“A bit quirky, but good entertainment”
Review of World's Greatest Magic Show - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
World's Greatest Magic Show
Reviewed April 5, 2008

We had one night in Vegas and I needed to find a show suitable for the kids to watch (aged 6 and 10).

After about half an hour's search on the internet in the hotel room, the only reasonably child friendly show I could find was "THE GREATEST MAGIC SHOW ON EARTH" (the Excalibur show wasn't on that night). Advertised as being voted best show for several years and with several "awards" from magician's guild and the like, it looked good.

Rather naively envisaging a Vegas dinner show, I booked "VIP" dinner and show tickets for myself, Mrs Chris, the 2 children and their grandma to see the show.

Arriving at the place was a bit of a shock. The "hotel casino" is a little run down and you walk through something closer to an English working man's club than a Vegas casino to get your tickets.

The before show VIP dinner is a set "chicken, beef or veg" menu held in the hotel's cafe down the corridor from the small theatre.

The food was very very ordinary, but the service was exceptionally good.

The magic show itself was held in a 400 seat theatre. It's probably worth paying the extra $20 for a booth as they are comfortable and there is a waitress to get drinks during the show.

The compare was funny in a self deprecating way and involved some members of the audience without resorting to belittling the volunteers in any way as is so often the preserve of stage presenters.

He introduced 3 magicians over the course of about 80 minutes. 1 was very good, one, ok and one frankly poor.

But, it was an entertaining 80 minutes and the kids absolutely loved it. You get to meet the magicians and compare afterwards and they sell t-shirts for $5 which they will all sign for you.

Overall, not what we expected and you have to have a bit of a sense of humour, but as long as you don't go expecting a ritzy "Vegas" show and take it on face value, you will have a good evening.

Just don't stop for the karaoke in the bar afterwards.

2  Thank Chriswith2kids

Reviewed February 29, 2008

Let me start off by saying I did not stay at this hotel, but rather went for the "World's Greatest Magic Show". So although I can't comment on the rooms I can give you a flavor of what this place was like.
I just got in from Vegas last night and just had to see what the other reviewers had written about this hotel because it is so seedy and rundown! I also wanted to see what the room rates were like because I stayed at Luxor for $76 a night so based on the what the 'casino' and entertainment areas looked like at Greek Isles, I could only imagine it should be about $20/night.
It is dirty and smoky and dusty and honestly I felt like I was on a movie set. The other people there were like a cast of characters in a Vegas movie where something really horrible happens in a seedy hotel. There were the lounge singers in their 70's, the gambler with the leg brace and eye patch, the hunched over old man working the door of the show and the big haired ticket ladies. The decor is decades old and there is a layer of dust over everything. Actually it was so bad it was entertaining. There are statues behind glass in the hall as you wait in line for the show and the one near the wedding chapel is a dusty old bride who looks like a corpse propped up in a plexiglass coffin. I can't imagine having a wedding here...it is beyond cheesy Vegas, it's sad and sorry.
At the show they try to get you to upgrade your seats for $20 which I think is a total rip off. However, if you have kids and are seated at the back of the long tables it might make sense so they can actually see. BUT I think it's ridiculous that you should even be in that position as the seats should be arranged in a much better way. Or they should just seat short people at the front.

As I mentioned earlier, I stayed at Luxor for much less than the advertised rate at the Greek Isles so I can't imagine there's any reason to have to stay at this place. And I think some of the more favorable reviews on the site must be planted or things actually were better a couple of years ago.

1  Thank katumba
Reviewed November 17, 2007

I don't have much experience with seeing Las Vegas magic shows but we thought this was fun for those with kids. The kids are free. The magic show has a mix of stuff you've seen a million times and some new tricks that we've never ever seen before, not even on TV. The venue is The Greek Isles Hotel & Casino which is in need of a face lift. Don't get the dinner with show package. We did the dinner which is served in the hotel dinning room and the food and service was poor and we ended up having to kill an hour after dinner ended which was tough since we had kids. So eat elsewhere and just see the show. The entire cast comes out into the lobby to meet the audience as you leave the show to sign autographs on the T-Shirts they sell for only $5 which the kids loved. There is cocktail service inside the show which wasn't bad.

1  Thank TheExecutive
Reviewed August 9, 2007

This show is at the "Greek Isles hotel". I took my daughter to see this magic show this past weekend. I do not recommend this at all. The worst magic show I have ever seen. Thankfully, we got our tickets 1/2 price on the strip next to the MGM. Even at 1/2 price it was not worth it. Don't waste your money and time on this one. Pay the extra $ and go see a real show on the strip. The usher charged us an extra $20 to have our own booth. The booth was comfortable and that was it.