Message from TripAdvisor:

“Going Downhill Big Time.....”

Palms Place Hotel and Spa
Ranked #80 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Windsor, Canada
“Going Downhill Big Time.....”
Reviewed September 28, 2011

Where do I begin…..

Pros:

Spacious one bedroom suite with living room, kitchen (with no pots or pans, so what’s the point), One and a half bathrooms, jet whirlpool in bedroom (amazing, best one I’ve ever used), and great views (floor to ceiling windows all around).

The hotel was pretty empty, which was great, but then also makes me wonder, why?

Valet guys were super nice and accommodating.

Parking lot was very close to the front entrance which saved a lot of time. Most hotels in Vegas would take you 10 – 15 minutes to get to your car.

Cons:

No staff. I would call the concierge and no one would pick up the phone. I would call the front desk and it would ring at least 50 – 60 times before I would either hang up or someone would finally pick up.

The concierge was extremely rude and wanted nothing to do with helping us find a club to go to. He was from England or something, just wanted to point that out, so that maybe the Palms will know who I am referring to.

The room was very big and modern, BUT, the damage in the room was ridiculous. Holes in the walls, wallpaper peeling off, cereal and crumbs under the couch, speaker broken off of the t.v., handles broken in the main shower, t.v. reception sucked, no pots or pans in the kitchen which to me is NOT a state of the art kitchen, as they would describe on their website. Why offer a stove to your customers when you don’t provide pots or pans. Do they actually think people are travelling with these things….give me a break.

The hotel was unstaffed, and rundown. I called for an extra blanket the first night and they told me they had run out……excuse me, like what do you even say to that. Ran out of blankets, but this is your business, providing your customers with comfort while they sleep….that was confusing. No one even apologized for it, they could have cared less. Here’s a little tip, Pamls, send one of your worker’s to go and buy a couple extra blankets at Walmart if you’re that in need, it’s really not that difficult. Another tip, if you’re going to charge people for damage, why don’t you try fixing it with the money you charged them, so the next customer doesn’t have to experience it.

The elevators, well, let’s just say that was a chore….getting your key to actually work was comical. I couldn’t even believe how inefficient that was. Great idea, if it actually worked. And really, it’s for security, you have one elevator that you don’t even need a key for. It will allow you to travel to any floor you want. As for the security on the main floor asking patrons to see their room keys, what a joke, you’re just misleading your customers in actually believing their safe, when in all reality, someone can just take the skytube (2nd floor) over from the palms casino and jump right on an elevator free and clear….no questions asked. Extremely poor setup and completely inefficient. I also loved how they were telling people who had just arrived that their elevators were experiencing NO problems. What a bunch of liars, I had already been there a week and there was nothing BUT problems the whole week, and they were quite aware of it.

The pool at the Palms Place was a complete JOKE. They have about 60 lawn chairs for people to sit on in total, however, they only have about 10 for free and if those 10 are already taken, it’s going to cost you. They don’t give those out for free…..yes, you read that right, they actually have the audacity to charge their own customers to sit down on a chair at the pool. I couldn’t even believe it, what’s next, are they going to start charging people to walk down the hall?….unbelievable.

The only good thing about this place, was leaving. It’s 100% going down the tubes and I don’t give it much longer (maybe a couple years) before they close the doors or turn it into a 2 star stratosphere hotel. They are obviously coming into some hard times, at least I would hope so, considering how they treat their hotel and their customers. The “no staff” and “not fixing the damage in their hotel” was a complete eye opener as to how bad they must really be doing.

All in all, if you get an amazing deal on a one or two bedroom suite, it might be worth it, because the rooms are so spacious, but that’s the only good thing about it.

Room Tip: Corner suites have amazing views.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank stilettokiller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (654)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Arcata, CA
Reviewed September 23, 2011

Black tile, black grout, accents of gray and stainless. Not my style at all but some might like it. The music in the elevators and lounges is really, really bad. Might be just me, but heavy metal at breakfast isn't really my idea of a good choice.

The elevators are slow, the service is very slow except for one bartender at Simon's who was really, really good. The food is great and the decor within Simon's is lovely. The drinks are interesting and well-made. Everywhere else the lighting is so bad you can't really see anything. For example, if you're trying to find your room, the hallways are so dark it is difficult to see the room numbers which are about 3 inches high.

The bed was comfortable, the linens of good quality, and our room was clean other than a left-over funky smell on the couch. The room had a great balcony but it didn't open. When we asked about they told us it wasn't available that day. We still don't know what that meant.

The resort fee of $15 doesn't cover the health club. That's an additional $30/day. When we asked the concierge what the fee DID cover, she had to call a supervisor to find out. They charge a $100/day security deposit fee, too.

