“I love this place.”

Sam's Town Hotel and Gambling Hall
Ranked #66 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed September 28, 2011

I’ve been going to Las Vegas for 27 years for business and to visit my mother. Over the years I’ve stayed everywhere on the strip and since finding Sams Town will never stay on the strip again.
The service, rooms, gaming, overall cost, and entertainment are wonderful.

Room Tip: Rooms facing in have a view of the waterfall/show and indoor garden.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Wayne C

Reviewed September 27, 2011

This may not be the most glamorous hotel/casino, but the people are just down-to-earth friendly and are genuinely interested in where you're from as to what you do and have done in life. Don't miss the Mystic Falls Show. It is refreshing, free and so different. I have been known to watch all four daily shows. The Casino is, well, a casino. It's the friendly people that add to the enjoyment. The rooms are comfortable and well kept.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 23, 2011

Booked a few nights prior to moving to another Boyd for a VP tourney. Check in line was pretty long for a Sunday a.m. There were several 'groups' staying at the Hotel. I used the remote check in kiosk off to the left of the check in desk, but it would not spit out a key so had to get in long line just to get key. Use the kiosk to save time, just swipe your credit card and confirm who you are and it should provide you a key. Room was on 6th floor overlooking the interior 'park'. The 'show' is a little lame if you are use to big time entertainment, they run it several times a day and we were trying to sleep for the 10p.m. one and it would keep you up. You can get a room on the other side, facing parking lots/streets and you won't hear the show. Ate at TGIFridays, never great but ok. Ate at Jose and Willys for mexican fare, service was great, food is average mexican. There is a Dunkin Doughnuts, McDonalds, Panda Express, so if you are with kids you can keep them entertained. They have bowling and movie theater. Gambling is always good at Boyd casinos...our saying this trip was 'Boyd's giveth, xyz taketh away'...Rooms are kept clean, bed and pillows not as good as they use to be. I actually found the brand name off their pillows a few years ago and bought one when I got home, Now they are just generic/cheapy pillows and mattress is not so soft.

Room Tip: They try and give you what/where you want, just be nice and ask.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Stayed here from Sep 8-15th, I stayed here based on these reviews. Everything was great from check in to ckeck out. Food and atmosphere were great, poker room was fun (Charlie the regular was great, as were Paul & Jerry & Steve). Made a guy from Canada feel welcome. Coming back to vegas in Jan, will try the Orleans next. One more thing, this hotel is geared mostly towards the senior crowd. I didn't mind since I like quiet surroundings. Don't hesitate to stay here.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Pierre L
Reviewed September 18, 2011

In a nutshell, Sam's Town offers some nice, basic accomodations with some very nice amenities you can't find elsewhere.

The rooms are on the upper end of the basic scale. They are bright and clean and always well-maintained. Nothing fancy - comfortable beds, regular TV sets (no flat screens in the standard rooms,) and the normal amenities. They work at what they are - normal hotel rooms. What makes Sam's Town one of my Vegas favorites is what's outside the rooms.

The centerpiece is Mystic Falls Park - a nine-story atrium running through the center of the hotel building. Standing at one end is Mystic Falls, the site of a nightly laser/light/water show. The park is a terrific oasis during any Vegas vacation. I slip out here for coffee in the morning taking refuge in one of the many chairs along the tree-lined paths. At night, I grab a table at the Ram's Head bar to watch the water show. (The show was recently updated with new lasers and lights and several new segments beyond the original Sunset Stampede and patriotic follow-up show.) Both Willie and Jose's Mexican Restaurant and Billy Bob's Steakhouse offer great food and views of the park. I highly recommend a patio seat at Willie and Jose's to give you a great view of the show. A bowling alley and movie theatre offer other entertainment options and their pool, while small by Vegas standards, is usually uncrowded and more than adequate.

The service at Sam's Town seems to get better with each trip. While it is a "locals" casino, the staff recognizes the need to cater to tourists and they go out of their way to make guests feel welcome. Employees greet you as you walk by and are quick to offer help if you appear to need it.

Unlike many things in Vegas, Sam's Town seems to keep getting better with age. I can't wait for my next trip.

Room Tip: Pay the extra few bucks for a Park View room - the outside views aren't that great.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank texaggiewv
Reviewed September 13, 2011

I stayed at Sam's Town, LV, from Aug 17-21 this year and had such a great time. For decades, I traveled to LV at least once a year, first staying on the Strip and then later loving Downtown, but I had not been back in over a decade. I had visited ST in the past, and enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere in the casino and grounds, but I had never stayed there. The reason for this trip was a little somber -- a "celebration of life" for an elderly aunt that lived a good, long life and loved ST Bingo. Her family (my cousins) lived on that side of LV so they recommended ST as a good place to stay.

I did not rent a car, but prebooked Showtime Tours LV for airport-to-hotel RT transportation for $38 total. The cars/vans were very clean, and the drivers were right on time and very friendly and informative. I will always use them if I go back to LV.

I arrived at ST around 3:30 pm on Aug 17 and was a little surprised to see quite a few people in line ahead of me on a Wed afternoon. However, this area is so nice and refreshing - listening to the waterfall and people-watching - that my ten minute wait flew by. The front desk staff - that day and many visits afterward - were very friendly, helpful, and always upbeat and positive. On check-in, I received many B1G1-free coupons for many of the restaurants so that was an extra unexpected treat.

