“Great Value Off The Strip”

Rio All-Suite Hotel & Casino
Ranked #104 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersSilver level
JAPAN
“Great Value Off The Strip”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

On our annual pre Christmas trip to Las Vegas and since we had a car to our disposal we decided to stay off the strip this year and book rooms at the Rio. It's an impressive facility and looks fantastic when lit up at night. We arrived around 2:30 p.m. and were told that we had to wait until the 4:00 p.m. check in or pay and extra $ 25.00 for early check-in. We decided to wait and go out for an early dinner. We got a quiet corner room on the 16th floor located in the Ipanema tower with a mountain view. City view was available for an extra charge. The room felt dated but was very spacious. The bed was comfortable. One thing that upsets me is the fact that hotels now don't want to supply fresh bed linen and towels on a daily basis. One needs to call house keeping to get fresh supplies. Also the Rio does not provide a hot water heater or some sort of "regular" coffee machine. There is a Keurig single cup machine in the bathroom, but they charge $ 6.00 for three K-cups. I suggest one purchases a 12 pack of K-cups ( coffee or tea ) at the Supermarket for around $ 7.00. The bathroom has a shower/tub combo and a very low commode with a very noisy air assisted flush. The room felt cold and we could never get the heater to work, so we ordered a couple of extra blankets to keep warm at night.
All in all an acceptable experience. But this is not a glitzy place. We stayed four days and after two days the room lost it's appeal.

3 Thank WEISSBIER

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,098)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I stayed here for one night and had a corner room. The room was clean and spacious. Check-in was very fast. I only had to wait in line for a matter of minutes and the person who checked us in was very nice. I did not hear any noise from above me or from my neighbor, which was nice. My only complaint was the bathroom. It took a long time for the water to get hot and the shower head made noise the entire time it was on and it didn't have very good pressure. If I was staying here more than one night, I probably would have complained. I got a good last minute rate and the rest of the room was great. The bed was comforable and it was nice to have space in the room. I would stay here again if I need/want a hotel in Vegas again.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank thegoaliegirl
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed December 26, 2012

I stayed here around Christmas in 2012. My wife and I had never stayed at a casino before, but we had planned on seeing Penn and Teller and we thought it would be a lot easier to stay at the hotel rather than staying at another hotel. We had a normal room on the 4th floor which was pretty nice except for the very thin bathroom door and the fact that the shower had a window in it that overlooked the bed. The hotel itself was very smoky, but I expected that.

However, pets are allowed in this hotel. I'm not sure who was next door to me but I felt as if they abandoned their pet. The poor dog next door knew we were in the next room and clawed and barked at the door in-between the rooms -- for over two hours. Finally, I called downstairs and told them of the situation. Two minutes later they called me back and offered to move me to a suite on another floor. I didn't want to be upgraded, I just wanted to sleep. But it was a lot more than I expected out of the staff at 12:30 AM on Christmas morning. We then were finally able to sleep. The next morning I went to check out. There was very long line that moved suprisingly quick given the magnitude of the people in line.

To sum up, I was very impressed with the staff of the hotel. As for the hotel itself - it could probably use a renovation. But given the price that I paid I say that it was still reasonable.

2 Thank fornit
sherrard, il
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We have stayed at the Rio once or twice a year for many years. The suites are huge and nicely decorated. Some of the fixtures are beginning to show their age. This trip we had frayed carpet where it met the tile of the entry. It was our 50th anniversary, so we grovelled for a room in the Ipanema tower ending in 55 on a high floor. These are the best rooms in the house in our estimation. Corner rooms with floor to ceiling windows on two walls showing almost the entire strip. Would recommend the Rio for people who are willing and able to take long walks, because it is a some distance from the strip. However, it can be walked by healthy people. Food prices have skyrocketed all over town, and the Rio is no exception. The full-service bars are great places to play video poker and be comped for premium drinks.

Room Tip: Corner rooms in Ipenama tower. Those ending in 55 are best.
3 Thank John C
Orinda, California
Reviewed December 26, 2012

When we're in Vegas, we usually stay on the Strip for the sake of convenience but we decided to try the Rio for the heck of it. It's located on Flamingo, away from the Strip. It's walkable but, the hotel has a shuttle that runs every 30-minutes that stops at Bally's/Paris and Harrah's. This hotel and casino has been around for years and certainly cannot compete with the newer, blinged out hotels that run the Strip. But, that's not a negative at all. We were really surprised as to how large the room was, or should I say suite, since all of their rooms are truly suites. The suite had floor to ceiling windows which provided an awesome view of the Red Rock mountains and the sparkly Vegas nights. There was a pull out sofa, coffee table, desk, lounge chair and honestly, they could've put another couch in there and it still would've been quite roomy. The bathroom area was somewhat separate, it had a nice vanity area with a long counter and a closet, which made it so convenient to get dressed. The shower and toilet were in it's own room and was quite basic. Overall, although the room might be deemed as dated, if you were to compare it to the Aria or even the Mirage, but it was in great shape, clean and way comfortable. The bed was also super comfortable too, but the pillows are quite firm. Depending on which tower you're in, the Ipanema Tower had a couple elevator banks but the elevators are a little slow, in terms of stopping at your floor, not speed. Would I recommend the Rio? I certainly would, especially if you want to get away from the hustle and bustle of the Strip or if you have a rental car and want to explore the rest of Vegas....trust me, there's more to Vegas than on the Strip, not to mention, the odds are better at the off-Strip casinos and you won't find rookies betting $100/hand at Blackjack like you would at the Bellagio...#thingsthatmakeyoushakeyourhead.

