“Needs some improvements” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Morgantown, West Virginia
“Needs some improvements”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

I recently stayed at the Rio hotel for 3 nights for a birthday trip. Overall there were some good and bad points, but I will break them down.

Check-In:
If you arrive before 4pm you can not check in. I was told "we don't do any check in's till 4PM. If you want to pay an Extra $20 you can come back at 1PM." That was it. I had been up since 1AM Las Vegas time to get there and arrived at the Rio at 11:30AM. So I had to drag my luggage around the casino for almost 4 hours. (I did finally end up paying the extra $20 to get a room at 2:30PM because I was just tired of dragging everything around). The registration desk seemed to be "put out" that there were so many people wanting to check in. What do they expect? Not every plane coming in to Vegas lands after 4.

Room: (823 in Ipanema Tower, Strip view)
The room was an "average" room. It was a little dated (mostly in the bathroom). The grout around the tub was gone, the shower had and faucet in the tub had so much pressure that water was going every where. This can be seen really well by the door leading in to the "bath" where the frame was rusting out at the bottom where the water is constantly there. The bathroom floor was a tile one, and looks like it hadn't been cleaned in years (you could see spots of who knows what all over the floor, good thing I brought some flip flops to wear around.) The view was ok. Attached to this review is a picture of it. The bed, while I have read other say it was "too firm" was good for me. The TV, while most people aren't in the room long enough to watch TV, was a Panasonic 32 inch LCD TV, but it had nothing but Standard def analog channels on it. No HD. Really in this day why is it not in HD?

The Internet: (which is now part of the Resort fees I will cover below) did NOT work the night I got there. I spent almost an hour on the phone with LodgeNet support having them try to fix it till I finally went to bed waiting for them to call me back. They called at 1AM to want me to try something else. I told them I would call back in the morning. Morning came and it still didn't work. They ended up having to "reboot" the "modem" that was in the room and then it started working. It appears to piggy back on COX network, but the speed was slower than my Verizon 4G smartphone.

Smoke Free, but not; The room was smoke free. However as soon as you walked out in to the hall way you were inundated with the smell of smoke. Also because this room was at the very end of the hall way you had to walk through it every time you wanted to go any where.

Casino, I found it to be more "smoky" than others that I went in to. This could be because (just speculation) the ceiling is a lot lower in it than in say Caesars, Planet Hollywood, etc. So the smoke just seems to linger around. It was hard to avoid the smoke if you have problems being around ig.

Buffet, One thing that I liked about Caesar's group of hotels is the Buffet of Buffet's. For one fixed price (I think it was about $54.99) for 24 hours you can eat at any of the Buffet's. The one "problem" I had with it is that it doesn't open till 8AM. (Being from the east coast, I was waking up at 4AM every day. ) If you wanted to go to the one restaurant that was open early a simple 2 egg, 2 meat, potato and juice breakfast would cost you almost $20 or more. So I ended up waiting until the 8AM opening. They also seemed to have some "staffing" problems as one night I stood in line for almost 20 minutes waiting to be seated when looking over the floor over half of the tables were open and had no one sitting at them, but no one to cover them.
The food was decent, depending on what time you got there and how long it had been sitting out.

Pool area, I went to the pool area once. The outside ambient temp was about 76F/23C. But the pool felt like the water was at about 60F/15C. It was actually so cold I couldn't get in it all the way. If it were a hotter day, I bet it would have been better.

Off The Strip: The hotel is off the strip and walking to it would be an adventure. However the one good thing is they have 2 shuttle busses that run every 30 minutes from 10AM to 1AM from the Rio to Harrah's and Bally's casino. The key here is it doesn't start till 10AM and you better be on one of the returning ones at 1AM or you will be getting a taxi or walking back. The busses depart from "behind" the casino (near the entrance to the buffet) and they arrive in the parking garage behind Harrah's and besides Bally's towards the back of it.

Check-Out: The desk workers once again seemed "burdened" by people coming to check out. The worker slowly read over every line item on my folio back to me and then printed it out and said here ya go. I asked if there was a airport shuttle bus, and she replied "Yes there is, but you have to sign up for it in advance." That was it, no sorry let me help you or nothing else. So I ended up paying $25 to get a taxi back to the airport.

Fees: Lets just say the whole resort fee is the hugest scam I have ever seen. The Resort fee at the Rio was like $20 a night. This included local telephone calls, internet access and 2 free passes to the gym a day. Well in this day and age, who doesn't have a cell phone on them with unlimited calling? So why would I use the phone? In fact it is hard for me to remember when the last time I actually used a hotel phone to call any one but the front desk. So this now makes the resort fee for me $20 for internet and gym access. And since I didn't use the Gym, that means my Internet fee was $20 a day, (the web site that you have to use to activate it says the internet access fee is $13.95 a day). So now because of the "resort fee" you have to pay an extra $6.05 a day to use the slow internet access from the room. Overall not really worth it, and no way of not paying it either. So why isn't it just added in to the cost of the room?

Other notes: The room I had was a strip view as previously mentioned. What this means is that in the morning when the sun rises, it will wake you up and the windows start "popping" when they and the metal frames start warming up from the sun light. (It almost sounded like water dropping in the room, but it wasn't). Also because of the tremendous amount of water pressure, any time any one next to you or above you takes a shower you can here it through the walls.

