“Rio, A satisfactory stay!”

Rio All-Suite Hotel & Casino
Ranked #101 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Rio, A satisfactory stay!”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Rooms are great and spacious, Pool is nice, and rest of the hotel is average to nice. This hotel's location is a drawback, being off the strip. We spent some in cab money when we didn't want to wait for the shuttle. In a town of excess and overindulgence, this hotel fails to stand out against the others. But an overall good stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,014)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Morristown, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed May 17, 2013

This was my first time at the Rio. The room was large, although you had to pay for in room coffee. The people at the front desk were nice and the concierge printed our boarding passes free of charge. I thought their Buffett was a little overpriced; $30.99 per person on a Monday night. I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Bernalillo, New Mexico
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Just finished a two day stay. The good is that the rooms are large and the maid service efficient. The rest of the staff and management might want to emulate those workers at the lower end of the pecking order. The entire experience was how to maximize the dollars you spend while avoiding delivering any service or product in exchange. Here is a short run down:

1. Registration - You pull up and ask about registration. It is suggested you give your car to valet. When you reject that you are told you can pull it to the side but one person must remain in it at all times. Since the checkout procedure was so cumbersome (more on that later) that isn't an option. Finally, after asking several times, we were told that we could try self-park, were told where it was, but were also told it is probably full.

2. Desk registration - You walk into the lobby to register to be met by a line that is, by estimate, thirty yards long. There are five staff plus three supervisors. All the supervisors watch (hence their title). They do not help out. Someone asked if there could be more staff to speed up registration and was told that this is their shift. It takes a full 45 minutes to complete the process. Makes leaving someone in the car while you register a non-option. Desk help were surly. They hit you with the $18.00 per day resort fee (previously not disclosed). What do you get for that? Free local calls, supposedly a hook up on the internet for one entry, plus coupons for half off on non-hotel related helicopter flights to Hoover Dam. Just by comparison, other the hotel across the street charged $3.00 for a resort fee and offered more.

3. Restaurants - Want a coffee shop for a simple meal. Uh uh. You are referred to the buffet which, for breakfast, charges $20.00 a piece. Lunch and dinner are higher. Ask the concierge for options? The buffet. Ask for others. The buffet. We ate one night at their fish restaurant and the food was good, the waiter surly, but the bus help accommodating. Our problem was that when we didn't order wine or an appetizer (the meals, although pricey, were quite large), things went downhill rapidly. Oh, and they do advertise their all seafood buffet, seven days a week, most evening hours. Nothing like it in Las Vegas. I would like to report on that but, of course, they informed us that while it is open seven days a week like they advertise, it is closed Tuesday and Wednesdays (the two days we were there). At the Rio, "all week" equals five days.

4. Assistance - Had several bouts with the concierge about information and assistance. Got nothing but sullen looks, cryptic answers. One issue had to do with getting our boarding passes, a small thing at most hotels, a major issue at the Rio. They have machines throughout the casino that show on their screen you can get your boarding passes. Problem is, there is a charge. I ask the concierge about that since even the least expensive chains get you your boarding passes or provide the service where you can get them, we are paying a resort fee for literally nothing, and it is just hitting a website and plugging in a number. I am told that since I wasn't an elite (Diamond) member there is a charge.

5. Parking - There are a lot of spaces, most of them reserved for priority members. How do you get to be one? I was told you have to be local but in an aside I was told I could buy a pass and use those parking spots.

I could keep going but you get the gist. At the Rio you get your room, perhaps a parking spot, and little else unless you use their phone lines and call locally. I have visited Las Vegas for forty years (since childhood). Offers come and go. Service can be hot or cold. Here it was non-existent. There are a lot of options to this hotel. I suggest you pursue them.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank MikeBJoanE

Travelers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

Charlotte, NC
Reviewed May 16, 2013

It was my 1st trip to Vegas and Rio helped it make fun. Hotel is clean, comfortable and the rooms are spacious. The tub was a bit odd, but except that it was fine.
There casino is also good. Some of the dealers are quite fun. The bar in the room was not that great but anyway there are many more places in vegas where you can enjoy a drink. View was great as we were on a very high floor. It was very occupied and busy, so the reception desk phone kept ringing but was not answered. My room had no iron. So to get that, I had to call up thrice and then wait at the front desk for 5 mins before grabbing someone's attention.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I have to say that for the price it was great! We were a party of three with two adults and a 7 year old son. We got a room with two queens and a couch and it was super spacious and updated and clean (except for the bar under the TV which was gross and dusty and I wouldn't have taken anything out of there ever. The Starbucks on site was convenient. The pool was perfect for a family with kids. The food at the pool was a decent price. The Burger King on site also provided a meal at a decent price. The Buffets were too pricey. . .but I have to say that we ate at the Seafood buffet and while the crablegs were dried up and tiny and the oysters dry and slimy, they did offer small lobster tails which is a bonus in my book! Correct, this is off the strip and you wouldn't want to walk there. . .but we were aware of this when we booked the room and we were fine with it! I would like to see them fix the carpet though - there was duct tape all over on the floor which is a bit weird! I also highly recommend seeing Penn & Teller when you are here - they were amazing!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Januarybride01
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I stayed here during the SEMA show and everything about this place was fantastic. My original reservation was booked on-line and was a double occupancy, however, my father was able to come with me last minute to the show. So when we arrived at the hotel I had assumed there would be some trouble in actually receiving what I had booked as originally it was just myself staying in the room. Got to the front desk to check in and they did not have the space to accomodate my reservation so instead they upgraded us to a near penthouse suite at no extra charge. This type of thing rarely happens to me so I was incredibly shocked by this but very pleasantly surprised at the same time. The staff treated us well, the restaurant in the bar was fantastic and I didn't feel an overwhelming urge to gamble. I will be booking here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Chris L
Reviewed May 14, 2013

While you may get an excellent prepay price online be prepared to pay 20$ a day for a resort fee that is Never explained. We called front desk several times to about internet service and other amenities, after waiting forever for someone to answer,the response was like I dunno, transferred and told it's part of package free. Customer service :- non existent. Also rooms on website are renovated, we got older shabby room in older part of "resort". Rate on site $200 for 3 nights, real price after fees and taxes $400. Deceived!

• Stayed May 2013