“Overall Nice Stay/ had some issues”

Mardi Gras Hotel & Casino
Ranked #150 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Overall a nice stay, rooms very spacious and the beds are very comfortable. Hotel lobby to smoking, casino very small, most of the staff friendly except for bartenders. The ice and soda machines were out, went in to get ice, bartender didn't pay any attention to me until someone came and told him I was waiting for some ice because the machine was out. Second encounter with bartender, my mom went inside to get a soda because the bottle soda machine was out, they charged her $5.00 for two sodas. How rude, there machine was out, it should have been free! Make sure if you make a reservation online with this hotel, make sure the fax your confirmation to the correct number otherwise you will have to wait for them to fax it again and put it in the system. Crazy!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
BWmardigras, General Manager at Mardi Gras Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

We Thank You for your comments about your recent stay with us and are happy that you enjoyed you stay. We have contacted the Soda Vendor and they are going to be coming out more often to check the Inventory in the Machines.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,417)

Reviewed August 1, 2013

This hotel was nice enough but it is quite far away from the strip. We found that it was better value to get a cab that to get the monorail. The "casino" in the building (just some slot machines) took up a fair bit of space by the reception. The restaurant was really good and the food was yum. There was a power cut while we were there an the power was out for 12hrs. It was a bit disappointing that nobody came to tell us what was going on or when we could expect the power to be back on.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your recent review of our property. We do apologize that a major Monsoon hit the Las Vegas Valley during your stay as it is Monsoon Season. We do hope that you will choose to stay with us agin on your next trip to Las Vegas.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Once again we have had a lovely 2 week stay at this little gem of a hotel. Situated off the strip- it provides a welcome retreat from the hustle and bustle of the main drag- a place to escape to.

Arriving in the afternoon- we were delighted to receive such a warm welcome from all the familiar faces and were instantly made to feel at home by the staff.

We stayed on ground floor poolside room 1170- this pleased us very much, whilst all the rooms are pretty much the same, this one is very convenient. (last year we stayed in 1169).

I'm not going to say that the hotel is modern, hi tec and in superb condition, because it isn't, yes the WIFI is a bit hit and miss but it's cleaned constantly all day and the maids work hard at keeping up to the rooms. The Mardis Gras could indeed do with a face lift but what it lacks in beauty it makes up for in friendliness and warm atmosphere.

The one thing which is obvious when staying here is that many travelers pass through- the turn over of people staying for a couple of nights is great. This didn't bother us at all neither did the fact that we were often the only Brits in the place. We met some nice people.

in a nut shell: pool: clean and easy to get a lounger before 3pm when it starts to get busy.

Room: large if not a little tired with the most comfortable bed in the world, kitchenette with fridge. bath with shower over. Hairdryer. large wardrobe (took my own hangers as not enough). Sofa coffee table and TV.

Launderette- handy and cheap.

Small casino with slots.

Free shuttle bus to Ballys on the strip hourly. No air con on bus so can be an uncomfortable 10 minute journey!

Staff: mostly warm and welcoming although Patty on late night reception might benefit from some charm lessons and it would be nice if the owner Philippe would show more/some interest in his paying guests.....

We can only thank the bar staff, Tim, Nadia and Jerry for making us feel special once again- always welcoming they are lovely as are the casino workers and of course, a real credit to the hotel. These guys really are the best!!!

The shuttle bus drivers are good too, in particular Mel- a true gent. These men work in horrendous heat as there is no aircon in the mini bus and no windows to open so be warned - and to be honest we often took a taxi to the strip as we couldn't bare the heat in the bus. Fortunately we had a choice but the drivers don't.

It was good to once again see Terry from laundry as well.

One thing to be aware and one small gripe of ours is that there is no emergency lighting should there be a power cut. There was a heavy storm and the electricity cut off over night- it was a bit scary trying to find our way around a hotel in pitch black, fortunately we had a torch app on my phone, even scarier that the lovely Patty was left to deal with people's concerns in her ever gentle manner!!!

All in all we would recommend the Mardis Gras to anyone on a budget or travelling alone- it may not be 5 star luxury but it certainly puts a smile on our face- would we go back?...absolutely!!!

Room Tip: try to stay on the ground floor facing the pool. climbing outdoor stairs in the heat is uncomfortab...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lesleypresley
BWmardigras, General Manager at Mardi Gras Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Thank You for your recent comments about your stay with us. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay and do hope that when your travels bring you back to Las Vegas that you choose to stay with us again and see the changes that we are planning for 2014.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I let the hotel know in two separate ways that I would be arriving late. They said that this would be ok. When I arrived they cancelled my reservation and were sold out of non smoking rooms. They wanted to put me into a smoking room but I refused. I asked them to move me to another hotel but they couldn't without doubling the price of my stay. Finally after arguing with the front desk person for a while she gave me a non smoking room even though she had been telling me the entire time they were all full. The room was super warm when I entered because they shut off AC and it was summer time in vegas so it took over an hour for us to get the room a decent temp.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank You for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay. We do apologize that there were some bumps at check in. We do try to accomodate all request that we are given and unfortunately sometimes we can not and do try our best to accomodate all of our guest. We do hope that if your travels bring you back to the Las Vegas area that you would give us another chance.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Hotel has perfect location for easy , fast access in and out.. I had many business meetings and evening dinners. Walking distance to the Las Vegas convention Ctr. The restaurant and Bar very good and quick breakfeast is ideal. The pool looked very inviting, but on business did not get to use. maybe next time.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Patrick B
BWmardigras, General Manager at Mardi Gras Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

We Thank You for taking the time to review our property and are very Happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I chose to stay a small hotel. The staff was great and the bartender got to know my name. That does not happen at the large properties. The hotel is located in close to the strip. A free shuttle took me to Ballys and I walked from there. The room was hugh. It had a family room and bedroom. It was like staying in a suite. Lastly, the price was right. I paid $69. The Marriot next door was $180 and the embassy suite was $130. I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kimberly E
BWmardigras, General Manager at Mardi Gras Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

All of us at the Mardi Gras Thank You for taking the time to let us know about your recent visit with us. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and do hope that you will come back and stay again.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

When you are going to Vegas on a budget, you can still be close to the strip, without paying strip prices. The Best Western Mardi Gras Inn is a nice, clean motel with more amenities than expected. I came in for a few days midweek, and though they didn't have my reservation, still gave me the Manager's special price I had reserved. The room was a mini-suite with a very comfortable bed. The A/C was cold (essential in Vegas in late July), there was a restaurant and lounge and I could park right in front on my room to keep an eye on my car. There were no unpleasant incidents and I was extremely pleased. The strip was a few blocks away and my room rate was extremely inexpensive. You will probably prefer to have a car for this hotel; Though they have shuttles hourly to the strip , as well as the airport. I can recommend this hotel highly, I had a great stay!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Go2Snow

Thank You for taking the time to tell us about your stay. We are very Happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and do hope that if your Travels being you back to the Las Vegas Area that you will choose to stay with us again...