“Amazing Place”

The Palazzo Resort Hotel Casino
Ranked #7 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 15, 2008

I have been to Vegas four times and have stayed at the MGM, Mandalay Bay, Bellagio, and Venetian. This is the best hotel yet. Check in on a Thursday afternoon was immediate. We got placed on the 34th floor with an amazing view of the golf course. The room is huge, even a little bit bigger than the Venetian which until the Palazzo had the largest room in Vegas. The room must have been more than 700 square feet, with a bedroom, sunken living room, and large bathroom. The furniture is all beautiful, high quality, and not over the top like the Venetian. It was all very comfortable. The shades are controlled by a remote which is a cool touch and nice for when you wake up in the morning and want to open the shades without getting out of bed. There are 3 flat screen TVs. One in the bedroom, one in living room, and a smaller one in the bathroom. The shower is large and nice. I could go on and on, but basically this is the nicest room I have ever stayed in, and I have been to many places. Sheldon Adelson really knows how to make nice rooms.

The casino was nicer than the Venetian's in my opinion. It has high ceilings and is less crowded and smoky. The dealers were friendly and it was easy to get around. Elevators to the garage and room were efficient considering how big the place is.

Service was good. Room was always cleaned when we were gone. Staff were friendly and helpful. I chatted with a security officer for almost 45 minutes and he raved about Adelson and about the place, and gave me some restaurant tips.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank mrfood16
There are newer reviews for The Palazzo Resort Hotel Casino

Reviewed July 14, 2008

Stayed over the weekend of July 11 to 13.

Valet - excellent! Quickly took care of our bags and were delivered to our rooms within 10 minutes of check-in. Had the car up and cooled within 5 minutes.

Check-In - ran about 10 minutes. Extremely professional desk staff. Was asked if we would like to upgrade but not pushy when we declined. Accommodated our request to be near our friends' room.

Lobby/Casino - beautiful decor. Sophisticated and quiet elegance. Extremely clean, no litter to be seen, ashtrays were clean. Loved the scent, no icky leftover smoke smell. The common areas throughout the hotel were always well maintained and seemed very uncrowded the entire time.

Security - guards at every room elevator location asked for our room keys. I also did see them refuse admittance several times to other parties for lack of room keys. While those parties complained quite loudly and used awful language at one point, the guard refused to backed down but politely called another security escort for them to the main lobby to figure out their lack of key issue. Pool area security also asked for our room keys several times.

Dining - excellent everywhere we ate. Grand Lux was adequate for breakfast though I do like a huge buffet for breakfast and The Palazzo does not have one on property and neither does The Venetian. There is a very small continental type breakfast buffet within Grand Lux. Morel's was outstanding. They do need to work on the price point of the wine list and food. The wine list was a bit disorganized and I saw the Sommelier blatantly refuse to come to our table when our waiter requested him to do so twice. While the food and service was phenomenal, the price far exceeded what you can find at other high end restaurants in Vegas. The Coffee Bean was great as always and Espresso Illy's was delicious.

Rooms/Housekeeping - lovely, huge suite. I LOVED the pillows. Our room was supplied with all foam pillows, huge and firm. I can't stand down pillows that collapse in a giant ball around your head. Room was very, very clean and always adequately supplied though our suite never received turn down service while our friends with the exact same room type on the same floor did receive it each night. Was it because they were located closer to the housekeeping office/supply room on our particular floor?

Staff - overall very accommodating and helpful. We were often asked if we needed assistance or were enjoying our stay from everyone we encountered. The only exception was the terrible pool staff. Drink service was available from only 2 cocktail girls both of who completely ignored you unless you had a 20-something boy toy in your party. Service was fine if you went up to the bar and ordered for yourself. Food service is absolutely non-existent unless you book a cabana for the day. At $400 for the cabana, which includes nothing but the simple cabana and two lounge chairs, it's ridiculous. You can go up to the Solara's to-go window and order and take it out to your chairs yourself. The food was great, but after paying a premium for my stay, I expected full service out by the pool. When I did finally approach one of the pool staff, she was young, rude and indifferent. A complete turn off. The water stations were never supplied with water but there were cups -- strange.