I didn't have a Boyd VIP card so didn't expect any upgrades, but I was very pleased with the 9th floor room that I got. It didn't overlook the atrium, but it was very clean and upgraded (marble bathroom countertops, wide screen TV, great black out curtains, and very clean). The bed was as comfortable as my home bed and pillows were plentiful. The room was quite large and there were armchairs; the only thing that I could think of asking for is for at least one ottoman for the chairs. Petty complaint, right? :-) But my legs were really tired a couple of nights from walking this HUGE venue several times over the day.

Ok, to get back on topic to my title - single women traveling SOLO - if you are are worried about coming to LV and standing out on your own - COME TO ST! From what I could tell, single, local women of all ages are the NORM at ST/LV and also the same for men. I only play Blackjack and Video Poker, but not one employee (dealer, pit boss, bartender, cocktail waitress) or even a fellow player EVER asked me if I was traveling alone. I also went to the Buffet twice (alone) and the seating host did not consider my request for a single odd and made me feel very comfortable. Both times the host or the waitress would use the time to chat with me while they were keeping an eye on their other tables. GREAT training, ST management!

Understandably, I spent a lot of time away from ST while spending time with my Aunt's family, but I always was warmly welcomed back at ST. I was there for 1-1/2 days before a lot of the rest of the family got to town and shared my story with dealers and bartenders. I could not believe how many remembered that two days later when they stopped me and asked me how things had gone.

Ok this is getting quite long so let me wrap this up:

Restaurants:
Steak House - (Zagat Awarded): Excellent, but only got a meal to go. If it was this good back at the room, I can't imagine what it was like served at the table. I am sodium-intolerant and this was one of the best steak dinners I have had.

Mexican Restaurant - Interesting, and very good. Seems like an extended family runs this one, but they are very friendly. I wasn't too hungry so only ordered a taco salad takeout. The padre tried hard to talk me out of it, but I won. It was a good salad back at the room, but I'm sure their other entrees are better.

Buffet - very friendly waitstaff; food choice equivalent to good cruise ships.

Dunkin Donuts/Subway - So nice that they were both there! Visited them often early in the morning or late at night and staff was very friendly.

Bars - only spent some time at the bar near the tables and outside next to the waterfall, but all bartenders were friendly, chatty, and interested in us. Great bartender (sorry, can't remember his name) makes his own special blend Bloody Mary's. They change with every round, but they are good.

Last tips:
Make sure to stop at the B Connected Player Club Desk for your free player card before you ever throw a penny into the machines. You'll get discounts all over the property and maybe some comps later.

The salon at ST: OMG, how did I leave this to last?? I had a dermobrasion facial that included an hour of massage of shoulders, scalp, calves, feet and my face looked 5 years younger that night. Make sure you ask for the same person (Debbie, I think) that does THIS full dermo facial. It was the best <$100 treatment I have ever had in my life, and canceled my massage appointments. Friends and family commented on my skin once i was back home; usually a week in Vegas goes the other way with skin ;-)

Boyd Bus to Downtown - took it RT. Very prompt, be there on time. Very comfortable, nice drivers. I took it to get a cheaper cab ride to the new Outlet Mall in downtown ($6 one way). The mall is great, but outdoors, so if you hit it on a record-breaking heatwave like I did (107F) it may not be the best choice for an afternoon trip. Back from shopping, hit the Fremont (casino looks exactly like it did 10 years ago), and the California. If you are not from Hawaii you may feel a little out of place at the CA, but the staff is ok. Don't eat at the restaurant there.

McCarran Airport - I had a red-eye home to FL. Just note that there our lots or shops and restaurants, but on Sunday night, EVERYTHING closes at 10 PM. Not sure about the other nights.

Whew - that's all I can think of right now, but if you have questions specific to anything I've covered, please post. And have fun at Sam's Town Vegas if you're going, it's a great place for the over 50 crowd.

Room Tip: Ask for a room over the light show/waterfall, but I liked the quiet of my room away from that, too.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank SeaBrzJo
STLVMarketing, Marketing Director at Sam's Town Hotel and Gambling Hall, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2011

SeaBrzJo- Wow! Thanks for such a specific account of your visit to Sam's Town. I thank you so much for all of your kind remarks, and I wanted to write to let you know that I will share your comments with everyone here. We always appreciate feedback, both positive and negative, as it hleps us identify areas where we excel as well as those where we can strive to improve. I hope you decide to return to Sam's town again often and soon!

Best,
Melanie

Reviewed September 12, 2011

I had neve been to Sam's Town, I've stayed at other coast properties, so I was curious. The first thing that comes to mind is the staff, everyone here is very friendly, from the front desk, the restaurants, room service and casino, I mean every one, that's was a very positive start to my stay.
The first thing you notice is that there are many ( the vast majority) retired people here, so you expect it to be a fairly relaxed and quiet place, I don't know if it was because I was there on weekday, but it seemed quite tame, and I'm not saying that in a bad way, If you want to have agood time, and relax at the same time, this place is great. The atrium ( Mistic Falls), was very cool, with benches and seats all over the place, you can relax, read a book, talk with your significant other or just make new friends, the laser show is good. The room is good, smaller than the rooms at The Orleans, but it was clean, quiet, no frills, room.
I have a B Conected card, so I get some promos when I play the tables and slots. I didn't play any table games this time, but I did hit the slots, and had fun.
The buffet, specialy breakfast has a limited selection, it was ok.
The hotel is showing a bit of his age, but it's still a good place to relax. I would recomend it!.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business