3 Thank norcalnick
Corona
Reviewed December 23, 2012

BEWARE! The RIO Hotel staff, managers, supervisors, restaurant manager along with hostess', and their security lack customer service skills and any human skills to be exact. I Just stayed at the RIO Hotel from 12/20-12/23 with a large party of 12 and had booked 5 rooms. Two of our rooms had a breakfast buffet included each morning for the duration of our stay. We attempted to use this the morning after check-in and was given hell at the cashier at the carnival buffet after waiting in line for 1 hr, another 45 min. wasted on incompetent cashier that didn't understand and for the front desk giving her wrong info. After 1 hr. 45 min, my husband aggravated along with 11 others in the group, patiently waiting to finally eat, when the hostess threw our receipts on the ground after telling her to please hurry up and seat us because of the long wait. She deliberately threw the receipts on the floor and ignored our party and deliberately took the party behind us. Upset and beyond shocked on what occurred, my husband started yelling and raising his voice on what occurred. This brought the restaurant assistant manager Abby, came to the scene defending her hostess and wasted no time talking to us, but rather doing nothing except for calling security and refusing our parties service. All we wanted at this point, was an apolgy, respect and to sit and eat. She said we werent welcomed and we had ro leave and they would refund us our $. After telling security we weren't leaving all we wanted was to be served, they told us to leave. We were escorted out by 2 security guards that had no regard for what happened in the restaurant and chose not to listen to our side of the story only the assistant manager. They lead our group out all the way to the reception desk as if we were drug dealers or had stole something. The head of security, Richard, was the only sympathic and apologitic person we saw through the whole ordeal. He advised that he had no control over on the restaurant level and that the assistant manager Abby, has the authority to deny service to anyone. He walked back to the restaurant to receive our refund and Richard remained with us the whole time. We asked him to speak to the hotel manager to reflect on what just happened at the carnival buffet and to receive some type of apology.  Pamela Irion, hotel manager came to the scene and very quickly wasted no time to defend  the RIO staff and saw that we were at fault. She basically said they're private owned and showed no regard for what happened. I told her we were expecting an apology and maybe you as a hotel manager would care about the customer and keeping the customer happy for long term business and would offer our party a complimentary alternative. She immediately responded and said that that's not something she would do and refused. At this point, we were disgusted by the whole ordeal and our  stay at the hotel. We left to another hotel to eat and returned back in the evening and at this time walked by the front desk and asked to speak to a general manager, they told us he was on vacation and settled to talk with another hotel manager, Giacomo "Jack" D'Aleo who right Off the bat talked with a tone of voice that us in acceptable claiming that my husband looked at him in a intimidating way and he could understand why the carnival buffet ordeal happened. We were merely having a normal tone conversation and he was accusing us and again had no desire to hear anything from us. After getting no where with "Jack" did he end the conversation abruptly and we walked our way to the rooms. After about 1 hr., seating in my room, I found a knock at the door....a huge security guard along with "Jack," D'Aleo hotel manager, asking to speak with me. I had thought that after leaving him downstairs he came to his sense and was coming to apologize but in fact threatening us that if anything else happens from myself or anyone in my party that our rooms are considered "TERMINATED".......really! All I know after they left my room, did my party and I come to realize that this was all due to DISCRIMINATION, I urge you not to waste your time and $. Paying a little extra $ to stay at a 5-Star hotel to ensure your family a good time is priceless. Just think of it as discounted price = no customer service!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
12 Thank Bernadette B

Travelers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed December 23, 2012

I do enjoy staying here. Granted it isn't the glitzy strip sort of place, but the prices for the rooms are always perfect. I actually prefer staying off the strip. It is quieter and the town haw so much more to offer than just the strip (see my other reviews). The Rio has easy access from Flamingo Rd and Interstate 15. You could spend you whole time on the west side of I-15 and never miss going to the strip. There are great restaurants all around this area. Chinatown is a half a mile north, on Valley View, which a excellent places to eat. The rooms are very clean and well kept, but the overall building is beginning to show its age. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. The new Asian restaurant is very good, but with Chinatown just up the street, why bother eating here? Sweet talk the check desk person to get a suite in the Masquerade Tower. The suites are newer and they have a better view of the strip. Also, this tower is adjacent to the parking garage.

6 Thank Denverbri69