearby so it was fine. However, getting a taxi out there was difficult...waited nearly 20 minutes for one.

Room Tip: Atrium rooms are not worth the extra money
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 21, 2011

I understand that smoke is part of Vegas but this was terrible. 2nd night of stay it seemed like they were pumping smoke onto my room. Front desk associates were grumpy when you asked them questions.

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank Wynoski
STLVMarketing, Marketing Director at Sam's Town Hotel and Gambling Hall, responded to this review, October 26, 2011
I am very sorry that you had a less than exceptional experience during your stay at Sam's Town. I'm sure you know that we have non-smoking rooms available, but we may have been at capacity during your visit making it impossible for you to stay in one of those rooms. I also want to apologize that you found the front desk associates to be anything besides pleasant and helpful. I assure you that the Hotel Manager will see a copy of your comments and that she will follow through with her team to make sure they understand how to demonstrate the best attitude for all of our guests.

I am sincerely sorry that these two things marred your visit to Sam's Town, and very much hope that you will decide to visit us again and offer us the opportunity to better meet your expectations.
Peoria, Arizona
Reviewed October 17, 2011

Sam's Town has been around forever and I finally decided to stay there. I have no major complaints about it. The only thing that discouraged me about the place is that the vast majority of the clientele appeared to be 60 and above. I'm in my 50's myself so I guess I don't have much room to complain but it would be nice to see a few young people walking around. After I was at Sam's Town for two days I took a trip over to the Imperial Palace and it was like night and day. Lots of young people. Lots of energy. The Imperial Palace made Sam's Town look like an old folks home.

Don't get me wrong. Sam's Town has a lot to offer. The casino floor is huge. Tons of slot machines. The buffet is above average (and cheap!). I ate at Billy Bob's Steakhouse one night and it was outstanding, if a bit pricey. My room was fine. Nice and clean. No bedbugs! It was on the small side but perfectly adequate.

The bottom line is that Sam's Town is a very good place to stay and play. It's nice and casual and tends to attract the older crowd. If you're looking for a relaxed atmosphere this is the place for you.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo