“Long Let Platinum Reign!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Platinum Hotel and Spa

Platinum Hotel and Spa
Ranked #11 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
New York City, New York
“Long Let Platinum Reign!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2008

Aug 17th - 20th. What a beautiful hotel -- it fulfilled my requirements for a nice place to spend a few days. I had asked for and received a higher floor (16th) with a breathtaking mountain view. I'm from NYC so looking at sky not obscured by sky scrapers was a dream come true. I sat on the balcony each morning watching the sunrise, drinking coffee and observing Vegas revitalizing itself. My family drove down from California to visit me and were so taken by my suite --- they are thinking of holding their 40th anniversary party there! I'm also pre-planning a family reunion from the grandparents to the grandchildren - everyone would be so comfortable here.On behalf of all of us that don't smoke -- that was the biggest draw to the hotel. After cruising the mega hotels, I was so glad to be able to go back to Platinum and not inhale one more spiral of smoke. You can't go wrong in choosing this hotel. As others have mentioned Bally's is 2 blocks away, as well as the monorail. But that home away from home is an experience that can't be beat.

• Liked — Location and that it was non smoking
  • Disliked — No problems at all.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank requestaword

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,001)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
Danbury, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2008

The Platinum would have you belive that it is a really high end place at a great price, but it actually is high end rooms with service that is average at best.

I arrived at 11:30 to check in and the girl at the front desk informed me that my room was not ready yet (I figured that might happen, no big deal). She told me I could upgrade to a better room for either $45 or $60 per night. I declined and asked when the room would be ready. She said 4pm. I was prepared to hang out and do something, I asked if there was a chance the room would be ready earlier, she at first said no. I inquired if maybe, possibly, I could check back one of the rooms might be ready, she seemed hesitant to admit that one of the rooms in the entire hotel could be ready then, but conceded it could be. She said she’d check me in and I could just come back for the key, well during the check in process she tells me she is upgrading me for free, that’s awfully nice I think. I get to my room, excited to freshen up and think to myself, this seems exactly like the room I expected (my sister confirmed it was a standard suite when she arrived later on). So I wonder if they tell you there are no rooms to coerce you into an upgrade, I thought about complaining, but figured I’d let it go.
Then I couldn’t get the TV on or adjust the AC. I called down to the front desk and she informed me I had a “green room” where you need to insert the room key into a slot near the door to activate some of the lights, TV and AC. Gee, you think they would have told me that when I checked in.
The next problem was with the AC, I could adjust it and it would work for about 5-10 minutes and then shut off. I stopped by the front desk, the girl who checked me in said “I don’t think you can adjust the air”. I walked away thinking that didn’t make any sense and when I returned from the pool later I called down again and they sent up a maintenance guy to look at it, sure enough he had to reset the system. He even changed the AC filter, he was very polite and quick about it.
The suite was quite spacious with kitchen, living room, bedroom, although the toilet is not separate from the shower or sinks or tub, so you can only have one person in there at a time, which is a weird use of space for such a large suite. It was very clean, although we found if you were in the room in the morning when housekeeping came they either wouldn’t come back or would call to ask if you wanted the room serviced.
The location is a bit off the strip, which I knew. The walk to Bally’s wasn’t so much far to enter the side door by the Sport’s book, it was a little sketchy though, not sure I’d feel safe if I was a single woman. Right next to the hotel is an AM/PM market and an abandoned dry cleaner that has about 4 dudes who look like Tom Hanks from the movie Castaway living in front of it. There is also a 7-11. So there are all kinds of snacks, etc available nearby. This is good since in the hotel itself there is only one restaurant and room service available. There is a bar downstairs, but it was empty most of the time. There is no quick place available for coffee inside, you can make it yourself in your room or do like I did and walk to the AM/PM, which was fine with me since I got to see a guy who looked exactly like Eddie Murphy as Velvet Jones from SNL.

The Pool area is nice, I don’t really have any complaints about it, although there is no lifeguard or supervision there so if you get a rowdy group they will jump in and horse around, etc. Doesn’t bother me, but it might some people.

The Spa is nice, we went on Monday and we were the only people there. They have a discounted Swedish Massage Monday-Thursday $75 for 50 minutes.

Overall, I might return, but I wouldn't go out of my way to stay here again.

• Liked — Spacious Rooms
  • Disliked — The upsell at check in
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank spinkid
GRMGR, Guest Relations Manager at Platinum Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, August 24, 2008
Dear Spinkid,

We strive to accommodate each guest upon arrival. This is, of course, based on room availability. I apologize a room was not immediately available for you. Often times larger suites are available due to less demand for these rooms over certain dates. Please rest assured we DO NOT "coerce you into an upgrade".

It was unfortunate your room A/C did not function properly upon arrival although I was pleased to hear it was resolved quickly for you. Regarding your speculation about a "rowdy group" in pool the Platinum respects the right for each of guests to enjoy themselves without infringing on the good times of others. I am not sure where you have stayed previously but, hotels do not have life guards per say, however, this area is supervised and we have not had issues with rowdy behavior.

