“Heavy smokers only”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Fort Lupton, Colorado
“Heavy smokers only”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

This is the second year I've stayed here for a conference. For $139/night (reduced conference rate??) I got a room that was clean but dated. Got up to make some coffee--like I do at every other hotel in the country and the instructions called for buying the coffee in the minibar. No coffee in minibar but at $8 I wouldn't have bought it anyway. And no free internet--it was $14/day and almost non-functional. The only place we didn't have a long wait for a restaurant was at the Burger King--and that's the truth. And give me a break--$5 just to print a boarding pass? Every other hotel in this country does this for free (Ok, maybe not the ones related to the Rio). And can't more than one elevator out of 6 work during the busy times? I'm all for saving a few bucks when things are slow but having to wait for 2 or 3 elevators before being able to squeeze in one?

And please staff, don't respond with one of your canned responses to negative comments--this just shows your lack of personal attention to complaints.

Green Features: They, like all hotels these days, tout environmental reasons to reuse your towels but is it really for that reason or to save a few bucks? Help the environment and give me a clear, smoke free path from registration to the elevator.
1 Thank MikeSimone53
TotalServiceTeam, Manager at Rio All-Suite Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Hello Mr. Simone, I am sorry to hear that your visit with us was not without disappointment and I completely understand your frustration with the elevators, internet and the lack of supplies in the mini bar. I will be sharing your comments with our Hotel Operations Team to address the internet and mini bar issues and the elevator problems will be sent to our Engineering Team. While I realize the fees that you mentioned may not be charged at hotels outside of Las Vegas, I assure you that they are standard here. Mr. Simone, I hope that you will accept my apology and know that we take customer comments seriously rather positive or negative. Thanks again for writing.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,186)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Hertford, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2014

If I could also give it a minus rating, I would.

The staff are completely unhelpful, uncaring and useless, even when dealing with an emergency. The rooms in the old part of the hotel and shabby and smelly. It's not close to the strip at all either - stay somewhere else where the staff care, the rooms are nicer and you're closer to the strip!

2 Thank Bobbylimbo
We really appreciate your comments. We were sorry to hear that the service you experienced on your recent visit failed to meet your expectations. We hope you will allow us to serve you again in the future, so you can experience the truly great service we are capable of providing.

Travelers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

Indian Trail, North Carolina
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Rio all suites hotel is a great place to stay. Great atmosphere, fun casino, great rooms with a great view, wonderful food, great shows, just an all around great place. Will stay here time and time again.

• Stayed January 2014
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed January 19, 2014

There's not too much on the good side for this hotel. If we wanted to get a deal/coupon for any of the restaurants/shows on site we had to leave our hotel and get them at other hotels therefore encouraging us to leave and go to another hotel to enjoy any kind of savings. At least they had a free shuttle that was supposed to run on the half hour every hour if the driver didn't decide to leave 5 minutes early it worked out great. And once we got to the other hotels we found all kinds of places to eat at a good deal. All the food establishments at the hotel were outrageously priced. We were on the 10th floor in the back facing the mountains that were lovely to look at when the sun came up which you got to do every morning because you were awake due to the hotel loading and unloading their trucks starting at 3 a.m. every morning. The pool was closed due to it being a seasonal amenity which was fine but there were no outdoor or indoor lounging areas and being from Canada 67 F is very warm for us. We had 4 days of warm sunny weather but had to go off site to relax in the sun. The "famous" rooftop lounge costs $20.00 US/woman and $30.00 US/man just to get in the door. After touring the other hotels we came to the conclusion it would have been better to pay a little extra to stay at one of the hotels we toured.

Green Features: The hotel including the room was very clean. Smoking is allowed in the casino part only but the smell of smoke is throughout the building. Other hotels we visited did not have the smell as strong and I'm a smoker.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Boney33
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

I have just returned for a 6 night visit for my 40th birthday. This was my first time staying off the strip so I was a little worried. Bit for the most past it was an amazing stay. I will give a list of pro's and cons that both my friends and myself have seen.
Pro's:
1. Nice clean big rooms
2. Very friendly staff
3. Love Penn & Teller
4. Free shuttles to the strip every 1/2 hr from 8am-1am
Con's
1. The casino was really smokey compared to others
2. Lack of places to eat we found ourselves walking to the Palms to eat lunch most days.
All and we found the Rio to meet our needs and enjoyed the stay

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rsb0210
San Fran
Reviewed January 18, 2014

The RIO offers the best value with close to strip access. The rooms are large and works for entertaining and business work. I would recommend the RIO to anyone looking to maximize value! Just make sure you stay away from the train tracks.

1 Thank semimu
Bracebridge, Canada
Reviewed January 18, 2014

First time to vegas. I came just to see Celion Dion, and just as the saying goes, nothing is free in vegas. Checked in, they couldn't find my reservation in the computer because they spelt my last name wrong and they hadn't corrected it even when I showed them my id.
Watch out for the sales people, before u even get up to your room, they're trying to sell you a condo to the other hotels. If you have a couple of hours to give to sit through there sales pitch. My aunt and I signed up for it and the free show we were to see, turned out to be on a day we couldn't make it. So we cancelled out and got our 40.00 deposit back.

Bathroom had mold in the shower, room big but outdated. It was in there off season and they placed us in a room that was right above the shipping and receiving area trucks were unloading at 5:00 a.m. each morning. Asked for a upgrade when we checked in but wanted to charge 20.00 more per night. No roof top zip line. Roof top restaurant cover charge of 20.00 women 30.00 men.

Buffet very expensive 32.00 per person. Had to eat off site everyday. Coffee maker in your room, the coffee costs 8.00 so bring your own. Asked for coupon's at the front desk they didn't have any, but when we visited other hotels on the strip we got some. No free internet service, pool was closed it was 68oc there. Nowhere to even sit outside in the warm weather so we went to the strip and sat at the other hotels and spent our money.

Seek out the Secret Pizza, excellent pizza worth the money.

Check in staff not very friendly. Spoke to the Manager about hotel coupons he didn't care if we went elsewhere to spend our money. You would think that they would encourage you to spend your money where you were staying.

Room Tip: Ask no to stay at the back of the hotel.