Pool - Very nice. There was plenty of chairs for everyone. Pool water was clean and the temperature was perfect. The restrooms were a bit stuffy and at times there was a line. Loungers were clean and towels plentiful.

Spa/Fitness center - friend used the spa and had a treatment and liked it though remarked it was nothing special and comparable to what we can get for much less money here in San Diego. Fitness center looked outstanding though we refused to pay an additional $35 per person, per day! to utilize it. Very disappointing. We were already paying a per day facility charge. I'm not really sure what it covered.

Casino/bars - fun and not smokey. Dealers seemed to be happy though table limits are starting to be so high they are a turn-off. We only gambled a very nominal amount. Casino overall was not crowded at any time of the day or night. I would say it is smaller compared to other resorts, but I prefer it that way.

Shopping - amazing to look at, but like a ghost town. I don't think they did themselves any favors making the high end shopping two levels. There was rarely anyone on the upper level at all. Honestly, they need to throw in a few more affordable shops.

If The Palazzo can iron out some of the annoying little details they seem to be missing, I would stay again. There are so many other properties to choose from at and below their price point who provide better service overall, it won't be any time soon though.

6  Thank VCTraveler
Reviewed July 13, 2008

Stay and Background:
4 nights at the new Palazzo hotel. I travel to Las Vegas 4-5 times a year from Florida. Fortunately I have stayed in many of the best hotels in Las Vegas on the strip including the Bellagio, the Wynn, the Venetian, etc.

In short:
The Palazzo, to me, is simply an extension of the Venetian hotel.
A seamless transition to "another tower" accessed from the Venetian, which includes many excellent dining choices.

Lobby Area:
The lobby area is very clean and serene, a bit cooler in color scheme (blues/browns) and feel compared to the rich colored Italian feel (golds/reds) of the Venetian.

Rooms:
Standard Room, 2 queen Beds, 7th Floor
Pros - Very spacious and comfortable, including the bed
Cons- a little dark, needed more lighting. A few minor misses such as hole in the wall, bathroom toilet area light bulb out, all of which was fixed within short period of time by courteous staff.
Had to call more than once for maidstaff to clean our rooms, hope they get this corrected soon!

Restaurants/Dining:
Ate at most of the new restaurants, overall: EXCELLENT
As is most Las Vegas dining in the upper echelon of resorts, rather expensive, but to me worth it nonetheless.

CARNEVINO real nice porterhouse steak for two, huge restaurant, great service.
DOS CAMINOS mexican food - excellent fresh guacamole, queso fundido, and lobster ceviche, great service. Would eat here for lunch.
THE CUT also nice steaks, more modern decor and feel.
MOREL'S (lobby area) very intimate feel and tasty food. Fresh bread to table, be careful save room for your meal!
GRAND LUX hard to beat for value and consistent food. Try the Sangria! Yes, that's right...Sangria!
DAL TORO (lobby area) - nice break from the expensive dining choices. Solid choice for italian food, more family style with a twist, lamborghini's in view from your table, also views of the strip. Experienced this a few days after opening, just getting the staff situated and kinks out, everyone trying their best and very helpful.
40/40 CLUB - my biggest dissapointment. Although the club is quite amazing and the best place to watch a sports game (was there during the NBA finals as well) the food is AT BEST average. Maybe they will get this one right as time goes on.
JADE - another restaurant which needs improvement, not impressed, love Japanese/Asian cuisine just didn't cut it in my view.
ESPRESSAMENTE ILLY - best place for espresso or cafe, gelato, or nice morning breakfast sandwiches, fruit, etc.

Casino:
More open spaces than the Venetian
Square in appearance, almost a "big box" with restaurants around the perimeter. Plays music over the speaker system day and night which keeps a nice mood.
Feels a little lacking of character, maybe it is just too open, therefore, feeling a bit less intimate.

