“Nice but not worth a return”

Four Seasons Hotel Las Vegas
Ranked #1 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Walnut Creek, CA
“Nice but not worth a return”
Reviewed February 2, 2009

I am a devotee of Bellagio, but this year my stay happened to coincide with the Super Bowl which translated into no room at the inn for me. This is okay, sometimes change is good. Dropping four figures (a night) on a suite at the Wynn was too much for me to justify.

Arrived at the Four Seasons on a Thursday night – check in was flawless. Up to my suite on the 37th floor which from the floor plan and layout perspective was quite nice and super functional. However, both refrigerator and big TV weren't working. A call to engineering was answered very promptly and resolved the TV issue. The refrigerator….that never worked.

As others note here, the lobby is quite beautiful and the Verandah restaurant is a nice place to eat at any point in the day. Charlie Palmers is right next door. The pool is nice too, even though it was drained for (maintenance).

I submit my review because I don't see this complaint anywhere else and it drove me crazy enough to consider not returning to FS or even the Mandalay for that matter. Specifically, the reflective film on the floor to ceiling windows casts such a severe blue shaded light in the room it made me nauseous. I found I had to get out of the room by 11 a.m. because as the morning wore on, the more queasy I'd feel. No problem at night – but during the day – brutal. If you take a look at some of the pictures submitted by guests you'll see some of them are very BLUE. That's the camera catching the actual tint to the room – not a magic photography trick. I've never experienced that before in a high rise hotel and of course understand what the purpose is to the window film, but it really became uncomfortable. *Forget* applying or modifying your makeup in the room – from the color correctness perspective, it's impossible.

Little and admittedly silly room amenities were missing too – not critical to my stay but they add to my feeling pampered. All laundry, dry cleaning and shoe bags were plastic, no canvas or felt. The soaps, shampoo and lotions were so heavily scented with Bvlgari by day three I had to buy others from the gift shop. No nail kit, or freebie toothbrush and toothpaste. The glass tops to some of the tables didn't looked like they'd been cleaned well in the recent past.

On the positive side, the staff were all very friendly and the service was unmatched. Walking from the Four Seasons into the Mandalay takes two seconds. My daughter also worked out in the spa and they loaned her shoes, socks, shorts – all without charge. Very nice.

Echoing others, this is a lovely hotel to go and get away from the noise and craziness of Vegas. Not *once* did I hear noise from another room or in the hallway. That said, the visual weirdness will have me returning to Bellagio. I wouldn't consider this the tried and true "Four Seasons" resort.

• Liked — Quiet and customer service
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank BlondeandBlue99

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (825)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed February 1, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for a week, right before the holidays. In fact, we were here when Vegas had snow! What a sight that was.. So this was our first stay at the Four Seasons and I have to say, they do live up to their name as the quality and service of our visit was over the top. Yes, it is very expensive and you know the old saying, "If you have to ask the price, then you can't afford it". So this is not for those who are on a budget.
We had booked a moderate room and when we checked in, was offered to upgrade to a one bedroom suite. The room was beautiful and spacious and quiet! Never heard any of our neighbors the whole time we were there..
The Verandah was a nice place to have cocktails and a bite to eat.. No smoking or loud casino noises there, which was a nice retreat after going to different casinos. I have to say, the customer service is the best ever, with people always making sure every need is met.
I have been spoiled and can't imagine staying at any other hotel while I am in Vegas!

• Liked — quiet and comfortable
  • Disliked — I loved everything!
4 Thank schintz
Dallas
Reviewed January 31, 2009

We went to Las Vegas to celebrate my son's 21st birthday and to get away for a few days. Had not been to Vegas in 30 years & it has really changed. What we really enjoyed about the Four Seasons was that it was so quiet , beautiful and small. There is no casino in the hotel like the other hotels there. The Four Seasons is actually the top 5 floors of the Mandalay Hotel and the Mandalay has a casino. It is easy to reach the casino but the Four Seasons has it own entry so you never have to go through the casino if you don't want to.

Our rooms were very nice & the service/concierge was wonderful. We were able to find a very good rate/package on the Four Seasons website and that is how we booked our room. We had breakfast each day at the hotel restaurant & it was great.
It is very relaxing to go out to see the other hotels which are so crowded with people and smokers, etc & then come back to the lovely Four Seasons.

We also visited the Hoover Dam & took the tour where you go inside the dam workings. Then we drove over to Red Rock Canyon & took the drive through the canyon. It is a very short drive & very scenic.

If we went back to Las Vegas, we would definitely stay at the Four Seasons again.

