“Better than I remember”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Bullhead City, Arizona
“Better than I remember”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

I did not write a too favorable review the last time we stayed at the Rio but changed my mind this time around. For some reason our stay was really great. The room was very roomy with the usual amenities and what really impressed me this time around was the variety of restaurants available on property. It was very cold so can't say too much about the pool and such, but all in all it was a very nice stay.......................and I'm not saying this because I did well on the casino floor...just the opposite....LOL.

We also took advantage of the free shuttle to the strip....Harrah's and Bally's. It was actually quite convenient.

Green Features: all Caesar's properties are very environmentally aware and do a good job.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,795)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Coppell, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

We recently stayed at the Rio based on the great price and because my boyfriend had always stayed there. We found the great rate for $45 and were charged an extra $20 for hotel resort fee which didn't amount to anything we needed, free Wi-Fi for one device per day? We tried getting in line for check in and seemed like it took forever since we couldn't check in before that time or we would of had to pay $20 extra. We also thought it was a fun place to stay for the entertainment of the Mardi Gras show in the main casino area and were disappointed that the show was no longer a part of the hotel. The hotel didn't offer many restaurant selections and after looking around all night and hungry, we ended up eating at the Burger King Bar and paid $24.00 or two. Of course, the Burger King was right next to the Chippendale dancers where kids can see all the posters around of half naked men. The room was nice and big and the bed was comfortable. I noticed the shower needed some caulking since there looked like mold around the tub and found a long black hair hanging around the doorway. Do not plan to stay there anymore, very disappointed.

Room Tip: Corner suite
Green Features: Seemed to be ok, they want you to re-use your towels
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
TotalServiceTeam, Guest Relations Manager at Rio All-Suite Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. It was truly disheartening to hear of your dissatisfaction while you were our guest. Please accept our apology for the disappointment and inconvenience you experienced during your stay. We will work on ensuring all our guests have a memorable experience.

Travelers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

We stayed here from 11/23 to 11/30. We had an updated Samba Suite room which was nice. Updated furniture, carpet and TV. My husband enjoys that they have a Keurig coffeemaker in the room. The room was clean and spacious. We also like that the room includes a safe as well.

The food at this hotel was overpriced. We really enjoy the buffet but it has gone up to around $31 for dinner. That is just really pricey and it isn't really gourmet food. (I could see paying a high price if it was high end food) We also tried the Sports Deli. It was good food but also overpriced.

Now for the problem. Towards the end of our trip we saw on the local news that there were 23 people sickened while staying at the Rio. On Friday we didn't hear anything more in the news and we never heard anything from the Hotel directly. Saturday morning we checked out and headed home. Saturday night my husband develops a fever, chills, nausea and vomiting. On Sunday I look online to see if I could find anything new and there was a newer news story saying there were now nearly 100 people sickened. Monday I called the Rio to let them know he was sick and to see if they had any details on the situation. I spoke to one of the Front Desk Managers. She was basically useless. I asked her why they didn't inform their guests about the illness and she told me they had "letters" available at the front desk. I asked her how I would know that there was a letter at the front desk to read about it if nobody told me. She said I should talk to Security to file an incident report. I tried to explain to her that the right thing to do would have been for them to notify their guests (either slide a letter under the door or send a voice mail out hotel wide via the voicemail system - like they did on Black Friday to announce a sales special at the Spa) that a group visiting was sick with a "Stomach" bug and give the guests tips to prevent it, maybe even distribute hand sanitizer or something. So I talked to Security and they took the report. Then after talking to them I realized that they didn't really care about their guests or my concerns so I called the Southern Nevada Health District. When I spoke to them they said that since we were NOT part of the football group that was sick, they wanted us to fill out a survey to help them investigate (they said other guests that were ill that were not part of the football group should also contact them as well - It was the department of epidemiology). I also expressed my concern to them about the hotel not communicating the situation to it's guests.

