“WORST Customer Service EVER!”

Rio All-Suite Hotel & Casino
Ranked #104 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Virginia Water, United Kingdom
“WORST Customer Service EVER!”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Prior to booking the hotel we called to check there would be free WIFI included in our price for 4 devices and were advised yes! On arrival we found out not only was this untrue but they REALLY didn't care that one of their staff had relayed false information. We had the displeasure of meeting the front of house manager who clearly has had no training and should not be working in hospitality.

Next problem - the room! We booked a non-smoking room but upon entering the room it was clear someone had been smoking in it so back to check-in to change rooms which took 1 hour.

Next problem - 'We serve freshly squeezed juice made by our orange press machine in Hash Diner' said a cheerful member of staff on the phone so we ventured here for breakfast. Guess What... the Orange Juice came from a carton, NOT impressed.

Next problem - 'This food is 100% vegetarian' - Why are you cooking it in the same pan you just cooked the bacon in then?! Seriously... WOW! Food hygiene NEED to visit!

Next problem - 'Stamps can be found in the gift shop' according to the Concierge they can but there were none to be found in the gift shop!

Clearly the staff inc. management have a severe problem with telling the truth!

DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL! YES IT WAS OKAY 12 MONTHS AGO... NOW IT IS AWFUL!!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
6 Thank LuxuryTraveller111
TotalServiceTeam, Guest Relations Manager at Rio All-Suite Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Please accept our sincere apology for the quality of service you encountered during your stay. There is certainly no excuse for you not to receive the best service we have. We certainly could have done a better job trying to accommodate you. Your comments will be shared with the appropriate department heads in order to prevent future recurrences. Your business is appreciated. We hope you will allow us to serve you again in the future, so you can experience the truly great service we are capable of providing.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,102)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Rio is located along Flamingo Road, not too far from the strip. Our room was in the Ipanema Tower. It overlooks the pool area. It was clean and the mattresses are firm and comfortable. Our room had a refrigerator, a Keurig coffee maker and a bar. The hotel and the casino are buzzing with lots of activities all day. You can either choose to shop, play the tables or slots, watch a live band, go to one of the shows or eat eat eat. Rio is known for its sumptuous seafood buffet like no other in Las Vegas. There are other restaurants inside the hotel if you don't feel like eating or stuffing yourself too much. The hotel runs a shuttle between Rio and Harrah's on the strip. The hotel is also very close to Chinatown.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Zenaida L
hood river
Reviewed March 5, 2014

We have stayed at the Rio before and looked forward to it. This time I was disappointed. The rooms need maintenance, i.e. peeling wall paper. needs paint. Just a tired appearance. Three mornings no coffee in the room and only one soap, shampoo, per day. In fact the whole casino could use a face lift. Food seemed very expensive for what you got and not enough places to sit in the restaurants. The slot bar service is good however. One person takes the orders and another one brings them. It seems very quick and efficient. It was better before they charged the resort fee of $20.00. I could see no improvements for the extra charge.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank gorgegalHoodRiver
Thank you for the review. We were sorry to hear of your disappointment. We are committed to providing the quality service our valued customers expect and deserve. We greatly look forward to your return and our next opportunity to show you how much we enjoy having you as our guest!

Travelers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

Pa.
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We go to Vegas every few years and spend at least a few nights here...We spent our first few nights at the Luxor. It exceded my expectations...sadly not the Rio...the first room we were given was shabby at best , stained couch and bad lighting...we had a view of the roof. We complained and we were promptly moved to higher room with just slighly better furnishings.We called to see if Total Rewards would let us change to a different hotel without much luck..We tried to make the best of it except we found out that that ALL outside areas were closed for painting....I couldnt even find a spot to read a book and enjoy the great weather...this was NOT disclosed at the time of booking. The casino which I remember as colorful and vibrant was dark and dinghy. The great Mardi Gras show no longer exists and it was always one of the highlights of our visits. The slots were NOT updated and more than a few not in working order...not good in a town with so many other options.My only positive is the food....Every buffet was phenomenal... One of the best in town.....The Grill was having kitchen difficulties the whole time we were there so the eating options were limited if you didnt want an expensive sit down dinner. Sadly the Rio is crossed off the list. Our vacation dollars are too precious to be wasted on this disappointment.