Summary:
I really enjoyed the time in the Palazzo. Found myself walking to the Venetian to gamble. Dining was great, room comparable to the Venetian.

However, when looking back on my stay, I would not say the Palazzo blew me away on its own merit, rather the Venetian/Palazzo experience in combination hands down has the most entertainment, dining, and shopping available anywhere on the strip. You never have to leave the premises.

The Venetian or Palazzo tower to me are one in the same for accomodations.

Hope this helps!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
6  Thank gringocito
Reviewed July 13, 2008

The Palazzo is a new version of the Venetian. The suites are very similar. Very large and with all the amenities you expect from a luxury hotel. The bed is separate from the living room area, which is nice if you plan on spending some time in your. Gives you space to relax in on the large sofa and watch one of the two 42inch plasma tv's. Just be prepared to pay an arm and a leg for anything in the mini bar. Just moving an item from it's spot and you have to pay. The items are on senors, so do not touch unless your buying!!! The bathrooms are very large and brightly lit. The casino is also lighted well. Good variety of slots and many table games. Most of the restaurants are open now. But most are high end restaurants. The shops on the second are opening every week. Most are open now, but again, these are the high end shops. I have photos of the suite I was in on my blog:http://lasvegasfun.blogspot.com/
The Palazzo and Venetian are both very fine choices and good places to spend your vacation!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled solo
3  Thank caplondon
Reviewed July 12, 2008

I read some of the reviews here for the Palazzo and I have to say, I have stayed there twice and thoroughly enjoyed both stays. I'll be going again in August and can't wait. First off, all my stays have been comped. A bonus indeed. The rooms are very large (all are suites) and very well appointed.

This last stay in June the man checking us in at the Invited Guest desk gave us a free upgrade to a massive suite for 3 nights since it was my birthday. We called room service upon getting into the room and ordered up ice and several champagne buckets and they were there within 10 minutes. Very prompt.

Since we gambled all night the 1st night, they respected our Do Not Disturb and left a card in the key slot to call when we wanted service. We called and left and upon our return, the room was made up. We had turndowns every night.

The casino isn't huge but has plenty of tables and isn't crowded which is nice. The air quality in the casino is great! No smoke, high ceilings...a real plus. Food quality and service at the Grand Lux was good. The beignets are fabulous! I can't wait to leave again in 3 weeks for another free stay! I'll go back again and again!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
3  Thank dsigner
Reviewed July 11, 2008

Stayed at The Palazzo July 3-5 and 9-11 (went to California in between) and had a great stay.

We had an early flight and arrived in Vegas around 9am and went straight to the Palazzo. The second that the cabbie hit the breaks, we had valets opening all three doors, and by the time we stepped out, our luggage was already out of the trunk. I don't know why, but great valet/bell service really impresses me. Anyway, we gave the valet our last name and she informed us that our luggage would be sent to the room promptly after check-in. We headed to the front desk...which is located right inside the front door...I was thankful to not have to trek through a casino looking for it. And by the way - all the doorways have designated doormen - a feature that you won't find anywhere else in Vegas. Anyway, we gave the clerk our name and confirmation number, and she said that even though it was 9am, we could still check-in. She even waived the early check-in fee and upgraded us to a room on the 50th floor with a view of the Wynn golf course! That's service if you ask me.

Then, we headed up the the room. And by the way, we didn't have to wait for the elevators. In fact, we never had to wait for the elevators, and never had to stop at more than three floors on the way up. Keep in mind that I was on the 50th floor AND this was 4th of July weekend. Anyway, when we opened the door to our room, we were amazed. You walk into a marble foyer with a HUGE bathroom on the right - complete with a flat screen TV, double sinks, a huge shower, a jacuzzi tub, a vanity area, and a separate room for the toilet. All, of course, done in marble. Past the bathroom was an area with a King size bed, a flat screen tv, a chair, and two nightstands. Then, there is a small half-wall sort of thing. Beyond the half-wall is an area with a sectional couch that can easily seat 6 and pulls out into a bed, a desk, a table with room for 3, and another flat screen tv. The lightning was great, the furniture was all dark wood, and the color pallet was primarily beiges and browns - very tasteful and elegant. The drapes opened with a remote, and every evening housekeeping came in and turned down the bed, dimmed the lights, put on relaxing music, closed the drapes, left chocolates, gave you new towels, and put ice in the ice bucket.

The entire property is a lot like the rooms - pure luxury. High ceilings, tons of marble, the works. Not over-the-top like other Vegas resorts though - very classy and tasteful. The casino is really nice - a good size, with high ceilings, and not too smoky. On the floor above the casino, there is shopping area anchored by a massive Barney's New York with upscale stores like Ralph Lauren, Jimmy Choo, Mont Blanc, etc. that is connected to The Venetian's Grand Canal Shoppes.

The pool deck is unbelievable - it's composed of about two large pools, one medium pool, two small pools, and 3 (that I counted) hot tubs - all spread out over a huge area with elaborate landscaping and fountains separating them. There's also a huge bar and cocktail service. Oh, and certain areas of the pools have these cool chairs that lay in the water, so you can lay out on the lounge chair and still be in the water. It's very cool. And if that's not enough, the Palazzo pool deck connects to The Venetian pool deck, which has two large pools and TAO Beach.

We only ate at two on-site restaurants - Grand Lux Cafe for breakfast, which was good, but a little overpriced, and Wolfgang Puck's Postrio at The Venetian, which was delicious.

I do have a few minor issues with the property - these are the only reasons I didn't give the hotel 5 stars.

When we first walked into our room, the headboard for the bed was loose on one side - so it was basically hanging from the ceiling on only one side and looked like it was about to fall. I called priority service and they sent someone up to fix it. But, I think that something like that should have been noticed by the housekeeping staff before we even got to the room.

Some of the furniture was a little scuffed. One of the nightstands was missing 3 of its handles. The dresser/console unit under the tv by the bed was missing one of its handles. How is this kind of stuff not noticed?

The first afternoon that I was there, I called to have a bucket of ice brought up. The operator told me it would be 30-45 minutes. For ice. I asked her if there was somewhere I could get ice, and she said there was an ice machine on every floor. So I searched the entire floor for ice, and couldn't find it. I finally asked a housekeeper that I saw in the hallway, and she led me to a door that looks exactly like the ones for the rooms. It didn't have any indication whatsoever that it housed the ice machine. No sign, no nothing. Just a plain door. At a place like this, I should be able to have ice brought to my room very quickly - and if that's not possible, I shouldn't have to search the entire floor for 15 minutes to try and find the ice machine.

At around 10am, I called priority service to have someone sent up to make up the pullout sofa. I wait 20 minutes. I call again, and tell them that no one has come up yet. She was very friendly, and says she will send someone up right away. I wait another 20 minutes. I call again, this time very pissed off, and inform the operator that we've all been trying to get to sleep and that I've had to call three times to try and get someone up to make up the pullout. She's very apologetic, and says that it usually is about a 30-45 minute wait to have the pullout made up. I'm sorry, but that is just ridiculous. The guy finally came to make the thing up - but 45 minutes is a joke. "Priority service?" I understand that combined with The Venetian this is a 7,000 room property - but they obviously are a little understaffed.

In review, I had a few minor issues, but I would definitely stay here again. And at $199/night you just can't beat the space/price/luxury quotient.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank vegophile
Reviewed July 10, 2008

We stayed at the new Palazzo in June. The hotel and casino were great. Just beautiful. We have previously stayed at The Venetian and found the rooms to be exactly the same. The casino at The Venetian is larger and therefore, I think the filtration system is better. The smoke at the Palazzo casino is much more noticable. I realize there are many people who smoke but there are many more of us who do not and I wish the casinos would pay more attention to those of us who don't.

While staying at the Palazzo, we ate dinner at The Cut. It was fabulous! The food was fantastic and the service was very good. If you would like a great steak, eat at The Cut which is located right at the Palazzo.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple