“Very cool place”

Neighborhood: Downtown
Longueuil, Canada
“Very cool place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2012

A nice place to hang out with friends. The firepit is great, especially on chilly winter nights. Cosy atmosphere, lots of locals. Drinks are on the strong side... Would definitely go back!

• Visited January 2012

Las Vegas, Nevada
“The Griffin is a great Dive Bar”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2011

The Griffin is a great bar to just stop by and grab a couple on not too expensive drinks. A lot of locals head there during the week, and a lot of tourists on the weekends. It's definitely one of the better bars on Freemont, and one of the most well known.

Visited December 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Drink where the locals do”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2011

A local recommended it and that is all we saw: locals drinking good beer.
A nice atmosphere with fire and big couches. Highly recommended!
They have proper beers, and at decent prices. The outside is a bit of but inside it is really atmospheric. No tourists really, and just off Fremont St, so not badly located

1 Thank Louisecosgrave
Santa Susana CA
“You gotta have sleeves”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2008

Baggy pants down past your crotch, tats, body pierciengs,bling jewelry and sideways baseball caps are OK but you gotta have sleeves. Give me a break!
What is it with freakin bouncers that like to put their hands on you? Why? Well the bouncer at the door was too busy talking to a couple of females to notice me going in, but the one inside came up and put his hands on me because I wasn't wearing sleeves? I was dressed better than anyoune else in there as far as I could tell. He's lucky I didn't cold cock him but I didn't feel like making an issue of it at the time.

I,ve seen better security at Chucky Cheese.

It's down across from the El Cortez and believe me, that area hasn't been cleaned up as much as some would try to have you believe. An unruly crowd hangs out in front of this place. My wife wouldn't walk past there.

Now, I'm not some old fart, I play guitar in a hard rock band.So, trust me.

It's OK for a punk bar, that is if you're a punk.

Don't bother.

3 Thank BenJammin101
Lake Charles, Louisiana
“Best bar/lounge to hang out with locals”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2008

After trying to get into one of the Mega Clubs on the strip we wanted to see where the locals hung out. This place was recommended to us by our waitress. It's downtown which could be a pain to get to if you're staying on the strip.

Looking at the place from the outside you don't know what to expect. First positives were the lack of a cover charge and a friendly doorman. Once you walk in the first thing you notice is the decor. It looks like a plush medieval dungeon. There is concrete fashioned to look like stone walls with arches, a fireplace is located in the middle of the room, and other things to add to ambiance.

As for the essentials there is plenty of seating in the place for size it is. There are booths along the walls and couches in middle. Drink prices I would consider fairly average (pint of hoegarden was $5 and a grey goose & tonic was $6). The bar runs almost the length of the first room and I never had a problem getting a drink The music in the first room is played off a jukebox that has a great selection of indie, alt, and other great music. There is a second room with a dance floor that has couches along the walls and a dj spinning an eclectic mix of hip hop, 80s and reggae.

If I had to describe the crowd it would be scensters, locals, and tourist who heard about this place by word of mouth. There was no dress code from what I could tell but people did put effort into what they were wearing. The people I talked were very friendly and i would say unless you're a total introvert striking up a conversation here is fairly easy.

This was by far the best lounge/bar that I went to while i was in vegas.

There is another favorable review of this place that some how wound under restaurants.

5 Thank FreeLow