“Mediocre pricey food, Terrible service”
Review of Rao's

Rao's
Reserve with OpenTable
Rao's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #236 of 4,868 Restaurants in Las Vegas
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: The Strip
Louisiana
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Mediocre pricey food, Terrible service”
Reviewed August 28, 2008

We chose Rao's for a special meal for our last night in Vegas. What a mistake!! The food was okay, but nothing special - especially not for the price. The main problem was that the waiter ignored us. After taking the order, we didn't see him again until he brought the check. We usually tip generously- but not that night! Here's a good tip - Do not eat at Rao's.

• Indonesian first
Philadelphia, PA
“A wonderful dinner”
Reviewed August 17, 2008

We went to Rao's in February when we went to Las Vegas to celebrate our anniversary. We had a fantastic dinner.
We had a fantastic appetizer with calamari and zucchini. I had shrimp for dinner and they were the size of the palm of my hand. They were wonderful. My husband had rigatoni and meatballs. I thought the meatballs were great. It seems like they may flash fry them after they cook them to give them a crispier outside.

We loved the atmosphere, the food, and the decor. We were also seated where we could see the Venus Garden just out the window - which is where we were married a year before.

We wish Rao's had been open when we were planning our wedding because it would have been great to have our wedding reception there.

2 Thank tyragirl
Florida
“Totally Ordinary”
Reviewed August 7, 2008

The food, that is, although I give them high marks for atmosphere and service.

My girlfriend and I visited Rao’s on a recent Monday evening. Since I don’t expect I’ll ever get to (or into) their legendary restaurant in NYC, I was anxiously awaiting this evening. We had an early reservation, and arrived even earlier, so were seated immediately. Asked if we preferred a booth or a table, we fortunately chose a booth, which got us seated in the area of the restaurant that replicates the original New York location.

There are four booths on one side, three on the other, and three large tables in the center that can seat as many as eight people. I figured their maximum capacity as 52, but of course there are other seating areas as well. The walls were lined with photos of family members and celebrities, which was a nice touch. The wooden booths were a bit hard on my back, but for the sake of authenticity, I was fine with it.

Our server, Tracy J., was a dream. While she had several tables to care for, she acted as if we were her only table, giving us all the time we wanted to discuss either the restaurant or the rather lengthy menu. She made suggestions, and seemed to instinctively know when we needed something. My rating would be a full point lower were it not for Tracy.

Telling us that the portions were quite large, we took her suggestion that we share an appetizer, pasta course, and main course, a strategy that proved wise. We started with clams oreganata that were disappointing. The clams were fine once you got to them, but it took a hammer and chisel to find them. The breading atop the clams was actually scorched and had the consistency of charcoal.

For our pasta course we ordered linguini with marinara sauce, and a side order of their famous meatballs. The portion of linguini was so small that we barely had enough of it to split, but that was OK. The sauce was thick but bland, bland, bland. Spices are, I feel, the key to Italian cooking, and this poor sauce certainly begged for some. The meatballs were huge, about the size of billiard balls, but a bit hard, not terribly tasty, and accompanied by that same dreary sauce that must have come from a Contadina can. My mother made better meatballs, and she was German-Irish.

When the veal parmigana arrived for our main course I knew what Tracy meant by ‘quite large portions’, since it covered almost the entire dinner plate, and turned out to be more than we could finish. Unfortunately, it had been pounded ultra thin, so that the breading was about as thick as the meat, and again, the spices had apparently gone AWOL. On the positive side, they pour a healthy drink, the red wine Tracy suggested for my g/f was excellent, and the cannoli we shared for dessert was very good.

The total bill, before tip, was just under $220, really not bad for Vegas, but more than enough for such mediocre food. There is a local restaurant I visit often that serves food twice as good, for less than half the price. As tough a market as NYC is, I have to believe that the food served there is far superior to what we were served in Vegas.

2 Thank drthorp
Pasadena, CA
“same as others have said, good food, overpriced”
Reviewed July 14, 2008

I read the reviews on this site and agree 100% with whoever said the food is good, but overpriced. here's our dinner this past Saturday night, 7/12/08 for two:
my husband wasn't that hungry so we had:

2 glasses of Soave
1 Caesar salad
1 order of linguine w/marinara
1 order of linguine w/ clams
1 dessert: profiteroles (and they weren't that good)
total before tip: $91

I had to try this for myself and am glad I did, but will not be returning.

tip: for good pizza not at a fancy restaurant, go across the street to Flamingo,next to Voga and order a margarita pizza, excellent at a very decent price!

4 Thank socal4me
Vancouver, Canada
“Very Good”
Reviewed July 2, 2008

Wow, I'm surprised to read some of the negative reviews. We had a great time. We ate there this past Sunday and liked it so much that we booked again for Monday night. We did find the music too loud on the Monday night but the service and food were excellent.