• Liked — quiet, no smoking, very lovely hotel
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank Trip Advisor from Dallas, TX
Ladera Ranch
Reviewed January 15, 2009

The Four Season was very nice. However, EVERYTHING is EXPENSIVE and they nickle and dime you till you get armed and legged! The staff was just OK.

• Liked — The foyer.
  • Disliked — The prices.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank loanwriter
London
Reviewed January 10, 2009

It is an ok hotel. Not worth all the money paid. Not the best Four Seasons hotel either.

• Liked — Bed
  • Disliked — Lack of nice touches
3 Thank Zim12345
Boca Florida
Reviewed January 1, 2009

We have stayed at Wynn and Bellagio and decided to try the Four Seasons .It was excellent. From the minute we arrived the services was outstanding. Love Vegas and it was nice to stay in a hotel where there was no lines, no smoke and the staff attended to our every need. The Veranda Resturant is one of the best kept secrets. Went for dinner and food was great and we were shocked at the reasonable prices. The spa and the Sunday brunch are a do not miss. We are truely spoiled and will never stay any where else. We can't wait to go back!!!

• Liked — Outstanding Service
Rome
Reviewed December 11, 2008

Someone will disagree with my review, but my point is that an hotel should be reviewed regarding how luxurious it is (pretends to be) and how pricey it is.

While I can easily give a 5* to a 60$ nt motel showing itself surprisingly nice and clean with courteous staff and forgive some minor issues, the same issues can never be forgiven in a top class hotel.

I reserved a three nights stay (stay longer promo - 3rd night free) in a one bedroom suite. Rate was 650$ per night.

Check-in was perfect, staff absolutely amazing, a massive lobby well-appointed, and an upgrade to a sunrise/sunset suite.

The suite was absolutely perfect (about 1500 sq f.), an entry foyer with a large secondary bathroom and a very large living room. Living room has 3 floor to ceiling windows, on 3 different sides (this suite covers more than 180° view, being on the far end of the floor/building).

A walk-in closet, large bathroom with lots of amenities, bedroom. A kitchenette. 2 lcd tv (living room/bedroom). Nothing to say about the suite, but keep in mind it's rated 1800$ per night (!). Now, let's talk about issues. After check-in hotel requested a 1300$ authorization on my credit card, more than my final bill (I payed 1st night yet and 3rd was free). Maybe in US everyone normally has 5-6 credit cards, but in Italy (I think I could say in Europe) this is not usual, and an authorization remains as a lowered availability for 45 days. Luckily I have 2 c.c. with large availability, but a 2700$ charge (1300$ authorization, 650+taxes payed as 1st night and 650+taxes on check-out) was quite heavy. Not an issue but a wrong (imho) hotel policy.

On final bill I found 15$ "business center charge". They said "it's for parcels you've received here" (great service for this). I will never argue for a 15$ charge on a more than 1k$ bill and I didn't complain at all, but I think every charge should be showed before. I e-mailed the hotel asking for the possibility of receiving parcels, they answered "Yes,no problem", but never talked about charge. Anyway, not important.

No tv in bathroom, no jacuzzi. I can easily survive shaving in the morning without watching tv, and without bubbles too, but I found tvs in bathroom in the most part of major hotel strip (Media suite at MB, normal room at THE hotel, salon suite at Wynn, Fortuna suite at Palazzo, one bedroom suite at Palms Place, normal room at Trump, you just have to choose. That rooms are all rated 1/2 to 1/10 than sunrise/sunset at FS) and same about jacuzzi, so it's hard to think a 1800$ nt suite doesn't have this stuff.

I used internet tv access for a fee 1st day (and others). Wireless keyboard didn't work. I informed immediately front desk about it, but keyboard was not changed during my stay. Luckily, I found another one in bedroom 2nd day and I used that. 2nd sink in bathroom didn't work (water didn't flow at all). I informed front desk only on check-out, but it's hard to think a sink become obstructed in a day, and no one informed front desk about this before. Anyway, it's possible.

On 2nd day I used trash bin under sink in kitchenette (coffee filter, sugar pack, paper). The next day, after housekeeper cleaned room, trash bin was still full (I would say I tipped 10$ every morning, I'm a very organized person and room was generally very tidy when I went out every morning, so this shouldn't be an issue).

On 1st day, I had my coffee in a cup (two were in the kitchen). Housekeeper took it but didn't replace. On 2nd day I had my coffee in the second cup. On 3rd day, I didn't have my coffee because there were no cups left (never replaced). That's all. Maybe they're not big issues (I've said it). But I asked myself what I would have thinked, after paying 1800$ nt for a suite, finding a full trash bin reentering in room and other things noted (and my 1400$ total for 3 nts weren't that bad too to deserve this...).

• Liked — Large, beautiful suite
  • Disliked — Too much issues for price paid
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo