“Beware of Resort Fees!!! Deceived!”

Rio All-Suite Hotel & Casino
Ranked #101 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Beware of Resort Fees!!! Deceived!”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

While you may get an excellent prepay price online be prepared to pay 20$ a day for a resort fee that is Never explained. We called front desk several times to about internet service and other amenities, after waiting forever for someone to answer,the response was like I dunno, transferred and told it's part of package free. Customer service :- non existent. Also rooms on website are renovated, we got older shabby room in older part of "resort". Rate on site $200 for 3 nights, real price after fees and taxes $400. Deceived!

• Stayed May 2013
5 Thank LisaGlv

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,023)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I love the Rio! It has become one of my favorite hotels in Las Vegas. It’s easy to get in and out of. I suggest you valet your car, it’s fast, convenient and the valet’s are always so friendly and helpful. If I park myself I usually park in the north parking garage, there’s always spaces available. The Rio may be off the strip but there are at least three different free shuttles always coming around to take you to the other places. But I prefer to stay at the Rio… They have all my favorite slot machines! The Rio has a great variety of slot machines and many many table games and you never have to wait long for a drink while sitting at a slot machine. The employees are wonderful from the minute you arrive to the minute you leave and the casino is huge! But, it’s really laid out well, so I never get lost. It’s easy to find your way around the Rio. Every once in a while they have free entertainment on the casino floor; a little dancing, a little singing… This makes for a very fun atmosphere when gambling. They also have "Penn and Teller" and the "Chippendale's" and now the “The Rat Pack Is Back” a tribute show that showcases the music of the original Rat Pack. All are just outstanding!!!! And there are plenty of places to eat... The buffet is always outstanding with a larger variety of food compared to other buffets. They also have a Burger King if you are looking for a quick cheap meal or a midnight snack. I always recommend the Rio to all my friends, especially the “ALL-AMERICAN BAR AND GRILLE” which is casual dining; steaks, seafood, salads, and sandwiches. OMG, soooo gooood!!!!
Bottom line: This is an amazing hotel.

Room Tip: Bottom line: This is an amazing hotel. The Rio has it all.
Presque Isle, Maine
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We stayed at the Rio and our room and view were terrific. The bed was heavenly. The pools are nice and overall our service was good (room service was terrific).
I wish there was a "pretty good" option because the hotel was better than average however there were the little inconveniences we shouldn't have had. The ice maker on our floor didn't work, I reported it the first night and when we left 4 days later it still didn't work. The pop machine must have been empty or not working the entire time as well. The other issue I had is that when we checked in we upgraded to a newly remodeled suite. As I mentioned the room was great, but again it was the little details like the lamps weren't plugged in, there was no minibar and no drinking glasses.
The last thing I will say is that the noise from the VooDoo Lounge is constant. It was hard to sleep with the constant base rattling. I would say it was our location, but we were 20 stories below the club.

1 Thank redloveswine
Lynchburg, Virginia
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I did not want to single out any particular employee or area, as this seemed to be the accepted "Norm" for the hotel.
I'm not that old though I enjoyed staying at the Sands and the Dunes back in the day. So I guess the easiest way for me to explain in to compare.
I would not have seen Groups of people on the casino floor wearing "Flip-Flops", Cut off shorts and tank tops. People wandering around obviously drunk and being very loud. If those people had been there, the staff would have done something other than half smile, shake there heads, and just pass them by. The overall atmosphere experience at the Rio was very poor but, by the lack of action from the staff, seemed to be the accepted "Norm".
The Icing on the cake was the elevator ride down to check-out. After avoiding the rather large puddle on the floor getting in, once the doors closed it became clear that the puddle, from the smell, was urine. After getting off my entire party looked at one another, half smiled, shook our heads, and said NEVER again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Daniel D

Travelers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

canaro99
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We recently stayed in the Rio (our first time). The rooms are clean, large and a good value for the money. The surprise came the next morning as I was in the shower, soapy hair, face, etc and the water shut down.

I got out of the shower, soapy head, soap in my eyes (they burned for hours) and tried to find out what happened. Several calls, and what seemed like an eternity later, I find that there was an emergency shutdown of the hotel water system.

While these things can happen, I was surprised with no comments and no acknowledgement from the staff of the problem.

I'll only stay here again if other choices fail and the price is significantly lower than other options.

1 Thank canaro99
Washington DC, District of Columbia, USA
Reviewed May 13, 2013

After price comparing several properties on the Strip, we decided on the Rio based on overall value. The hotel is a little dated when compared to the newer properties on the Strip but the rooms are very well maintained. Some reviewers have noted things like mold or cracked tiles -- I did notice one cracked tile in our room and our mini bar was replaced with an 'out for service note' for our entire 3 day trip (probably a good thing!) but otherwise the room was great and extremely large -- around 400-500 square feet.

The shops and restaurants in the hotel were not as glamorous as in some other hotels (comparing to the Venetian and Bellagio here) but we really enjoyed the Voodoo lounge and I was intrigued to find a tattoo studio in the Masquerade shopping area. Unfortunately the Show in the Sky was closed when we visited but we did see some random entertainment (a singer) in the casino area.

The casino was fairly standard (in terms of offerings and decor) although the cocktail waitresses easily wore the tiniest outfits we saw in any casino (and we went into most on the Strip and the Palms).

The hotel staff were very accommodating the entire trip. The line to check in was HUGE probably an hour long wait when we arrived. We snuck over to the premium/VIP guest check in and explained it was my husband's birthday AND his first trip to Vegas and could they help us out and despite not being VIP guests they checked us in right away. Every cleaning staff member we saw said hello and asked us how our day was. We ordered room service and came promptly and the portions were HUGE! We could have easily shared one plate ourselves. And when it came to checking out we were able to late check out an hour later for free just by calling the front desk.

There is a resort fee and when I booked (I reviewed Orbitz, Expedia, Vegas.com AND finally booked with our flight on Southwest.com) it clearly explains the additional resort fee. Its annoying but it is clear.

We did not check out the pool or the buffets -- we mostly had dinner in other hotels.

If you're looking for a comfortable base of operations for a reasonable price with friendly staff and good location (15-20 min walk to the Palms, 15-20 min walk to the Strip, or a 5 min cab ride) definitely try the Rio.

2 Thank pelirroja01
Howell, Michigan
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Huge room and has an area for the ladies to work on their makeup while others can use toilet. Outside of building the paint is old and worn. Event the big RIO sign is extremely faded. Budgets must be tight because the free overhead show has been canceled. Check in is slow slow slow slow. Restaurants are over priced.

Room Tip: Mountain view is quieter
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple