“I'd go again in a heartbeat - but...”

Rio All-Suite Hotel & Casino
Ranked #103 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersSilver level
A TripAdvisor Member
“I'd go again in a heartbeat - but...”
Reviewed November 23, 2004

Near the top of my list -
Just checked out. It's slow out here this week and the rates were good at the Rio so I tried it. I come out here every week to work, so I've been at several of the hotels out here. I thought the Rio was a great hotel with nice views, pleasant staff, and very large, well decorated huge rooms with king bed, wall to wall floor to cieling windows, large sectional sofa, marble and glass coffee table, seperate closet area, two sinks, fridge, safe.
I visited the Voodoo lounge at about 12:30 am on a Tuesday night and the place was pretty lively which is more than I can say for club Ra at Luxor. The bartender (Kenny) introduced me to a 60 year old Tequila (rare out here) that really impressed me. Did not have time this trip for any of the restaurants but trusted that they would be what I expected.
To cold for the pool, and the one down side of the place is that the exercise room is connected to the Spa which they want $20/day (each person) - that's what lost them the final star on my rating.
Overall, I really liked the place and when I get a chance I will check in again, but the workout charge will keep me from making it a regular stay.
The casino wasn't nearly as noisey or smokey as many I've had to walk through. I seldom gamble so that's all I can say. If you get a premium room (strip view) try to get above the 20th floor (or at either end of the hallway or you may have the big RIO neon sign to look at. It's not distracting at all when you're awake, but I had to close the curtains before trying to sleep. Still, it was a great view.
You'll need a taxi or the shuttle to get back and forth to the strip, it's not far, but I wouldn't walk it.
If you like blues, Rio is only about a mile from the Sandollar Lounge - in my opinion, Vegas' best blues bar. I was there Monday night for their open Jam session (a very unique experience). Got really good after midnight. Be aware though that the Sandollar is not a general tourist oriented bar, it's a local place with some of everybody there, bikers, old, young, etc - It was a nice mix of people. I was there in a suit and was comfortable - the show was great, the drinks were cheap.

Rio is a very cool place, but they gotta kill the workout charge.

• Stayed November 2004, traveled on business
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,197)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed November 20, 2004

It's the Rio, and I for one will not be returning.

As soon as we walked in the door I knew I'd be glad to leave. The music was turned up too loud and (early in the evening) the place was already permeated with smoke.

They didn't have the room I reserved. I booked a kingsize, they gave me 2 queens (though why someone would want 2 queens in a room for 2 people is beyond me). Apparantly the website indicates they don't actually hold the room but neither the person taking my reservation on the phone, or the receipt had any such information.

The room was somewhere south of acceptable. A jar of rancid milk was left sitting outside our room (presumably from the last guests, or just a nearby room who no longer wanted it near their door?) for our entire two day stay. For it's "suite" nature, the whole bathroom area was pretty cramped, though having the two sinks was admittedly a nice touch.

Downstairs, no matter how much others rave about the "masquerade in the sky" it's just a bunch of carts on wheels filled with folks who, when it's dark, do something that almost passes for dancing. Not enough to impress me, and definitely not enough to warrant the very optimistic "best free show" label that is so lavishly applied to the spectacle.

The breakfast buffet was reasonable, but having been greated with "welcome to the best buffet in vegas" I quickly discovered the untruth which had just been spoken. It was good but definitely not the best. Perhaps things improve later in the day? The desserts were the saving grace of the place (the tiramasu in particular was quite delicious), but really -- how many can you eat for breakfast?

The casino felt like it was filled with a bunch of middle-aged folks wanting desperately to relive their boozy college days. If that's your scene then by all means flock on over; if it's not (as I quickly assertained for myself) then stay away.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

Fairfield, California
Reviewed November 20, 2004

After reading all 96 reviews in Trip Advisor for the Rio, we left for a friend's wedding with our fingers crossed and some concern.

There was no need for the concern. The room was spotless, the furniture was in great condition. The front desk staff were great, housekeeping was friendly and professional: they took care of small details that meant alot. There was no problem with the room in terms of any odors, other guest's garbage and hair, etc., as some of the reviews we read had indicated we could expect. All the parts of the Rio I saw were in great shape!

The food at the Carnaval Buffet, the Mexican restaurant and the Japanese/Chinese Restuarant were tasty and the service attentive. The shrimp tempura at Hamada's was incredibly tender - the best I have ever had.

Gambling - I don't, but my husband does. Because we had read the reviews, he headed over to the Gold Coast early on and won -- then returned to the Rio and won twice!! I enjoyed the variety of stores at the Rio. We both enjoyed the free show in the Masquerade area - it passes over your head and is really fun. I read that for a fee, you can be part of this show and we may try it next time.

When you arrive, try to join the Total Rewards program. You get a good coupon book and beads. Remember to have fun!

And remember, what energy you put into something is what you get out of something - so if you expect good, you can find good. And if you don't know what to expect, you can still find good!

My husband also visited Harrahs, and then went to the car exhibit at the Imperial Palace, and just totally enjoyed his adventure.

The friends' wedding took place on the terrace outside the VooDoo Lounge on the 51st Floor of the Rio. We had a view of most of the valley - and were 50 storeys closer to heaven than usual. It was a memorable wedding.

Would we return to the Rio? Yes. But we are more likely to go to Reno - being train buffs we can get to Reno by train from here.

4 Thank 1Spats
Champaign,Illinois
Reviewed November 4, 2004

Shuttle running every 15 minutes to Harrah's saved us a fortune in Cab fare, never a long line & never waited more than 5 minutes for shuttle. My wife attended a conference here & the Customer Service by the convention staff was wonderful, made sure everyone was comfortable & the meeting rooms were spotless. The Carnival buffet is a must, great food/selection/staff, eat a light lunch if heading here for dinner. The masquerade in the sky show was awesome, and be sure and stay until the end for the free beads. We had requested a high floor room with 1 king, and arrived at our room to find 2 doubles, the desk staff found us another room in the masquerade tower on the 18th floor with a King, and a breathtaking view. We arrived at the Hotel before 10 a.m. & rooms were not available, the bellhop held our bags & delivered them upon arrival in our suite, and gave us nearly a 10 minute list of the shows & hotels to visit. The management at the Rio is to be commended on their Customer Service training they give to their staff. Looking for a hotel with no service, bad food, and a lousy atmosphere, then don't stay here.

6 Thank pdawg88
Reviewed October 27, 2004

We had arranged company trade outs so our associate's hotel stay would be free, but even free was not worth the hassel we experienced. The front desk and management charged her $1000 for phone calls she could not possibly have made, as she was working at our store the whole time. When I asked for the list of dates and times, they were happy to provide them. However, when I mentioned I had proof via receipts that she was in a totally different place when the calls were made, all the manager, Charles, said was that somebody made the calls. That was my point- that somebody not being her. The hotel would not let her leave without charging the $1000, even though we had proof in black and white! All they said was that they would investigate it. How about doing an internal theft investagation of your staff? They certainly had no problems coming into rooms unannounced- as the associate said they walked in on her changing several times.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
West Seneca, NY
Reviewed October 19, 2004

We just stayed five nights at the Rio and attended the AARP convention in Las Vegas. The rooms were extremely clean and spacious. The caffe provided large portions of delicious food (even late in the evening) The Buffet has one of the largest variety of foods and was excellent. We really enjoyed watching the Scinta's Show that is appearing at the RIO. While gambling, they did have waitresses walking by to provide beverages and even bottled water to those at the tables or machines which was a nice convenience. The pool was clean, well maintained, and provided an amble supply of towels. There is a shuttle between the RIO and Harrahs giving us a great opportunity to visit the strip. We had a great time - would highly recommend this hotel.

4 Thank rich53
Reviewed September 15, 2004

We recnetly stayed 2 free nights at the Rio. The room was fabulous. We had a great view of the strip from the Masqerade Tower. The only problem we experienced was that the refrigerator in the room hardly kept things cold. We received free tickets to see Ron Lucas. However, Ron was out that day and he was replced by comedian/magician James Hobson? He was lame at best. Thank goodness it was free. The Rio has high limits on all of their table games and their slots seem extremely tight. We have never won here and this trip was no different. We walked across the street to the Gold Coast and our luck quickly changed. The Rio's pool area is fabulous. The only downfall is that you have to walk through a large part of the casino to get there. Overall, the stay was okay, but the gambling here stinks.

• Stayed August 2004