Bottomline for me...I think the hotel had a responsibility to let it's guests know what was going on ASAP to try to help prevent this illness from spreading. Sadly they failed.

Room Tip: If you have never been to Vegas, ask for a Strip View room.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

My friend and I stayed 2 days for my birthday last month. It was a huge surprise to be going so far away from home! We stayed at the RIo and I highly recommend it! Clean spacious rooms, friendly staff, including the Taxi Stand staff who had taxi's available at just a whistle. Great restaurants including the burger spot on the main floor. They don't do the stage show anymore, as it was getting too expensive to replace the hanging props.
Yes, its off the strip, but at least I didn't have lights flashing all night long in our window.
A huge variety of shops, slots, tables, food and clubs.
The only thing I didn't like was that in our room, the TV was very dark and two lamps were leaning like the tower of Pisa. That didnt take away from the experience, but I just wanted to mention that.
If you are looking for value and feel like a million bucks, Please, stay here!! i walked into the bathroom and it felt like a mansion's bathroom. Nice, clean, bright, and spacious.

Room Tip: Strip Side, fourth floor was excellent. An okay view, no street noise, or flashy lights.
Green Features: I would have liked to smell less of the cigarette smell on the main floor, Maybe an update of the ventilation system would be good.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Lafayette, Indiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

Stayed for 6 nights for a conference that was held at the hotel. I was actually quite impressed with the conference facilities -- spacious meeting rooms with good acoustics, tasty catered lunches that were set up efficiently so there was minimal wait in the buffet line. But the rest of the hotel experience was just awful.

1) Rooms are in desperate need of renovation. They're spacious suites, and are kept clean, but they are so dated. Drab furniture looks very 1990s, ugly upholstery that all clashes (drapes, carpet, drape-like thing above bed), crusty old shower head like you'd find in a really slummy apartment, and super-fat pillows that jack your head up. Shower runs cold about 50% of the time, even when turned to the hottest possible setting.

2) The hotel claims to be pet-friendly, but they really are not. The pet fee is an outrageous $75/night. The pet rooms are all on the same floor, which is cool, but it's very inconvenient to a pet relief area. There are two pet relief areas in the hotel. One requires a walk halfway across the casino floor. The other requires two elevator rides and an escalator ride, in addition to a good quarter-mile walk dispersed between the elevators and escalators. This is extremely inconvenient for anyone with a pet.

3) They charge for EVERYTHING. I guess this isn't surprising for Las Vegas, but this place just doesn't deliver on what they charge. There's a $20 early check-in fee if you show up before 4:00 PM -- even after requesting early check-in. There's a $14/day fee for WiFi on top of a $20/day "resort fee". And of course, the WiFi is terribly unreliable.

4) The casino has limited game options. I'm not much of a gambler, but I like video roulette. They don't have any video roulette machines at the Rio. How can they not have something so commonplace?

5) The restaurants are pathetic, and service is nonexistent. The worst service was at the Carnival World buffet, where we waited 10 minutes to be seated in a half-full (at most) restaurant after paying! Numerous tables were open, and just 3-4 people were walking around the buffet, but they just wouldn't seat us. We finally realized we'd never get seated, so we requested a refund and left.

6) One of the elevators in my tower wasn't working properly, and it took the hotel 2 days to notice and jam a trash bin between the doors. Yup, instead of REPAIRING the elevator, they just stuck a trash can to prevent the elevator from closing/moving.

Would not recommend anyone to stay here. While I'd happily return for a conference here, I'll always stay at another hotel and commute here for the conference/meetings.

Green Features: No recycling! My conference had plastic water cups ('1' recyclable) in every room and hallway. Trash bins were quickly filled with these cups. They should have had recycle bins for these cups instead of trashing them.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank stargirlssc
TotalServiceTeam, Manager at Rio All-Suite Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Thanks for your feedback on your visit to Rio Las Vegas. We were sorry for the impression your visit left you with. We hope you will give us another chance. We are confident that our hotel staff will work diligently to prevent a future recurrence. We truly appreciate your business and hope to see you on a visit in the future.
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

Never Again. Do yourself a favor and search the terms "Rio Hotel" and "novovirus." Sorry, Tripadvisor wouldn't let me put any links in my review.