Room Tip: pick high and newer...not the ipanema tower
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank bobolyn
TotalServiceTeam, Guest Relations Manager at Rio All-Suite Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry to hear of your poor experience. We are constantly working to ensure each guest has a memorable experience and your feedback will help us with this process. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future!
Texas
Reviewed March 3, 2014

We arrived for a business trip on Tuesday and checked out on Friday morning. We arrived by cab, intending to just stay at the Rio the whole time, working from 8-5 and then dining in the hotel. We are not gamblers nor do my husband and I care alot for the show atmosphere or Las Vegas in general. This was going to be a true business trip.

When we checked in, we inquired about the beds as we had reserved a King in the tower with a view. When we arrived, we were told this room type was unavailable and that we could only have a King if we went to the Masquerade Tower which we agreed to do. We were also told that we were being given an 'accessible' room with a walk-in shower to accommodate our request for a King bed. I felt bad about that, what if someone who needed a room like this checked in and it wasn't available for them? Anyhow, it was on the 4th floor and upon exiting the elevator, we knew immediately we were on the 'pet friendly' floor. Lots of yipping and barking throughout our stay was less than welcome.

We knew we were in trouble by Tuesday night. Having arrived mid-day, we had attended education sessions all afternoon and after boarding the plane in the wee hours of the morning to catch these sessions, we were dog tired, ready for a good meal and bed. We had checked the luggage with the bell hop earlier in the day so the bags were delivered and we were hungry.

We had passed several restaurants inside the hotel during the afternoon and had decided that we'd try to find perhaps a good steak for dinner. We were SO out of luck! As of about 8 pm on Tuesday night, this behemoth property had no natural gas. We were told that they had had some sort of emergency and that the 'fire department had shut off the gas' and that they were 'working on it'. We settled for a salad and cold sandwich.

Then, off to bed. Where I encountered the damnedest little pillows I've ever seen. Square, extremely puffy and VERY difficult to sleep on. I was tired and made do, sleeping without a pillow.

The next unpleasant surprise was the next morning when I discovered that while we had a Keurig coffee maker in the room, there was no coffee. Calling the front desk, I was informed that the coffee was in the Mini Bar. A quick check and sure enough, there it was. $8.00 per container! Off to the inhouse Burger King we went where we found hot coffee and a hot breakfast. We still don't know how they did that without gas, being all flame broiled and everything, but we weren't asking. We had to get downstairs to get to work.

By noon we were hungry and again settled for salads in the concessions area of their convention center. Stepping into the beautiful Las Vegas afternoon to find a table, we were assaulted by cigarette smoke so thick it nearly gagged me. Seriously, I'm a former smoker, but this nicotene guantlet would have been too much for the Old Marlboro Man himself. We retired to the show floor, where we found a table and some new friends.

That night, following a cocktail mixer for our group where they had 2 brands of beer and passed corn dogs, we were hungry for some real food. We ended up taking a cab with another couple in search of hot food as the hotel still didn't have their gas problem resolved.

This is when we learned that it wasn't an emergency, but planned maintenance on the gas system as evidenced by the fact that they had managed to equip two of their restaurants to serve private parties that night. After a convo with the manager, I made the decision to write this review. If he had offered some coffee, a voucher for a meal when the gas came back on, even an APOLOGY, this review probably would read much differently. Instead, he just told me there was nothing he could do and maintained the emergency story, even though the staff was telling us all a very different story. I was pissed!

The next morning found us back at good ol' Burger King for coffee and a cinnamon roll before heading back down to work. At lunch, we did find that the Hash House A Go Go was open and serving warm food. We were so happy!

Finally, after a tedious few days, fitful sleep without a pillow, no in-room coffee (yea, I know we COULD have paid the $8/cup, but at that time, I wasn't about to give them the satisfaction of raping us for that), we found a good hot meal on our last evening.

The Rio has seen the last of us. While the association has already planned to go back next year, right now, we're thinking we just won't go if it means suffering this property again. Otherwise, we'll stay nearby and just walk or take a cab to get there for the conference.