I am happy t you enjoyed some of the hotels amenities and hope that you would forgive us for any inconvenience you encountered and make a return visit to the Platinum.

Claire
Dallas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2008

If you don't mind not having a casino in the lobby, this hotel is an excellent choice! We stayed there for a week in December (I forgot to write the review until now). Very easy access to the strip - we walked up 1 block and entered at Bally's back entrance. The hotel is wonderful. We found a cheaper rate than what the hotel was offering through the I Prefer website. You have to join (but it's free). We were offered a $159 rate through the hotel but received a $129 rate through I Prefer. Our room had a full kitchen with granite, a very large bathroom w/ marble, and a large bedroom. If you get a chance, try the restaurant at the top of the hotel.

• Stayed December 2007
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank TravDallas
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2008

We have just returned from a trip to Las Vegas staying at the Platinum. We were there for our son's 21st birthday. The hotel was perfect. As we have a boy and girl the suite was ideal. We didn't find it any problem walking to the strip (only the heat was a problem!). You can actually see the strip from the hotel. The hotel staff were always very helpful and we wouldn't hesitate to recommend a visit.

1 Thank gtovey
Grand Haven, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2008

My wife and I spent only one night here en route to CA, but if we ever return to Vegas we'll definitely stay again. The suite was gorgeous. Very clean, tastefully appointed and with a wonderful view. The staff was outstanding, helpful and always with a smile. Our only complaint is that we didn't have enough time to enjoy all of the facilities, such as the pool and restaurant. Although the surrounding block isn't the best, we never felt concerned for our safety. It's a short walk (5 minutes) to Bally's and the strip. Be sure to look for the best deal by using all available websites, however. The prices vary greatly.

• Liked — accomodations
  • Disliked — surrounding location
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank topfan
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2008

The Platinum Hotel features luxurious rooms that are more like apartments than hotel rooms. It is less crowded and much quieter than the mega hotels on the strip. I also appreciated that the entire property is non-smoking.

Check in and check out was quick and efficient. We were upgraded to a Princess Suite even though I booked a Solitaire Suite. The bellhop was courteous and informative. The valets were always quick in retrieving my car.

You can get an idea of how nice the rooms are from other traveler's pictures. The kitchen was very handy because we cooked some meals in the room. The kitchen includes plates, cups, and utensils. If you need pots and pans you have to ask the front desk. It was great having a refrigerator so that we could bring back leftovers and have easy access to the ice and water dispenser.

The air conditioner kept the room very cool and it was much appreciated because of triple digit temperatures. Housekeeping came everyday and did a decent job of cleaning. There were some crumbs that weren't swept up but not a big deal. The pool is decent sized and wasn't crowded. They have pool chairs to lie down and tan on.

I liked that the hotel didn't nickel and dime me. Other hotels tack on so many fees and surcharges but the Platinum didn't.

The Platinum was an oasis where we could relax and cool down after a hot day in the desert. I would stay here again.

• Liked — Hotel Room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank ForTheMare
Wirral
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2008

Beautiful suites, checkin very friendly and very efficient, we had booked Solitaire suite with twin beds but there were none available, we were upgraded to a larger strip view Princess suite provided with rollaway bed all at no extra cost, this worked out much better as my husband & I had a kingsize bed in the main bedroom; in the lounge area my 10 year old daughter had double sofa bed & my 12 year old son had the single rollaway. Plus this suite had a washing machine and dryer with free detergent topped up on request (so we brought back cases full of clean clothes (a holiday first). We were on the 9th floor with views to the pool. The cleaner was perfect, if we left little notes requests were met ie dishwasher tablets etc. The dishwasher was emptied or if we had put on a wash & it had finished it would be emptied and put plates away, fluffy towels replaced, toiletries replaced. Wish I could have a daily cleaner at home, felt totally spoilt. The pool was great to have a cool afternoon dip after being out in the heat, towels are provided at poolside so no need to take your own beach towels. We stayed for 10 nights and loved every minute, having 2 x TV's and Bose music system along with lots of space, we found it very relaxing, getting ready in the morning/evening was stress free. Only shame was we had to come home.Tips - Ellis Island nextdoor fab for breakfast or eating at anytime as its open 24hours, traditional American atmosphere and very good value and huge fruit platter $9 enough for 4, steaks tender $7. Seven Eleven great for stocking up the huge American fridge which has a water dispenser so no need to buy bottled water. Recommend Big Horn Wild West Tours for Hoover Dam & Grand Canyon Tours in a Hummer, picked up from Hotel, check out www.bighornwildwesttours.com (better than going by plane as given flight slots time at tour is rushed to enable return flight) this company is very organised and nothing rushed.

• Liked — Modern & spotless!
  • Disliked — Having to leave it to come home!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family