Would I stay there again? maybe / maybe not. Leaning more on the not side. The one main reason I did stay there was to see Penn & Teller's show and because of the price. Think I will return to either Caesar's or Planet Hollywood next time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Jason G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,651)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Bar Harbor, Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

We had a wonderful vacation week at the Rio. I had never been to Las Vegas before and was a little worried after reading some of the reviews but my husband read a lot about the hotels and said this was a great value. It really turned out to be very good for us. The Rio's location was excellent -- close enough to the Strip to get the experience but far enough away to easily park and drive off to do sightseeing without the traffic. The hotel room was large and very nice. The bed was very comfortable and housekeeping was wonderful. They cleaned our room early and did a great job. There are 4 pools with one being "adult only" and this was enforced. This pool also had music and dancing girls for my husband to watch. Very enjoyable.

As is the case with most of the LV hotels, the food and entertainment was pricey for what you get. However we found the Gold Coast Hotel and Casino right next door which had VERY reasonable prices for food and drink. We got a wonderful buffet breakfast for $5.99 per person and the dinner buffet was also very reasonable. Drinks were free if you played the machines at the bar.

When we wanted to go to the Strip, the Rio had a shuttle which left every half hour and drove to Bally's and Harrah's so you could get the full Strip experience. I found the Strip was too crowded for me. It had a wide range of things to do ranging in price from free to very expensive but everything was very crowded. Some of the hotels/casinos were newer and more extravagant than the Rio (i.e City Center's Aria and Mandarin Oriental) but we found that the Rio more than held its own. The one thing that was disappointing about the Rio was that they discontinued the free carnival show in the casino that we had been told about. This had been going on for 17 years but stopped one month before we arrived -- it would have been really good to have this show to really get into the Rio mood.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Judy C
toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

The rooms are terrific, huge suites, clean and luxurious. But - the longest halls I have ever seen, and they give you terrible directions at the front desk, so that you spend a lot of time lugging around your suitcases trying to find your room. That is, when you get checked in - after the hugely long line-ups for check-in after 4 (but then again, you can pay for the privilege of checking in after 1PM). Line ups are the order of the day in this massive place, and the desk clerks just don't seem to care at all. The hike from the parking garage is unbelievable. And the upselling is ridiculous. While we did enjoy the room, I would not choose this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank dorism
Las Vegas, Nevada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

I met my two adult children at the hotel for a 3 day holiday. I was shocked at the dirty bathroom where filth accumulated in the corners...tile was cracked...The room itself was clean...Clean linen, comfortable beds...heard later that the Rio is up for sale...sure has changed from 18 years ago....and the buffet is $49. per person...
Unbelievable. Thought children were not allowed on casino floor????
Will not stay here again....I am a total rewards member, and expected a bit more from a Cesars establishment...Also, the resort fee of $18.00 a night is total robbery since we never used the pools or anything else...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 444Riorita444

Travelers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

I love the Rio! I live in Chicago and I have been visiting Vegas at least two times a year for the past ten years. At least 75% of my trips to Vegas I've stayed at the Rio. They have a great variety of slot machines and plenty of table games. The employees are great from the minute you arrive to the minute you leave. I can't remember ever having a bad experience with one. It's not likely you have to wait long in a line or even for a drink at a slot machine or table. They are definitely not understaffed. I have actually been pulled out of line and into their VIP registration room because they wanted to speed up their regular check in lines. The rooms are very spacious with floor to ceiling windows. The rooms also have a couch with a large coffee table as well as a work station. I also like the separation of the bathroom from the vanity area. It's very convenient when you don't want to wait for the other person to finish getting ready. There is also a fridge in every room which is a very nice convenience. I know these are all luxuries of staying in a suite but the difference with the Rio is their rooms are very reasonably priced compared to the other hotels. I can honestly say I have stayed at the Venetian ,which is obviously a beautiful hotel with all suites, but their rooms seemed dark and felt more closed in even with the sunken living room area. The rooms at the Rio are bright and feel way more spacious. Another Rio plus is their free show. It's entertaining to watch and at the end of it they interact with the guests by throwing beads out of the floats from the "Show in the Sky". Makes for a very fun atmosphere. They also have the "Chippendale's" and "Penn and Teller" as well as a club and steak house on the 50th floor with amazing views. The pools are always clean and there are plenty of lounge chairs to use. The buffet is always outstanding with a larger variety of food compared to other buffets. They also have a Burger King if you are looking for a quick cheap meal or a midnight snack. The Rio may be off the strip but there are at least three different free shuttles always coming around to take you to the other Cesar's properties. If you don't want to wait 10 minutes for the shuttles the cab rides are usually pretty cheap because the hotel is right off the expressway. I hope this information helps you with your decision. I always recommend the Rio to all my friends and co-workers. = ) I love the Rio! = ) See you in June!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dorothy J
Louisville, Ky
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

I recently stayed at the Rio for a convention. The room was very spacious, decent view, and comfortable bed. The convention center was convienant to the hotel but nothing else was. There is a shuttle that runs every 30 minutes to the Paris, Ballys or Harrahs thats not too bad but it's not like being right on the strip. There is a buffet that is pretty decent but very costly! The best deal is to pay $50 for 24 hours and you can eat at any of the buffets at any of the hotels listed above but BEWARE! You will be waiting in line for almost an hour or more for the dinner buffets.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank madlane2
Louisville, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

Checked in this past Wednesday. We will be here until next Monday. We have a deluxe suite, beautiful. The staff is wonderful. I realize it is too far to walk to the strip but you have everything you need here

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family