I know it is hard to run a hotel and I understand that it is a job that many times, is thankless. BUT when you have a manager literally sneer at you over your concerns, well, that just rips it for me. I will never spend another night in this hotel. Never!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank KOSTx
TotalServiceTeam, Guest Relations Manager at Rio All-Suite Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Please accept our sincere apology for any disappointment you experienced and the quality of service you encountered from our Front Desk staff. There is certainly no excuse for you not to receive the best service we have. We certainly could have done a better job trying to accommodate you. Your comments will be shared with our Hotel Operations Director in order to prevent future recurrences. Your business is appreciated. We hope you will allow us to serve you again in the future, so you can experience the truly great service we are capable of providing.
Dallas, TX
Reviewed March 3, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for two nights when we went to Vegas recently. The only reason we decided to stay at the Rio was because we had tickets for Penn and Teller the first night and that is where they do their show. Our flight landed around 1:15pm. So, we were at the hotel by 2:00. Check in time is 4:00. We stood in the queue waiting for someone at the front desk to become available to help us. The front desk is definitely under staffed. When we were waiting in line, an employee came up to us, I guess to hand out discount tickets to things. But, she informed us that they charge an early check in fee of $20. She said if you check in only an hour early, the fee is only $10. We wanted to get into the room and relax as we had been traveling since 4:30am. Eventually, we were helped. The person checking us in reiterated the spiel about the early check in fee. My husband let her know that he thought that was pathetic. We’ve stayed in hotels all around the country and in Europe and we have never been asked to pay a fee to check in early. Anyway, she got the manager who refused to wave the fee but we were told we got a “room with a view” as compensation. You know what we had a view of? The humongous neon hotel sign! I kid you not. There was a better view in the hallway near the elevators. The room was nice enough. But, you could not remotely say that what we had was “a room with a view”.
When I booked the hotel, I got a rate of $60 a night which I thought was a good deal. But, then they tack on an additional $22.50 per day resort fee to have access to their exercise room. In their defense, I was told about the resort fee when I booked the room. So, that was no surprise. And, the exercise room has a lot of equipment and the hot tubs looked nice enough. So, if you actually use the facility, it might be worth the fee. But, they had separate hot tubs in the men’s/women’s locker rooms and my husband and I wanted to use one together. So, neither of us bothered using those. So, when all is said and done, the finally tally for the room with fees and taxes was almost $100 a night.
The second night, we didn’t feel like taking a cab to pick up a bottle of wine. So we went to their gift shop and bought an over-priced bottle. They sold waiter’s cork screws that you can buy anywhere for $3-$4 for $10. And, knowing that we wouldn’t be able to take it back home on the plane with us because it had a knife on it, we asked her if she could just open it for us. She said no it’s against the law. In a town where prostitution is legal and people can walk around the city with open containers of alcoholic beverages, she can’t open a bottle of wine for us?. Go figure! So, we went back to the room and I said I’d just call the front desk and see if they have one we can use. She transferred me to room service and I was told that they would deliver one to us for a $3.00 charge. I said OK. A half hour later, still no wine opener. I walked up and down the halls and didn’t see a soul. I called back room service and she was quite curt with me and told me that he was on the way he was just delivering some food and he’d be right there. Another 10 minutes go by and still no room service guy. So, I start walking the halls again trying to find him. I finally ran into him and got the cork screw. It’s one of those cheap plastic ones that you need the upper body strength of a gorilla to open a bottle of wine! I may be dating myself, but I remember the day when the front desk gave that type of wine opener away for free.
Needless to say, we won’t be staying at the Rio again. I don’t know if every hotel in Vegas nickels and dimes you to death like that. But, as my husband said, it’s pathetic.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank RG_Dallas
We really appreciate your comments. We were sorry to hear that the service you experienced on your recent visit failed to meet your expectations. We hope you will allow us to serve you again in the future, so you can experience the truly great service we are capable of providing.
Reno, Nevada, Usa
Reviewed March 3, 2014

I used to love this place but on my last trip to vegas I stayed at Rio and I was very disappointed. I don't think my room had been updated since the hotel was built. the room size is great but the furniture and and room décor was very old. the casino also could use a facelift as well.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
We apologize for your disappointment in our product on your last visit. Please be assured, we share your concern about anything that may detract from your experience at our property; we want nothing more than for you and all our guests to feel comfortable during your visit. We have shared your comments with our Hotel Operations Management to ensure these problems are being addressed and corrected. Your comments will certainly help us to improve the process. We hope you will allow us to serve you again in the future.