“Never again”

Rio All-Suite Hotel & Casino
Ranked #109 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Before we even got to the room, there was some confusion about a deposit. We had to put a $200 dollar deposit down on a room that I had already booked and paid in advance for. And since I was paying for the room in cash, I had to fork over another 200 out of my spending money. Secondly, the cigarrette smoke in the place was so over powering that I could smell it 6 floors up. My allergies flared up immediately as a result, and I spent my entire vacation couped up in my room sick, sneezing, with a stuffed up head, nose, and ears and spent 65 dollars on allergy and pain medicine in their gift shop which was over the top expensive. Like 10 bucks for 5 ibuprophen expensive. When I complained about it, they sent an air purifier to my room (which was not where the smoke problem was) and kicked me out of it for an hour. So after spending an hour back in the smokey environement, I was allowed back in the now "smoke free" room to spend the rest of the trip knocked out on Benedryl. Oh and thanks Rio for the extrememly painful flight home. I also appreciated the quoting of Las Vegas laws about smoking on the casino floor by your staff. I am certain it applied to the guy I saw smoking in the elevator, and the girls smoking in the hallway of my floor, and the partiers that smoked, and drank and howled till 4 a.m. across the hall from me. In short, I spent $2k for 72 hrs. in Vegas, and spent 68 hrs. in my room because 1) The Rio cannot seem to enforce the no smoking areas, 2) they do not have adequate air filtering systems to keep up with the level of second hand smoke in the building.

The hotel sits off the strip, so if you want to go anywhere you have to take a cab. At least $20 a trip to go anywhere on the strip.

If you don't want to pay $20 to go eat on the strip, you have to either spend $30 per person to eat at the buffet, or walk across the street to the Gold Coast and pay $15. Otherwise, you will be eating a lot of Burger King.

I don't recommend this place at all.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Steve R

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Stayed at Rio in Sept/12 and had a great time with my wife. Pools were OK. Easy walk to the Plams and Gold Coast(Great Cheap Breakfast). Shuttles to the Strip which take about 10 min. Rooms were clean (M.Tower) and huge for a Standard. Floor to Ceiling Windows. Saw the Trains but DIDN'T hear them.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I'm currently staying at the Rio All-Suite Hotel in Vegas for the New Media Expo Conference. First of all, these are not real suites. The room is just big and has a couch. That is hardly a suite. Why am I writing this review.. now let me get to my beef with this dumpy property.

Summary (before full review)
-terrible beds, bedding, amenities
-location is bad (off-strip)
-everything outdated and it's not really a 'suite' per se.

1. The washroom is just meh. It's outdated and the shower is dirty. It's a standard tub. Not impressed
2. The bed is absolutely a disaster. Crappy cheap-quality old cotton bedding with a thin bedspread. Not even a duvet (standard in 2013 in most hotels).. This bed-spread is so thin that I had to turn up the heat so high at night, and the pillows are these crappy cotton stuffed pillows. I kid u not when i tell you I cannot sleep, and perhaps this makes me a diva, but i expected a nicer hotel.

Here's the kicker. I was put in a "renovated suite" and it's decor is from the 1990s.. early 90s at best. This place is ghetto, and gross. The halls look like they are from the 70s and there's nothing nice about this property.

I would not only never stay here again, (and im currently here now), i would tell people never ever to stay here. It's a [--] of the highest degree of crap.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Averick A
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I stayed at the Rio in early Dec 2012 and was surprised to hear of the $15 early check in fee even though I was checking in only 1 hour prior to the official check-in time of 4:00. I did e-mail the Rio to tell them about my disappointment, and I was told that they do charge an early check-in fee if you check-in PRIOR to 12:00 noon, however I DID check-in at 3:00. When I stayed at the Rio in January, there was no early check-in fee. In my opinion, this is just a cash grab. Also, a couple of days before your stay they will e-mail you with an offer to upgrade to a room on a higher floor and a view of the strip for an additional fee. DON'T do it!! It is NOT worth it!! At first I was given a room on a lower floor (8th floor) than when I stayed there in Jan when I didn't pay for the upgrade. And saying it's a view of the strip is an exageration. I could see the freeway and theTrump building and that's it. The rooms are not really suites--just rooms that a little larger than the average hotel room.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank cdagirl123
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Stayed at the rio for my honeymoon and had a great time. The room was not ready when we checked in and the staff was quick at cleaning it. Stayed on the 38th floor loved the view of the strip mountain view not so bad. Had a all around wonderful experience. I am a Caesars total reward card member and they showed me much love

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed January 4, 2013

This review is for the room and overall impressions of the Rio. I have written separate reviews for different venues as some don’t deserve to get a low rating. See end of my review for my summary and if interested, read the more detailed submissions.

