“Totally yummy lunch!”

Streetcar Po-Boys
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
“Totally yummy lunch!”
Reviewed May 17, 2014

We had an Amazon Local coupon and decided to give Streetcar Po-Boys a try. The restaurant is in a little strip-mall near the freeway, not a lot in this area besides businesses and the railroad tracks. We weren't quite sure what to expect when we walked up to the restaurant, but it's very cute and festive and cool inside, with beads hanging on the lights, very colorful walls with nice New Orleans purple, lovely booths and a lunch counter, everything was very colorful and funky. We chose the lunch counter, as the place was fairly empty..........maybe it's more crowded during the lunch hour during the week! While we were there, Louis Armstrong serenaded us over the surprisingly good speaker system, adding to the atmosphere.

The menu has sandwiches (duh, the restaurant's name kinda gives you the idea that it's a sandwich shop :-) ), and a few side dishes and desserts. Most of the po-boys can be ordered regular or large, except for the muffaletta, which is one-size (5 inch). We decided to start with an order of Cajun fries, and ordered the fried shrimp po-boy (dressed with lettuce, tomato, sauce and pickles) and the muffaletta (not dressed).

Our server was great and kept my water glass topped up, which often doesn't happen. I guess most servers figure that they're not getting tipped on someone drinking plain water, so I always have to ask for more water. Not this time! Our server was really good about it, and also never made us feel like second class citizens for using a coupon (which also happens more often than not). Kudos to the wait staff, and thank you very much!

The po-boy was a good 12 inches, cut in half. The muffaletta was also cut in half, and both sandwiches were served with home-made Cajun chips and a little dish of cole slaw. We shared so we each got to try each sandwich. Sandwiches are served in little plastic trays with a parchment-like paper lining.

Our verdict:
Fries - so-so, not a lot of spice and a fairly small order. That was definitely OK by us, though, because we had MORE than plenty of food to eat.
Cole slaw - really good, a bit sweet and creamy, yummy!
Home made Cajun chips - likewise good!
Fried shrimp po-boy - very excellent and very messy.
Muffaletta - very excellent and wonderfully tasty with juicy warm meats and melting gooey cheese and olive tapenade. You CAN get the muffaletta dressed with lettuce, tomato, etc., but it's not traditionally served that way so we went traditional.

Both breads (sandwich roll and muffaletta "round" with sesame seeds) were excellent!

We were happy and stuffed to the gills with what we'd ordered, but then our server said that the sandwiches came with 2 beignets! Who were we to say "no thank you"? So the beignets came out, two lovely fresh fried beignets heavily dusted with powdered sugar and oooohhhh so tasty! We shared one and thought we'd take the other one home. Then (surprise!) out came a SECOND order, it was 2 beignets for each sandwich ordered! We meekly asked for a box to go and took our 3 remaining beignets home for breakfast the next day.

We will definitely return and try some more of their sandwiches, very tasty and probably the best New Orleans type food we've had since our trip to NOLA last fall! Friendly staff and good service, and a nice atmosphere inside the restaurant.

• Visited May 2014

Las Vegas
“Po-Boys as the name says”
Reviewed April 6, 2014

As the name says the menu has a very varied list of po-boys but nothing else which is a disappointment. The food was good and the home made potato chips were great but would have liked to see more of a New Orleans menu. My husband and I both ordered the large sandwich (for only a couple of dollars difference it is well worth it) and we each took half of it home for another meal. He had a combination of shrimp, oysters and catfish and I had shrimp. We had them "dressed" with lettuce, tomato, pickle and sauce and the taste was wonderful.

• Visited April 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Happiness and a heart attack”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Oh. My. Where to start with this wonderful gem? First of all, do not dine here if you are on a diet. You will either destroy your diet, or weep when you read the menu and see all of the delicious, fried goods you will miss out on.

I went with a friend and we split the following: one large Streetcar, one muffaletta, an order of fried okra and last of all, the best fried pickles I have ever had. Ever. We were so stuffed, so happy and then we ordered the bread pudding. Sweet mercy, that was pure, sticky Heaven.

I went home with a huge box of leftovers - and honestly, I rarely eat the leftovers and didn't think this sort of food would keep well. However, I'm enjoying the cold leftovers - 2 days later for lunch and it's all still so darned tasty I could cry.

Give this place a shot - but only if you can afford a very splurgetastic meal. I want to eat here again so bad, but I'm training for a marathon. However, I already know where I'm having my victory dinner after! XOXO Streetcar Po-Boys!!

• Visited March 2014