Most of my family contracted the norovirus while at the Rio over this last weekend. Now, I understand that the Rio isn't to blame for all of this. However, the way that they handled the outbreak was so classless and cheap that I will never patronize this hotel again.

My boyfriend and I got sick Friday night and assumed it was food poisoning. However, then my sister, who hadn't ate with us, got sick on Saturday morning. I noticed that the cleaning staff had started wearing medical masks that morning as well. Finally, because we were all sick in bed, we saw this story on CNN and called down to the hotel. They confirmed the virus and said it didn't make sense to leave because we were already sick and contagious. The hotel didn't issue a statement until Saturday afternoon. The hotel had known that these kids (a group in town for a youth football tournament) who spread the virus were sick as of Friday morning.

The Rio took steps to notify and protect their staff before their guests. Had we been given the information earlier, we very well may have left before we were able to get sick. It absolutely ruined our trip. Even after you're down with the stomach flu portion of the virus, you are incredibly tired and achey for the next day or so after. So, we weren't really able to leave the hotel.

Further, the Rio was absolutely rude about extending our check out time. Our plan had been to check out on Sunday, leave our stuff in my mom's room, and go to the strip until our flight at 5. My boyfriend was still pretty bed bound Sunday morning. I asked the hotel for a check out extension because we were sick with this stomach flu and couldn't really leave the hotel. They would only extend it for a short time and said I had to come down in person for an extension until 5. I explained to them that I had minimal sleep and needed to shower and really didn't feel like hiking it to reservations - they wouldn't budge. I showered and went downstairs and the lady in reservations was so unpleasant. Her exact words to me were "I don't see what your issue could be, you already have late check out."

Lastly, the Rio never offered any kind of compensation for the hassle we went through. Now I know they don't have to, but they were fully aware of how awful this virus is and knew the guests who had it wouldn't be able to enjoy their stay. Hotels give out rooms and gambling credits like candy in Vegas. It would have been the classy thing to do.

My advice - stay away. Far away.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
10 Thank Christina K
TotalServiceTeam, Manager at Rio All-Suite Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback from your visit. We truly appreciate your feedback and the opportunity for us to improve our service. We apologize that your experience does not reflect our commitment to guest service. If you would like to discuss your experience further, please feel free to send us an email at http://czr.bz/148UP5y.
Carson, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

I've never stayed at The Rio before, but my husband has (over 10 years ago). So, we'd thought we'd stay here since we are Total Rewards members and got a fairly decent rate.

First impressions are everything ... The Rio FAILED! When we arrived around 1:00 p.m., I tried to see if there was any early check-in. Staff said to come back at 2:00 p.m. So, we left and came back around 2:30 p.m. I waited in line (again!) just to have another staff person tell me to come back at 4:00 p.m. I went with my husband to the players club to reprint his card. Being gone less than 15 minutes, we passed by the registration desk to find a long line and staff giving out rooms! I was way passed pissed off. So, I waited in line (3rd time) for about 25-30 minutes. When I questioned the staff about why they would send me away and then take customers not 15 minutes after I leave and she said 'The times always change' and then shrugged her shoulders! Unacceptable!

When we finally get to our room, it took the bell person about an hour to get us our luggage. The door security was broken, part of the ceiling was dirty ... had stains on it. Our TV was really dark and we were unable to see clearly. We called the front desk and no one ever showed up the 3 nights we stayed there.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Terrah_90745
We’re sorry to hear of your poor experience. We are disappointed we have missed the mark with our Service Standards during your stay. We are truly sorry for the inconvenience. We truly appreciate your business and hope to see you on a visit in the future.