Doesn't compare to the Trump, which really warrants the 5-stars both of these hotels have.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank goodrel8
Sugar Land, Texas
Reviewed September 23, 2011

We booked this hotel for my Mom's 80th birthday trip based on the write up and pictures online. We arrived to find a skanky old hotel that was dark, smelly, and NOTHING like we were expecting:( The room we were given was dirty, the sofa stained, the grout in the tub bubbling off and moldy, the furniture chipped and worn. We immediately wanted to leave and had to argue with the assistant manager about her wanting to charge us for the first night when we had been there 10 minutes. We finally were able to call the manager later and get the charges removed. Ended up at the Bellagio and had a great Birthday weekend...thank goodness!!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank jennifer m
Keego Harbor, Michigan
Reviewed September 21, 2011

This was my first stay at palms place and the rooms were incredible. The bathroom was first class. It had a rain shower stall and a extra large jacuzzi tub that fits 2 easily. I would definitely stay here again. Our only complaint was the service. We had sub par service at the lobby bar and guest services. The pool service I would actually say was horrible. Bad service does not sway my vote though, it really is a beautiful place.

• Stayed September 2011
3 Thank TRVLGAL_10
Reviewed September 21, 2011

We have stayed at many Las Vegas hotels with excellent service and reasonable rates, but given the rate and distance from the strip, I couldn't believe how bad the service was. Even just trying to get a taxi, which in Vegas is a basic amenity, there was very seldom someone to assist you! We mostly had staff staring at us like we had two heads, like they had no idea what they could possibly do to assist us. Are you kidding?! I have had such excellent stays in similar suites at the Venetian and Pallazo which have been cheaper, better service, and better amenities!!

Just don't be fooled by the website. You can do so much better on the Strip! Unless you are looking for the best experience of white trash in Vegas, don't stay at the Palm's place!

• Stayed September 2011
6 Thank Tiptonlkt
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed September 19, 2011

A large group of us stayed here last week and the rooms were great, no complaint there.

The elevators are horrible. You have to wait a minimum of 5 minutes to just get into the elevator (waited 15 minutes once) and then you have to insert your room key to get to your floor, but half the time your key will not register and the elevator will keep moving and it will miss your floor. THEN you have to go back down to the lobby before your key will register again.

The room keys get demagnetized. I cannot tell you how many times I had to go to the lobby and get a new key. They wouldn't work in the elevator, then I would get to my room and would have to go ALL THE WAY BACK DOWN to get a new key... then WAIT again for the elevator.

The hotel needs more staff. No Taxi's like to come all the way to the hotel, and would wait 20 minutes for a cab and would be the only person in the line.

I LOVED my room, but would never stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Try and get a 1 room corner suite - my whole group was upgraded.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank taylor b
San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Having stayed here twice in the past three months, I am not 100% sure I will be returning. Picking the Palms Place for my 30th birthday celebration was a carefully calculated decision and it was a success in some ways, but a major disappointment in one big way.

With a group of 30+ people, I knew I wanted a hotel that was smaller and would be easy to have my friends nearby. The Palms Place was perfect for this. Everything from the lobby to the pool to the bar made it easy to meet up and run into friends throughout the course of the weekend. My friends loved the modern touches and the friendly pool staff.

The problem was with our 2 bedroom suite which was really two different hotel rooms "connected." On-line, this suite is advertised as 1,800 square feet and cost us $700 per night. We thought it would be a perfect room to host my welcome cocktail party on Friday night and entertain guests. And while it worked, it was not what was advertised or made to believe what it was. It consists of a 1-Bedroom Suite and a Studio Suite with 2 closing doors leading to the main floor hallway. There are two different room numbers and does not give the feel that you are in a 2-Bedroom Suite. Our cocktail party never left the 1-Bedroom Suite, as being in the Studio Suite would have been a different party altogether. Additionally, had we have booked a 1-Bedroom Suite and a Studio Suite seperately, we would have saved $150 per night at time of booking. This did not make me a happy hotel guest.

When we brought up our concerns to the front desk, the hotel representative was a tad bit argumentative and didn't seem too concerned with our complaint. She then confirmed that had we booked seperately, it would have been cheaper, but we "pay a premium" to have the rooms side-by-side. After explaining that we had brought in 30+ people to their hotel and felt slightly cheated, she apologized and said the best she could do was $50 off per night. Even if she had used the $50 per night to send up a basket of fruit for my guests or a couple bottles of bubbly, with a note apologizing, it would have gone a lot further. I guess this is the difference between Palms Place and the Mandarin Oriental or even Aria.

If I received a good offer to stay in the 1-Bedroom Suite, I would consider. But otherwise, my second impression was slightly soured.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends