“bring your own coffee pods for the Keurig”

Rio All-Suite Hotel & Casino
Ranked #110 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I recently attended a two day conference at the Palms. The hotel was booked so I stayed "across the street" at Rio. The room was huge and the king size bed very comfortable, but there were a couple little things that really bugged me. The carpet is worn, showing seamlines and patches, the couch had stains on it and even a small hole and the clock radio is a sad waste of plastic and electronics. Don't most of us use our phone or the front desk to wake us up? We don't all want to watch the 27" flat screen when in the room. Some of us like to listen to music and this little thing sounded hollow and tinny as one would expect from something they bought in bulk for probably $2.00 a piece. The thing that really irritated me however was the coffee. It's been my experience that most hotel rooms no matter how inexpensive or fancy have some sort of coffee maker in the room. A way to get the java jolt that many of us need before even exiting our rooms. I was delighted to see a keurig machine on the shelf next to the sink. I looked around for the pod so I could get it all ready to brew in the morning, but couldn't find one. I called down to housekeeping thinking that they must have missed it only to be told that I would have to purchase the pod at a cost of $8.00 a piece! ..."but it makes 3 cups sir" I was shocked at this nickle and dime policy of the Rio. Give me some damn coffee in my room, will ya?!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank DaveMatthewsFan98406
Write a ReviewReviews (16,679)

Reviewed June 6, 2013

After reading several negative reviews I felt compelled to share my recent experience at the Rio. My wife, monther-in-law and I had adjoing rooms (1102 & 1104) in the Ipanema Tower. The rooms were excellent and the beds very comfortable. Only downside to the sleeping was the pillows were extra fat and not what we are used to. Still, a good nights sleep for all. Rooms were clean, spacious and well appointed. Keurig coffee machines in room, so bring your own K-cups (or buy there at high price). I found it worth the trip down the elevator to the Starbucks a few steps from the elevator casino level. Our room had a view of the Palms towers and mountains. Check in took about 1/2 hour as there was a long line. This is the longest it has ever taken me to check in, but the World Series of Poker is being held at the hotel and they were much busier than a usual early week period.
We had breakfast in the Sao Paulo Cafe twice and it was very good. Lunch in the All American Cafe where I had a great burger and ladies shared a Portobello Mushroom burger.
Now let's talk about service and attitude. Absolutely everyone we came into contact with at the Rio was very nice and helpful. Our bellman, Wally, said he has been with the Rio since inception (back when they were a relatively small 400 room hotel). The dealers were nice, the cocktail servers nice, the store clerks were nice etc etc etc.
Hidden Fees: I've read about hidden fee complaints and I don't understand this. There is a resort fee, but this is a common thing and well spelled out. I didn't make use of the pool or spa, but did connect to the internet which is included in the resort fee. One note is that you are allowed one device only connected to the network as included in the resort fee. I would like to see that changed to two, but it worked for me as my mother in law didn't bring anything and I had paid for two rooms, thus two connections. The WiFi speeds allowed me to stream Netflix on my iPad with excellent quality. Also made a couple of good quality Skype calls. You can either connect through WiFi or with an internet hard wire.
The deal we got worked out to about $85 per room per night including the resort fees. There are cheaper places to stay as well as more expensive. I have been going to the Rio for almost 20 years and expect our next visit toward Summers end to be there again. It is a great value.

Room Tip: We lucked out with the Ipanema Tower. Our rooms were close to the elevator and the front entrance. R...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Jim B
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Hotel was nice, rooms were quiet, bed was soft, large in capacity, front desk people extremely nice. The buffet at this hotel is unbelievably the best, the seafood one, its open 24 hours, and it had all you can eat crab legs (king size), lobster tails, and jumbo shrimps, all for about $50, but I had a Total Rewards card and the discount was $5.00 per person as the card applied to my guests as well. The slots don't pay here, no one was winning no where around me, sad but true, they just don't pay and that's not a good look on their part as a hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Barbara B
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Here for 2 weeks, and if it weren't for Comps, we'd probably go to another hotel and spend our money. Check in took an hour. After we had a Casino Host make our reservation, with a few days Comped. at check in, they had to see if it had changed, and had to check with a Supervisor. After getting to our room and finding someone's leftover's in the Frig, we called Guest Services, which reconnected us with Housekeeping. Now this is at 11pm. We told HK, when they serviced the room the following day, they could clean on the frig. Never happen. That night we called HK again, told them ok, they could do it the next day. My husband seen the maid in the hallway, told her, we even left a note in the room. Guess what, we had to call again, this time we called our Casino Host. That night we got in at 12:30am, call HK, and at 1am, someone came up and cleaned out the frig. When they came, we told them the frig under the TV, and they told us there wasn't a frig there, ok, you look and tell us what it is with food in it. DUH, Frig! You wouldn't believe all the other problems with points, and my husband getting his deducted twice, plus they charging our Credit Card more than what the rooms even cost us. I could go on, but I think you'll get the picture. However, I do like the bed.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at the Rio as I got 1 night comped with my players card and we had friends coming to Vegas as well. We were on the 12th floor with a view of the strip which was nice. It's been many years since we've stayed here and it needs some attention escpecially in the rooms. The furniture is worn and the carpet had spots here and there. The rooms are big which is nice. The one thing that is strange in the rooms is there is a small window between the bedroom wall and bathroom wall and that kind of puts people off. The window is high enough that you just can't see right in but if you got hight enough you could. The casino had a good selection of slots and table games. The food areas weren't that great and only one breakfast place which isn't enough especially when there is an event going on like the WSOP which is going right now. The check in was fine and the Valet people were really nice and helpful. I had my knee give out on me which walking around and my husband called and security was there right away with a wheel chair to take me to my room. They made sure I was ok and asked if I needed anything. I don't think I would stay here again unless they do some upgrades.

Room Tip: Higher floors are nice and ask for a view of the strip otherwise you will get a parking lot. We stay...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Its just another casino that we need to cover as a part of our trip. There is nothing to be remember in with this casino. Inspite of having so close competition with other casino in Vegas, Rio is just struggling to mark its presence. The main drawback is its location. It is located just outskirts of the main strip of Vegas. To overcome this hotel has already started free shuttle service every thirty minute, which starts from the hotel and drops us to a central point of Vegas. Once the shuttle is full no one extra is permitted in the shuttle. Which means if anyone left, needs to wait for another 30 minutes to reach to the main strip of Vegas.

We have been to Rio as there was Indian restaurant "Royal India Bistro" and we had planned to have lunch there.

Good: Shuttle service, Indian Restaurant

Points of improvement: No point of attraction, Frequency of shuttle service needs to be improved.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Stayed 4 nights at the Rio in May 2013. We were comped so we upgraded to the "newly renovated" samba suite for 20 bucks a night. The room was huge, but poorly designed and inefficient use of space. The bathrooms still seem very dated and are incredibly small, especially by Vegas standards. The room was very clean, housekeeping did a nice job. TV is ok, and the channel selection is poor. I would probably not stay here again, unless it was comped or under like 20 bucks, but now with the resort fee, that is pretty much impossible. I would much rather stay at the Hard Rock if i'm going off the strip. The food choices in the casino aren't that great and the casino itself is pretty boring. I dind't think their selection of slot machines was on par with many of the others we visited and I'm not a huge fan of Caesars table games to begin with. I did play a few times and found the dealers to be friendly and had a good time. Overall I would give the Rio a 3.5, it's definitely not very good, but can be above average.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple