“Excellent Indian Cuisine!”

Neighborhood: Enterprise
Macau, China
“Excellent Indian Cuisine!”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Tucked away in a non description small strip mall is this gem of an Indian restaurant. The Chef who is the owner is passionate about his food, his customers and providing the best meal for his guests. The difference with this Indian cuisine is that it is healthy, Chef uses little to no oil, yet the food is absolutely delicious. The spices are distinct and tasty. There is no mistake that the Chef is good. Forget the location, forget the quaintness of the interior, go for the food. The menu is simple....if the dish you desire is not listed, ask for it. Bindi masala, chicken tikka masala, lamb sag waala, all tasty. The dessert, usually not for everyone's palate was simple, yet a perfect end to the meal. Prices are very fair and as you literally finish every bite on your plate, no signs of oil or grease remain! A must for anyone who enjoys good Indian cuisine.

• Visited May 2013

Las Vegas, Nevada
“Extremely Overpriced”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

This place is overpriced for an Indian restaurant and not very authentic. I ordered the chicken tikka, which should be small chunks of baked boneless chicken breast using skewers in a tandoor oven after marinating in spices and yogurt. Most Indian restaurants serve chicken tikka sizzling on a heated plate with grilled onions, lemons and sometimes green peppers. Instead I received pieces of cold, unmarinated chicken thighs with raw onions - the chicken was neither red in color nor was it sizzling. The owner simply said that's how we do it here. A meal for two without drinks will set you back $50. Do yourself a big favor and go to Mt. Everest instead - the food is way more authentic and a fraction of the price. Also, if you dine at Mantra Masala you'll likely be eating alone as the place was empty for good reason.

• Visited April 2013
“Awesomeness”
Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

Finally great ethnic food in this valley. Flavorful, tasty, the owner is a wealth of knowledge and can explain each dishes beginnings, importance and region. A place we will go back to.

Claremont, California
“Wonderful food, customized service”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We recently at here and then went back the very next night! Chef Bose was very attentive and supportive of our dietary restrictions. He prepared food for us which was not on the menu, just to accommodate us. The ingredients were fresh, flavorful and very, very delicious.

• Visited October 2012
Las Vegas
“Worst Indian Restaurant”
Reviewed August 9, 2009

Worst indian restaurant to date. The food quality is bad, they are cheap and their food is expensive. First, let me get the positive out. The servers were quite courteous and gave me a glass of water while I was waiting for the food pickup. That goes into the star that I put.
When ordering, the server welcomes me as a first timer and boasts that they don't use oils, sodium and other stuff he mentions, to prepare their food. I say "ok" thinking to myself how can indian food be good without any oil, I'm not ordering indian food to lose weight. But I decide to give it a try before judging. First of all, the bill comes up about $5 high and I inquire about it. Server says it's because he's giving me another order of bigger rice for the chicken tikka masala because the rice that comes with it is a small amount. I'm thinking what! But I had already ran my card, so I decide not to argue. I take the food home and it's a dissapointment on every level.
The samosas are gummy and dry, I've had better frozen samosas. The chicken tikka masala tastes like it is something out of a can, and lacking richness (probably has to do with what the server boasted about). Not to mention it is too little for a dinner entre of that price. Here's the laughable part. There were 2 containers of rice. The smaller container (the free one that supposedly comes with the entre), I kid you not, contained 1-2 ounces of rice. The bigger one probably less than 0.5 a cup. You'd have to be really cheap and deceptive when you charge an extra $5 for something that should be part of a meal, and not even let him know you are doing it.
I'm not indian but I've been to numerous restaurants in Michigan, New York and California and I can cook chicken curry. Nothing comes as low as this one. It amazes me how restaurants like these are still in business. I bet most of their business relies on first timer tourists or people who really have no point of reference when it comes to Indian food. Next time, I'll spare the money and drive about 5 miles to the Samosa Factory. The name is not appealing but quality is way better.

2 Thank nomantramasalaforme