This review is for a week-long stay starting on Friday for a computer conference.

First off, I wish I had read Trip Advisor first!
Pros: Room rates are great but at a cost to your comfort and ease of getting around.
Cons: Well, read on...

Check in:
Check in is at 3PM. Arrive at 2:30PM and expect to pay an early check-in fee. We were charged $15 but I overheard someone else getting charged $11 (perhaps they were a Total Rewards member)

Internet Access:
Rio charges for in room internet access. The charges are based on Per device Per 24hours! Listen carefully when they go over this at the desk and ask questions. Note: Depending on your room location, the wireless access/signal strength can vary dramatically and some folks gave up trying to use it. Ask for a refund if you find you can't connect.

Rooms ( Cariocas Suite and later Standard Suite in the Ipanema Tower)
Yes that is right, we stayed in two different rooms during our one week stay.
Cariocas Suite –
Pros: Nice two room layout with a Jacuzzi tub and view.
Cons: Jacuzzi tub missing stopper. Maintenance responded quickly and had to take the plug from another suite to fix ours. The furnishings, while nice, had badly worn corners, upholstery was literally show threads and little things like the TV video was so dark it was hard to watch a program and no way to adjust. Carpeting in both rooms has seen better days.
The feather pillows were old and the one I used under my knees felt like I was sleeping on a pin cushion, literally! When I checked in the morning, very sharp quills were poking through the fabric and I could easily pull them out. I left that pillow on the dresser with a note to please remove it from the room. I know this may sound paranoid, but my note may have resulted in the second shower head getting redirected to the shower door, as when I went to turn on the water to get the hot water going, I got soaked. I had to stand on a chair and reach over the glass walls and use a coat hanger to redirect the spray. Had I not done this, the next time I opened the door, the floor would have been soaked and me a second time.

Hot water – This is where I regret not checking out Trip Advisor. As I learned, having a suite is nice but it is all the way at the end of a very long hallway. The first two days it took a long time for the water to warm up and even then it wasn’t really hot. The final straw was on the 3rd night when I decided to take a shower before going to bed because I didn’t have the time to wait in the morning for it to heat up (This is when I got soaked). I waited for 30 minutes and no hot water. I called maintenance. The gentleman who came was very nice and sympathetic. He said there really wasn’t much he could do given the way the hot water is plumbed. He suggested getting another room and said; the closer to the elevators, the closer you are to the hot water.
So, I called down to the desk and spoke the manager in charge. He was very nice and courteous and offered us another suite, but given the problems we had and my need to get up early in the morning for daily set ups, I declined and asked for a room closer to the elevator.

Standard Suite - Ipanema Tower
Pros: HOT WATER AT LAST! Single room with two beds and furnishings that looked a little newer. Although we were the third room from the elevators, we did not hear them.
Cons: Beds felt smaller than a queen. One was really hard and the other one OK.

Conference Facility
Pros: The conference rooms were your typical rooms that were clean. The room I had accommodated my needs, but lacked locking doors to secure our items overnight. We had to block the doors with tables and hope for the best. Luckily, we had no problems with thefts or tampering.
Cons: Really long walk from room. Seriously, if you have a meeting, plan on 15 minutes to get there, maybe 20.

Conference Food
There is not much to write. Standard conference food that was decent, hot and edible. Sometimes the portions was too much.

See my review for the following which I felt should be rated separately:
All American Bar and Grill at the Rio Las Vegas ****
Carnival World Buffet at the Rio Las Vegas ***

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank jjmail94526
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I normally do not write reviews and this is just my second time. I agree to what Douglas H has said and had a similar experience. The staff lack customer service skills and we were not informed about being charged for the buffet. I got a package from Expedia that included free breakfast buffet for 2. I am very detail oriented and called the front desk to find out where, when and what time the breakfast buffet is being served. They said it was until 11:00 am. We went to the restaurant at 10:00 am and was never informed that they were already serving brunch and we would be charged $35 for having breakfast during brunch time. I got a charge on my credit card and didn't recognize the transaction so I called Rio. They told me what the charge was for after the fact. Like what Douglas said, it's a small amount of money but it was about being ripped off. It was my first time to stay at Rio. Never again!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple